The Student Room Group

'Variation' in A level choices

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mark252623
Whoa-...
Believe it not music is actually mostly an essay writing subject at A level anyway.. I get if it's not expected as one though lol
Thanks (:.. Ijust realized if LSE don't accept maths and further maths as two but only one then economics will be my third to them and that's not acceptable to them... I Need to do some research right now

History, economics, maths and further maths may be a very good choice especially if you're aiming for LSE!
Reply 21
I would advise you be careful since you said about being sick of music and wanting rid of it after A Levels. I know LSE for Economics at least although joint maths courses are different, only consider Further Maths as a fourth subject, so you would be stuck with music for the two years even if you did end up getting sick of it
You've already had a lot of good advice, but why would you study music if you hate it before you've even began the A-Level? It's going to be 2 years of your life so you might want to consider another subject that you might enjoy more.
Original post by mark252623
Okay so I'm in year 11 and I've been asked to choose my A levels. I can change my decision if needed...

Basically, I want to go into investment banking (probably) (like I like money,) so LSE is the place I'm aiming for (gotta have those high aims.) Problem is I've noticed people saying that 'variation' is important in your A level choices. I'm thinking:

- Maths
- Further Maths
- Economics
- Music

Now here's the question, music is variation.. right...? Like.. its not gonna be discarded as a useless A level.. right??
(I find music a bit of a joke but its an easy A* for me.... literally..)

Admittedly I'm not an admissions tutor but given that maths, further maths and economics is considered too narrow a set of A levels one does need to add a 4th A level if they want an offer from LSE but I'd doubt that adding a subject such as music would particularly set yourself apart from the crowd, especially given that the top applicants would likely have undertaken the first three subjects and a more academically challenging A level such as say physics or chemistry
Original post by brojra
I would advise you be careful since you said about being sick of music and wanting rid of it after A Levels. I know LSE for Economics at least although joint maths courses are different, only consider Further Maths as a fourth subject, so you would be stuck with music for the two years even if you did end up getting sick of it

Original post by Inexorably
You've already had a lot of good advice, but why would you study music if you hate it before you've even began the A-Level? It's going to be 2 years of your life so you might want to consider another subject that you might enjoy more.

I've done music all my life, currently I do around 3 hours a day atleast... It's not something I feel like I can just give up.. At the time of me doing A level I'll actually be doing less music anyway, so hopefully that should be fine..

Original post by Buymoria
Admittedly I'm not an admissions tutor but given that maths, further maths and economics is considered too narrow a set of A levels one does need to add a 4th A level if they want an offer from LSE but I'd doubt that adding a subject such as music would particularly set yourself apart from the crowd, especially given that the top applicants would likely have undertaken the first three subjects and a more academically challenging A level such as say physics or chemistry

Not so sure, I think music isn't awful as long as you get a good grade.. (according to the others on here anyway)

Quick Reply

Latest