The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

St Andrews Hopefuls 2017

Scroll to see replies

Hi, I'm applying to study biology (C100) at St Andrew's... just wondering if there are any other biologists out there!! 🌱🦎🌷
(edited 7 years ago)
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 481
Original post by slothonist
Current 1st year student at St Andrews, feel free to ask me any questions :smile:

Hi, what's the general opinion on student life? mainly stuff like bars/ clubs? Do a lot of people travel to Dundee or is there enough in St Andrews? Also how expensive is it to travel to Dundee etc for nightlife/ gigs?

Original post by Skipper12345
Hi, I'm applying to study biology (C100) at St Andrew's... just wondering if there are any other biologists out there!! 🌱🦎🌷

I applied for biochemistry (not straight biology but it's under the biology department) Is St Andrews your first choice??
Original post by clucky_chick
Congratulations on your offers! How long did it take for you to hear back from Warwick? I'm expecting them to take a little bit of time as they have changed the philosophy curriculum, and have been asking applicants via e-mail if they are still interested in applying / giving support for those wanting to change courses.

Yeah, I'm so impatient. I just want to know their decision asap. But I will be really upset if they don't give me an offer. Probably hibernate for a few weeks, haha. :smile:

Hi! They were fast for me actually, I think my offer came in two days after I submitted my application😊 Ah I see, I did apply for straight psychology though so yeah I see how that might be annoying! Also I'm guessing yours has to go through two departments so takes twice as long.:frown: And me, is St. A your first choice?
What modules do you plan on taking Psy people? I'm thinking ; bio,social anthropology and statistics or Linguistics ...
Original post by lydia_mcq
I applied for biochemistry (not straight biology but it's under the biology department) Is St Andrews your first choice??

Yes it is! I haven't actually had a chance to visit yet (as I live in Cornwall, which is quite a distance away!), but I'm sooooo excited and feel like it's perfect for me!! Is it your first choice too?
Original post by Skipper12345
Yes it is! I haven't actually had a chance to visit yet (as I live in Cornwall, which is quite a distance away!), but I'm sooooo excited and feel like it's perfect for me!! Is it your first choice too?

I'm not 100% sure yet but I think I will put it as first choice - I hadn't been yet either because I'm from Northern Ireland but my sister is in her 1st year there studying maths and she absolutely loves it, I'm going to visit her there in Easter so im very excited!
I'm not 100% sure yet but I think I will put it as first choice - I hadn't been yet either because I'm from Northern Ireland but my sister is in her 1st year there studying maths and she absolutely loves it, I'm going to visit her there in Easter so im very excited!

how does NI work in terms of fees?
Original post by Dave1998
Heyy I'm applying for Arabic, Russian and French!!! Is St. Andrews your first choice?

Hi!! St Andrews is my second choice at the moment after Durham. And I've found another Arabic applicant!! :biggrin: How come you're applying for Arabic? :smile: and what extra things have you done for it to show interest?
Original post by goodadvice12
how does NI work in terms of fees?

It's the same as the rest of the uk - I think some people can get reduced fees if they have an Irish passport but that doesn't apply to me
Original post by qeyoo
You got classified as Home/EU for having an Irish mother wow?! My mother is also Irish but I didn't bother arguing that I'm 'accompanying' her in England as I've lived here my entire life. But I've been classed as Home/EU for having lived in the EU anyway so doesn't really matter.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh I also grew up in Belgium for 4 years but didn't think that that would have affected my fee status (figured it was more of a nationality thing)
Hi there, have any US students heard anything for Classic?
Course : International Relations
Subjects : Economics and Social Sciences, History/geography, Maths, Philosophy, French, Sciences, English, Spanish, Latin (as an optional course), PE, European class (as an optional course)
Grades : average of 15,3/20 last trimester
Predicted grades : 18/20 for the French baccalaureate
Supre-curriculars : volunteering in Lourdes with disabled persons for 2 weeks, spent 2 months in Australia (without my family) and taught French to a class of year-8, visits to a local retirement house, musical at the Isle of White, equestrian on a competitive level for over 10 years
Other unis considering : Edinburgh, Warwick, KCL, Exeter (offer : 14/20 at the french baccalaureate)
Reply 493
Original post by Sarahorr1_
Oh I also grew up in Belgium for 4 years but didn't think that that would have affected my fee status (figured it was more of a nationality thing)

I did a lot of digging when I received the fee status questionnaire (as I was so surprised I'd received one) and that's when I found out I was eligible through having lived in the EU. You can be eligible through having an EU parent if you can successfully argue that you are 'accompanying' them in the UK. (Think I might have said that already somewhere whoops)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gtt2016
Course Applying: Philosohpy and French
AS/A2 subjects: French, Philosophy and Ethics, Economics, (Maths AS)
GCSE grades: 6A*, 2A, 3B
AS predicted: AAAB
AS grades: (when the time comes!)
Supra-curriculars: Wider reading, 6 week programme at Oxford, part of my school's Model United Nations team, tutoring a girl in 3rd year in French
Other unis considering/applying to: UCL, KCL, Exeter, Bristol, Leeds, York, Southampton

Go to oxford
Reply 495
It's the same as the rest of the uk - I think some people can get reduced fees if they have an Irish passport but that doesn't apply to me

That used to be the case I believe but they changed the rules so that's no longer true

Posted from TSR Mobile
What was everyone's process for the identifying their fees status?
I know they've given out some already but the vast majority of offers is apparently after the deadline.
How long after deadline do you think they'll let UK citizens know.
Does anyone know of an official Facebook group chat or any other sort of group chat for accepted students?
Original post by OturuDansay
I know they've given out some already but the vast majority of offers is apparently after the deadline.
How long after deadline do you think they'll let UK citizens know.

It will depend on the subject and if you've applied for joint honours or not. If you search for your subject(s) in the Applicants 2016 thread, you'll probably find posts (and dates) of people getting offers last year (of course, there's no guarantee that it will be the same this time).

It can take a while - my offer came at the end of February, a friend of mine got their's mid-March, but it can be later than that.

All the best! :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending