The Student Room Group

Financial support for vet bills

I live in a house of all students and we have a cat. We think it has an overactive thyroid and should really see a vet but we have no money. I know support is available for people on low incomes, but is there anything for students?
Original post by fkfkj
I live in a house of all students and we have a cat. We think it has an overactive thyroid and should really see a vet but we have no money. I know support is available for people on low incomes, but is there anything for students?

Split the bill equally?
Reply 2
Original post by KyleH123
Split the bill equally?

If it is a thyroid problem she will have to go on medication long term, something we simply cannot afford. If it was a one-off vet visit then splitting the bill wouldn't be a problem!
(edited 7 years ago)
I doubt it. The RSPCA / Blue Cross may help. But usually, you've got to be on benefits to get any help.
Reply 4
Original post by Tiger Rag
I doubt it. The RSPCA / Blue Cross may help. But usually, you've got to be on benefits to get any help.

Thanks! Will try and find out :smile:
Share the cost, fundraise, stick a collection tin out and make a good sob story, or ask parents for money.
Original post by fergijane88
Share the cost, fundraise, stick a collection tin out and make a good sob story, or ask parents for money.

Or guilt trap fergi into giving it tya
Or guilt trap fergi into giving it tya

if i was rich i would, god save the cats
if i was rich i would, god save the cats

you spelt dogs wrong
you spelt dogs wrong

Ffs, god save the cats&dogs

Spoiler

Ffs, god save the cats&dogs

Spoiler

god couldn't save him in time
Why would you get a pet when you knew you couldn't afford vet's bills if it got ill? Take the cat to the vets ASAP. If you genuinely can't afford the vet's bills to keep it healthy you need to rehome it. You cannot expect a living creature to be ill just because you didn't think about how you'd afford to pay if something happened.
Reply 12
Original post by SmallTownGirl
Why would you get a pet when you knew you couldn't afford vet's bills if it got ill? Take the cat to the vets ASAP. If you genuinely can't afford the vet's bills to keep it healthy you need to rehome it. You cannot expect a living creature to be ill just because you didn't think about how you'd afford to pay if something happened.

The previous owner abused the cat and kicked her out, so we took her in. She is happier than ever. My aunt plans on taking the cat when we move out of this place, but we would rather go to the vet ASAP. Unfortunately for us, it is not as simple as asking daddy for money....

We have discussed splitting the price and are happy to do so, but I know many people who have got financial support with their pets. I guess I won't ask on here again... Lol.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending