The Student Room Group

Is there any benefit of spending additional year in Scottish Uni?

So basically let's say there is a course requires ABB for entry. There is a England Uni offer 3 Years Degree BSc/BEng and there is a Scottish Uni offer 4 Years Degree BSc/BEng. Both uni first year have the same entry requirement (ABB)but the Scottish uni require 1 more year. Is it worth spending that another year for that degree in that particular uni? Would it look much more better in CV/ the degree ? Otherwise it would be pointless of spending another year if you can just get a degree in just 3 year in any England unis. I know there is a direct entry to second year in Scottish uni , but it requires very high proficiency in the field.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by kingoz
So basically let's say there is a course requires ABB for entry. There is a England Uni offer 3 Years Degree BSc/BEng and there is a Scottish Uni offer 4 Years Degree BSc/BEng. Both uni first year have the same entry requirement (ABB)but the Scottish uni require 1 more year. Is it worth spending that another year for that degree in that particular uni? Would it look much more better in CV/ the degree ? Otherwise it would be pointless of spending another year if you can just get a degree in just 3 year in any England unis. I know there is a direct entry to second year in Scottish uni , but it requires very high proficiency in the field.

Well, it's worth it if you think that you'll finish and you won't have £27000 debt to pay back.
Original post by kingoz

Are you Scottish or English?
Reply 3
Original post by elekro
Well, it's worth it if you think that you'll finish and you won't have £27000 debt to pay back.

What do you mean? in England 3 year is like £27000 you have to pay back later on. And scotland is 36000 insane...
Reply 4
Original post by AndrewSCO
Are you Scottish or English?

I'm English from Newcastle :biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by kingoz
What do you mean? in England 3 year is like £27000 you have to pay back later on. And scotland is 36000 insane...

wait what?! a lot of my friends (from EU) went to Scotland because it's free?! Have I been living a huge lie? :|
Original post by kingoz
I'm English from Newcastle :biggrin:

Oh okay. I was gonna say if you were scottish you'd get free tuition fees.

I guess it would be beneficial in that you get a kind of foundation year and it might be less stressful. Erm.. honestly, can't think of much else that makes it a benefit
Original post by elekro
wait what?! a lot of my friends (from EU) went to Scotland because it's free?! Have I been living a huge lie? :|

90% sure only Scottish people get free tuition
Original post by elekro

Actually after a quick check maybe it is Scotland and EU. Or at least it's 1.8k max.

Rest of UK and international are 9k
Original post by elekro

EU citizens get free uni in scotand, unless you are resident in England, Wales or NI. Someone from Derry city NI will pay 9k, whereas their cousin in Donegal, a few miles away will pay nothing.
Reply 10

"Undergraduate Students from the Scotland or the European Union There are no direct course fees for undergraduate students from a country within the European Union. First degree students from Scotland or the rest of the EU studying in Scotland are entitled to have their tuition fees paid by the Student Awards Agency for Scotland (SAAS)."

that's a direct paste from
http://www.studyinscotland.org/how-to-apply/funding-and-fees/

but now you got me thinking, I'll ask my friend tomorrow!
Reply 11
Original post by Et Tu, Brute?
EU citizens get free uni in scotand, unless you are resident in England, Wales or NI. Someone from Derry city NI will pay 9k, whereas their cousin in Donegal, a few miles away will pay nothing.

That's a bit harsh from the Scottish isn't it! Why do they do that?!
Original post by elekro

I think it's a law that you can't discriminate against EU countries, so we have to offer it to them too, but don't need to to you guys :colone:
Original post by elekro

I guess they take the ground that education should be free for all, but English universities don't let Scots study for free for example. So they don't allow English students to study for free either. That said, other EU countries would charge Scottish students yet they still get free uni in Scotland, so if that outlook is a little contradictory (unless it is an EU law or something).

On top of that, the Scottish unis would be flooded with applications from RUK (rest of the UK) students if they didn't charge them.

I'm just not sure why they charge the full 9k a year. When students paid 3.5k a year, the Scottish unis only charged 1.8k, so even with the extra year it was still cheaper to get a degree in Scotland. I believe now they just cap it at 27k, so studying for 4 years costs the same as 3 in other parts of the UK.

There was actually a loop hole that was discovered about 5years ago where students in Northern Ireland who had Irish passports were able to claim EU status and get it for free...they closed that loop hole immediately and based it entirely on where you live.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 14
I think it's a law that you can't discriminate against EU countries, so we have to offer it to them too, but don't need to to you guys :colone:

Lol I'm EU. Then why doesn't the law count for England unis?! (I am VERY bad with England-Scotland-Wales-Ireland politics, please excuse my ignorance)
Original post by elekro
Lol I'm EU. Then why doesn't the law count for England unis?! (I am VERY bad with England-Scotland-Wales-Ireland politics, please excuse my ignorance)

Oh my bad :lol: feel free to come enjoy our free tuition then :tongue:

Detailed pretty well above^^ Everyone would apply to Scotland, and we aren't obligated to give it to rUK but are to EU. The Scottish government pay for it, but probably can't afford to pay for EVERYONE
Reply 16
Original post by Et Tu, Brute?
I guess they take the ground that education should be free for all, but English universities don't let Scots study for free for example. So they don't allow English students to study for free either. That said, other EU countries would charge Scottish students yet they still get free uni in Scotland, so if that outlook is a little contradictory (unless it is an EU law or something).

On top of that, the Scottish unis would be flooded with applications from RUK (rest of the UK) students if they didn't charge them.

I'm just not sure why they charge the full 9k a year. When students paid 3.5k a year, the Scottish unis only charged 1.8k, so even with the extra year it was still cheaper to get a degree in Scotland. I believe now they just cap it at 27k, so studying for 4 years costs the same as 3 in other parts of the UK.

the thing about Scots not studying for free in England makes sense, didn't think of that. I know that there's a kind of rivalry between England and Scotland. Why is that? (or should I not go off topic on this thread and just start another one?)
Original post by elekro
the thing about Scots not studying for free in England makes sense, didn't think of that. I know that there's a kind of rivalry between England and Scotland. Why is that? (or should I not go off topic on this thread and just start another one?)

All independence stuff going back 800 years or whatever. But I don't think that has anything to do with it. Scottish government controls Scottish education, we get our own budget for it just as England, Wales and N Ireland do and we chose to spend our budget on giving Scottish people free education. And in turn, by law, have to give EU students the same luxury.
Reply 18
All independence stuff going back 800 years or whatever. But I don't think that has anything to do with it. Scottish government controls Scottish education, we get our own budget for it just as England, Wales and N Ireland do and we chose to spend our budget on giving Scottish people free education. And in turn, by law, have to give EU students the same luxury.

Ahh fair enough. Well free education/learning is always a good thing :smile:
I was looking into this a week or so ago - none of the above gives a definite reason. There must be a strong, law/ reason as to why the entirety of the EU apart from Scotland's neighbouring UK countries are given free tuition. Anyone?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending