The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rayquaza17

I don't really like big threads like this. I think a new thread for each question is better because it can be very hard to keep up with posts if lots of people are posting questions at once. If we want a thread to encourage GCSE users to post then fair enough, but I think they should be encouraged to post questions in individual threads.

BTW we now have 5 threads stickied in the main maths forum, and this pushes the posting guide down to the bottom. Is there a way to make it the top sticky?

If you look in the thread I've made it clear that people should still post their questions in separate threads if they don't get an answer :smile: this thread is more to provide a sense of community than to answer all of the questions.

They appear in chronological order, @Fox Corner is there anything that can be done about this? We're also going to be posting an announcement that will appear above all of the threads telling people not to post full solutions, and clicking it will link people to the guidelines
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Mr M
This isn't true though. Mathematics is the most popular A level subject in the UK and the number of candidates is at an all-time high.

But failure and drop-outs at A level to uni is very high for Maths & IT.
Surely the thread 'A Summer of maths (ASOM) 2016' shouldn't be a sticky anymore? It hasn't had a post since September plus it's not summer 2016 anymore :smile:
Original post by notnek
Surely the thread 'A Summer of maths (ASOM) 2016' shouldn't be a sticky anymore? It hasn't had a post since September plus it's not summer 2016 anymore :smile:
I agree.
Will there be a year 12/AS Maths thread? I would frequent the thread, since I'm a bit thick when it comes to certain problems :colondollar:.
Original post by notnek

Consider it done :smile:
Original post by Student1914
Will there be a year 12/AS Maths thread? I would frequent the thread, since I'm a bit thick when it comes to certain problems :colondollar:.

If you want one, feel free to make one - it's your forum, you don't have to ask for permission! :h:
Original post by Student1914

Original post by Gingerbread101

If you want one, feel free to make one - it's your forum, you don't have to ask for permission! :h:

Actually, there already is one! :smile:

It's actually the same as the Year 13 one which is stickied on this forum, however no Y12's have posted anything much on it at the start of the academic year so it got buried a bit, but it exists nonetheless :smile:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3470381
Would everyone like to keep the Proof is Trivial thread stickied? It hasn't been posted in for a while and now we have year group threads, I feel like a lot of the discussion that would have happened in there is now happening in them instead

Original post by RDKGames
Actually, there already is one! :smile:

It's actually the same as the Year 13 one which is stickied on this forum, however no Y12's have posted anything much on it at the start of the academic year so it got buried a bit, but it exists nonetheless :smile:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3470381

Stickied as to keep with the trend of the others :smile:
Original post by Gingerbread101
Would everyone like to keep the Proof is Trivial thread stickied? It hasn't been posted in for a while and now we have year group threads, I feel like a lot of the discussion that would have happened in there is now happening in them instead.
The Proof is Trivial thread is quite different from those other threads. The idea of threads like this (and there have been many) is to post "interesting/challenging/difficult" problems - exactly what you don't want going into the year group threads.

Unfortunately, It seems to always happen that whenever there's a "interesting problems" thread, there's an escalation war; obviously the more able posters tend to reply more often, and then they are the only ones posting (and answering) problems, so the problems get harder. At this point half of the "more able" posters are now "less able" when you look at who is posting, and they start dropping out. Lather, rinse, repeat, and you get a thread dominated by 3 BMO candidates and 2 Trinity undergrads. (The last is made up - no offense to anyone who fits the description!).

Edit: it should probably be made clear to people that the judgement of "interesting" shoud be geared to the audience, not the person posing the problem. [To be far cruder: these threads should not be being used to display the size of your mathematical genitalia...]

I'm not a huge fan of such threads, but I think people should be free to make them if they want. The problem is whether to make them sticky - for the forum as a whole, I don't think it's useful. But I'm not sure the threads would survive without being stickied.

Stickied as to keep with the trend of the others :smile:
Just have to say that personally, I hate the idea of half the front page ending up being stickied threads.
(edited 7 years ago)
I agree with DFranklin about the Year 12 thread sticky since it hasn't been looked at since September. If the thread became popular again then it may deserve sticky status.

And I would be pro removing the 'The Proof is Trivial' as a sticky. I wouldn't expect any members to start posting in that thread who haven't posted in there before, which is one of the reasons to have a sticky. If people want to post in it then it would still exist for that purpose if it wasn't a sticky anymore.

That would leave 3 stickies which seems fine to me. If the GCSE thread doesn't become popular before this years exams then it should also probably be removed from the sticky list in my opinion.
Original post by DFranklin
The Proof is Trivial thread is quite different from those other threads. The idea of threads like this (and there have been many) is to post "interesting/challenging/difficult" problems - exactly what you don't want going into the year group threads.

Unfortunately, It seems to always happen that whenever there's a "interesting problems" thread, there's an escalation war; obviously the more able posters tend to reply more often, and then they are the only ones posting (and answering) problems, so the problems get harder. At this point half of the "more able" posters are now "less able" when you look at who is posting, and they start dropping out. Lather, rinse, repeat, and you get a thread dominated by 3 BMO candidates and 2 Trinity undergrads. (The last is made up - no offense to anyone who fits the description!).

Edit: it should probably be made clear to people that the judgement of "interesting" shoud be geared to the audience, not the person posing the problem. [To be far cruder: these threads should not be being used to display the size of your mathematical genitalia...]

I'm not a huge fan of such threads, but I think people should be free to make them if they want. The problem is whether to make them sticky - for the forum as a whole, I don't think it's useful. But I'm not sure the threads would survive without being stickied.

Just have to say that personally, I hate the idea of half the front page ending up being stickied threads.

With the year group threads I think they're the perfect type of thread to be stickied, or you get the situation that happened a few posts ago where they get lost in the abyss. If an excessive number of threads start to be stickied then we'll reconsider, but compared to forums like GCSE and A Levels it's pretty average
Original post by DFranklin

PRSOM and well said.

I did start working on an index to the megathreads, so they wouldn't be lost and wouldn't need to remain stickified - just the one index. But I got so disenchanted with what was going on with the maths forum at the time, I lost all enthusiasm for the project, and for the forum.

Your "cruder" comment sums up one of the issues that put me off this forum at the time.
Original post by ghostwalker
PRSOM and well said.

I did start working on an index to the megathreads, so they wouldn't be lost and wouldn't need to remain stickified - just the one index. But I got so disenchanted with what was going on with the maths forum at the time, I lost all enthusiasm for the project, and for the forum.

Your "cruder" comment sums up one of the issues that put me off this forum at the time.

Quick cheat to find the threads with the most replies - use "forum tools" > "filter threads" tick box and change the drop downs

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=38&s=&sort=replycount&prefixid=&pp=80&daysprune=-1&order=desc

Edit: bit odd that a redirect to "Moved: Helenia's big thread of contraception questions." is 2nd one down though :biggrin:
Original post by PQ
Quick cheat to find the threads with the most replies - use "forum tools" > "filter threads" tick box and change the drop downs

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=38&s=&sort=replycount&prefixid=&pp=80&daysprune=-1&order=desc

That's useful, thanks.

I'm wondering how 'Helenia's big thread of contraception questions' started in the maths forum :biggrin:
I did start working on an index to the megathreads, Brave man. (PRSOM). It would be great to have an index though.

so they wouldn't be lost and wouldn't need to remain stickified - just the one index. But I got so disenchanted with what was going on with the maths forum at the time, I lost all enthusiasm for the project, and for the forum.
I used to work quite hard at keeping certain 'excesses' in check, but it was time consuming.

It brings me again to my earlier comment that many people don't realise how much work it is to moderate this forum well.
PRSOM and well said.

This would be a good project for one of our Maths ST or CAs to try to get running :h: @Indeterminate @rayquaza17 @surina16 @NiamhM1801 let me know if any of you are up to it :tongue:
(and for the record - never ever feel bad about 4-5 stickies https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=71 :frown: - excessive but necessary to keep any sort of order in that forum :nope: )
Original post by PQ
Speaking from a universities/UCAS point of view:

There are a LOT of people who struggle/get rejected because they don't have the key C grade at maths GCSE (having repeatedly sat and got D grades). With the possibility of more universities asking for a 5 grade where previously a C was acceptable this is likely to get worse (the C grade has been split between a 4 (low C) and a 5 (high C)).

Having a GCSE maths resit study group or similar for these users to work together (and get help) on how to get that critical increase would be really useful and might help to broaden the appeal of the forum beyond the A/A* crowd (who should be able to help these students a lot).

I agree - these posters are being 'put off' by some posters that like to show off or use inappropriate methods.

Able mathematicians aren't always aware of the difficulties that others face can can, albeit unintentionlly, come over as unhelpful. Sometimes it's better if a teacher responds as they are more familiar with these students' needs.
Original post by Muttley79
I agree - these posters are being 'put off' by some posters that like to show off or use inappropriate methods.

Able mathematicians aren't always aware of the difficulties that others face can can, albeit unintentionlly, come over as unhelpful. Sometimes it's better if a teacher responds as they are more familiar with these students' needs.

Yes being able to explain a concept we is a skill that one may not have even if they are an expert in the subject. It can take a lot of practice to develop this skill.

But you don't need to be a professional teacher to have this skill. There are plenty of excellent non-teacher helpers in this forum.
Original post by PQ
(and for the record - never ever feel bad about 4-5 stickies https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=71 :frown: - excessive but necessary to keep any sort of order in that forum :nope: )

I see "Important - Please read" has sunk to twelfth place on that forum.
Perhaps a rating of "Extra sticky" would put it back at the top.

Feel bad? No, I don't feel feel bad when the forum is cluttered with stickies, just irritated.

Latest