The Student Room Group

Swiss win EU case - Muslim girls must swim with boys

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MeYou2Night
That's diffwrent - Taking offence is subjective therefore things that can cause offence can't and shouldn't be legislated against.

I'd say the same if Christian's also kicked up a fuss (which I know they don't - but if they did) about drawing Jesus.

Or anything else that could be deemed offensive - it's stupid to legislate against as you'd have to legislate for everything as someone will go "it offends me", at nearly everything.

You're probably the type that would force a woman to shake your hand coz its the norms of your society :rolleyes: (if you're a guy that is). Its so simple to solve the swimming issue, just let the kids sits aside while the other kids swim. When girls in my primary school were on their periods they would sit aside while we all swam and it didn't cause any inconveniance. I'm sure you're opinion on this case would be different if the people objecting to mixed swimming were jews:colonhash:. Lol the hypocrisy in this intolerant society is unreal.
Original post by Josb
So they can swim and avoid drowning?

The parents can be made to arrange to pay for and send their kids to single gender swimming classes
Reply 202
Original post by tammie123
oh so religious freedom and freedom of expression means nothing yh? Or does it only mean something when it suits you? And what if the muslim in question is a native? People like you say that you have the right to draw the muslim prophet because of freedom of expression but this freedom of expression suddenly dissappears when a muslim is involved. Its so pathetic

Religious freedom is not an excuse to get a special treatment.

Do you also think that children below ten can have a "religious freedom"?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Josb
Religious freedom is not an excuse to get a special treatment.

Do you also think that children below ten can have a "religious freedom"?

special treatment pfft, muslims aren't even treated like humans in your intolerant society
Reply 204
You're probably the type that would force a woman to shake your hand coz its the norms of your society :rolleyes: (if you're a guy that is). Its so simple to solve the swimming issue, just let the kids sits aside while the other kids swim. When girls in my primary school were on their periods they would sit aside while we all swam and it didn't cause any inconveniance. I'm sure you're opinion on this case would be different if the people objecting to mixed swimming were jews:colonhash:. Lol the hypocrisy in this intolerant society is unreal.

You're comparing Islam with periods? Does Islam make you bleed?

I do think that Judaism is as toxic as Islam.
Reply 205
special treatment pfft, muslims aren't even treated like humans in your intolerant society

Can you elaborate how Muslims aren't be treated like humans?

All it is asked there is that Muslims must behave like the rest of the society they are living in. Hardly inhuman. If you want to know what is a real intolerant society, you should look at Muslim countries.
Original post by Josb
You're comparing Islam with periods? Does Islam make you bleed?

I do think that Judaism is as toxic as Islam.

lol a bit of a dumb comment to make, I'm just saying its simple to solve this issue and then the parents can be made to arrange and pay for single sex swimming classes which the kids can do in their own time so they know how to swim. It's so bloody simple
Original post by Josb
Can you elaborate how Muslims aren't be treated like humans?

All it is asked there is that Muslims must behave like the rest of the society they are living in. Hardly inhuman. If you want to know what is a real intolerant society, you should look at Muslim countries.

yeah you're society is so great, I feel so accepted here and I'm treated so nicely. Not. :colonhash:
Reply 208
lol a bit of a dumb comment to make, I'm just saying its simple to solve this issue and then the parents can be made to arrange and pay for single sex swimming classes which the kids can do in their own time so they know how to swim. It's so bloody simple

Can they also ask to skip the biology class, because it goes against their religion? They would study it on their own time, so there wouldn't be any problem.
Original post by Josb
Can they also ask to skip the biology class, because it goes against their religion? They would study it on their own time, so there wouldn't be any problem.

in this case no, if the request is reasonable I don't see why not, it reflects well on the society and proves it to be tolerant and accepting.

No i wouldn't force anyone to shake my hand - what an odd thing to do.

If they're on their period that's different and has nothing to do with them being a Muslim - so that argument is redundant.

I'm against any sort of special treatment for religion so your assumption is wrong. I don't remember the last times Jews took this sort of action anyway.

The saying "when in rome" comes to mind.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Josb
So they can swim and avoid drowning?

Last time I checked, swimming wasn't on the list of things you do routinely enough to warrant a risk of death, especially in landlocked Switzerland.
Original post by MeYou2Night

If they're on their period that's different and has nothing to do with them being a Muslim - so that argument is redundant.

I'm against any sort of special treatment for religion so your assumption is wrong. I don't remember the last times Jews took this sort of action anyway.

The saying "when in rome" comes to mind.

What if the girl said that she cant shake your hand because shes muslim, I bet youd force her to shake and touch your hand then. I gave that example to prove that theres an easy solution to this swimming issue. Just let the kids sit aside while the other kids swim and make the parents pay for and arrange swimming classes that are single gendered for their kids
What if the girl said that she cant shake your hand because shes muslim, I bet youd force her to shake and touch your hand then. I gave that example to prove that theres an easy solution to this swimming issue. Just let the kids sit aside while the other kids swim and make the parents pay for and arrange swimming classes that are single gendered for their kids

I repeat:

Well the, local Government in Basel, the Swiss federal government and the ECHR disagree with you. You should take it up with them.

Plus you also need to understand Swiss culture first. It also bans the building of minarets if you didnt know.
Reply 214
Original post by Gladstone1885
Last time I checked, swimming wasn't on the list of things you do routinely enough to warrant a risk of death, especially in landlocked Switzerland.

There are lakes and rivers in Switzerland, and Swiss citizens can go abroad in countries with seas.

50 people died of drowning in Switzerland in 2015, and 49 in 2016 (stats were stopped in September): https://www.slrg.ch/fileadmin/user_upload/SLRG_CH_2015/Medien/Ertrinkungsstatistik/Zwischenbilanz_2016.pdf

It seems enough to justify compulsory swimming lessons to me.
Original post by Josb
There are lakes and rivers in Switzerland, and Swiss citizens can go abroad in countries with seas.

50 people died of drowning in Switzerland in 2015, and 49 in 2016 (stats were stopped in September): https://www.slrg.ch/fileadmin/user_upload/SLRG_CH_2015/Medien/Ertrinkungsstatistik/Zwischenbilanz_2016.pdf

It seems enough to justify compulsory swimming lessons to me.

Your worldview justifies a lot of compulsion if .00000625% of the population dying each year of a given activity warrants compulsion.
Reply 216
Original post by Gladstone1885
Your worldview justifies a lot of compulsion if .00000625% of the population dying each year of a given activity warrants compulsion.

Perhaps this low prevalence of deaths by drowning is the result of the compulsory swimming classes...
Original post by Josb
Perhaps this low prevalence of deaths by drowning is the result of the compulsory swimming classes...

Syria shares a drowning rate with Switzerland and I'm pretty sure swimming lessons aren't their priority over there
oh so religious freedom and freedom of expression means nothing yh? Or does it only mean something when it suits you? And what if the muslim in question is a native? People like you say that you have the right to draw the muslim prophet because of freedom of expression but this freedom of expression suddenly dissappears when a muslim is involved. Its so pathetic

Since when has freedom of religion meant that every religious requirement must be adopted by a secular state? Switzerland has every right to assess which religious practices go against its liberal and cultural values and thus which to make illegal. Your argument that every religious practice must be obeyed no matter what is absurd.
Original post by Dodgypirate

Hilarious :colonhash:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending