The Student Room Group

Article: Why league tables aren't the only thing you should look at

It's so important to take league tables with a huge pinch of salt. All they really show is universities ranked based on factors which might be nothing to do with your own preferences. I can guarantee if I wanted to make a league table with a certain university at the top I could easily do it by playing with methodology.

The best thing to do is to work out what it is you as an individual want and see which universities offer that. So if proximity to a particular city is more important to you than student-staff ratio (which is often a very deceptive statistic as it doesn't actually show class sizes at all), give that a greater weighting in your own decision making process.
People look at them to determine if it will look for employers when they see it. I don't think many look at them as ''wow this uni must have great extra curriculum activities.
Original post by Circle Pay
All they really show is universities ranked based on factors which might be nothing to do with your own preferences.

So unequivocally objective criteria such a student to staff ratio, student employment after 6 months, and quantity and quality of published research might not be aligned with the 'preferences' of a student?

Do you think the publishers of those league tables have no interest in making them robust? Do you really think you are smarter than them?
It's like today people who are married do not look better than single people and single people aren't weird. In fact remaining single is more beneficial because you can spend more money which the economy loves which if anything came to anything would be on paper a bonus for any single person for some university the part is greater than the whole.
Original post by Anfanny
In fact remaining single is more beneficial because you can spend more money which the economy loves [...]

Nonsense. I am married, split rent, utilities, groceries, and other expenses (think hotel rooms), and, as a result, have way more disposable income which I am very happy to spend.
(edited 7 years ago)
Read as: "We really want to advertise Surrey. Go to Surrey. Students are happy at Surrey. Are you at Surrey yet? NO? WHY?"
Original post by TitanicTeutonicPhil
Nonsense. I am married, split rent, utilities, groceries, and other expenses (think hotel rooms), and, as a result, have way more disposable income which I am very happy to spend.

Okay fantastic was waiting for this. Yes it really works from what I hear but my aunties outnumber then men and the living situation with them is rife they don't look after the male kids as much and expect a bit much from men and actively hate them and say hateful things about me to me and the same goes for the rest (a bit too much and not joking haha) and and the divorces are 30 percent more than average. It would be a risk for me based on experience to get married etc due to this. I don't hate women just fyi but facts are facts from experience and unfortunately until I get in a good position I won't be as blessed as you are!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending