The Student Room Group

Economics, Maths, Further Maths A Levels for Economics Degree?

I'm in year 12 and am currently studying Economics, Maths, Further Maths and Physics. I really want to drop physics as I do not enjoy it, plus it is not relevant to my degree/career path (economicsy, financey etc)

I don't know what to do because many top unis see maths and further maths as one A Level (e.g. LSE)

Which universities see further maths as a fourth subject only and which wouldn't mind Economics, Maths and Further Maths for an Economics Degree?

My dream/considering Unis are UCL, Cambridge, Warwick, Queen Mary UoL, King's College London, Cardiff etc.

Also what would you recommend I do?

Thank you :-)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by IAspireToSucceed
I'm in year 12 and am currently studying Economics, Maths, Further Maths and Physics. I really want to drop physics as I do not enjoy it, plus it is not relevant to my degree/career path (economicsy, financey etc)

I don't know what to do because many top unis see maths and further maths as one A Level (e.g. LSE)

Which universities see further maths as a fourth subject only and which wouldn't mind Economics, Maths and Further Maths for an Economics Degree?

My dream/considering Unis are UCL, Cambridge, Warwick, Queen Mary UoL, King's College London, Cardiff etc.

http://www.bath.ac.uk/study/ug/prospectus/subject/economics/entry-requirements/

Would recommend Bath, especially for the placement year which is invaluable. And they desire FM.. I think as a subject on it should own rather than the way LSE does it.
Hi!
I'm in year 13 and study Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Business, and have applied to Economics at LSE, UCL, Warwick, Cambridge and Essex, so since I have been through what you're asking about I understand your current situation.

LSE rejected me because they said my subject choice is "too narrow" for Economics at their university, so in your case I believe if you'd want to apply there I would keep Physics through your second year. I understand you might think that it is not related to your degree/career but universities understand how challenging Physics is at A-level and so are more lenient to give candidates an offer if they perform well in it.

On the other hand, I've had offers from UCL and Essex so far and am still waiting for Warwick and Cambridge.
So honestly I think it depends on the university and what preferences it has for your subject choice. It's always great to do plenty of research on their websites about preferred and less preferred subject combinations for the course(s) you ultimately decide to apply for.

Hope this helps and good luck! :smile:

Have you consider a mathematics and economics degree? This would be equally as good to get into banking/ finance.
@Princepieman would be able to back me up on this
Original post by fleky6910
Have you consider a mathematics and economics degree? This would be equally as good to get into banking/ finance.
@Princepieman would be able to back me up on this

A music degree would be equally as good for banking.
Original post by Ze Witcher
A music degree would be equally as good for banking.

Not sure I'd go that far but ok....
Original post by Emma73737
Hi!
I'm in year 13 and study Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Business, and have applied to Economics at LSE, UCL, Warwick, Cambridge and Essex, so since I have been through what you're asking about I understand your current situation.

LSE rejected me because they said my subject choice is "too narrow" for Economics at their university, so in your case I believe if you'd want to apply there I would keep Physics through your second year. I understand you might think that it is not related to your degree/career but universities understand how challenging Physics is at A-level and so are more lenient to give candidates an offer if they perform well in it.

On the other hand, I've had offers from UCL and Essex so far and am still waiting for Warwick and Cambridge.
So honestly I think it depends on the university and what preferences it has for your subject choice. It's always great to do plenty of research on their websites about preferred and less preferred subject combinations for the course(s) you ultimately decide to apply for.

Hi do you think maths, economics, chemistry and an EPQ is a good combination for econ at a top uni? (Like LSE, Cambridge...):smile:
Hi!

Lol I think I'd die if I did physics for A level!:tongue:
Original post by sunshine774
Hi do you think maths, economics, chemistry and an EPQ is a good combination for econ at a top uni? (Like LSE, Cambridge...):smile:

Universities love sciences and maths so yes! I did an EPQ as well, so they have seemed to like that too. I suppose it shows independent study and is good practice for dissertations or projects that you'd have to do at uni :smile: What course do you want to study?
Lol I think I'd die if I did physics for A level!:tongue:

Lol, well from what I've heard from friends they have said it is more difficult in the first year, but then gets more interesting and slightly easier in some areas in the second year. In the end it depends on your preferences and willingness to study and work hard for a subject :smile:
Original post by fleky6910
Not sure I'd go that far but ok....

I'm not joking...
Universities love sciences and maths so yes! I did an EPQ as well, so they have seemed to like that too. I suppose it shows independent study and is good practice for dissertations or projects that you'd have to do at uni :smile: What course do you want to study?

Economics!:smile:
Economics!:smile:

Ah, well I think the subject choice you mentioned earlier for Economics would be highly preferable for top universities 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ah, well I think the subject choice you mentioned earlier for Economics would be highly preferable for top universities 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you!x:h:
Hi!

If you don't mind me asking, what are you predicted and also what did you get at GCSE?
Also please let me know if you got in :smile: xx

Swap EPQ for further maths (or, even better, do both)
Original post by Mike_123
Swap EPQ for further maths (or, even better, do both)

I don't think I can cope with that tbh!:redface: What if I get A*A*A*A*?:smile:
If you don't mind me asking, what are you predicted and also what did you get at GCSE?
Also please let me know if you got in :smile: xx

Hi! I'm predicted A*AAA from what I remember my tutor telling me. At GCSE I got 6A*s, 5As.
Last year at AS I got AA for Maths and Further Maths with an average of 86 UMS.
I haven't actually heard back with their final decisions yet, but I will let you know as soon as I hear back :smile: xx

Update: After an excessively long wait I have been rejected by Selwyn College :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Cambridge don't mind 3 A Levels
Hi! I'm predicted A*AAA from what I remember my tutor telling me. At GCSE I got 6A*s, 5As.
Last year at AS I got AA for Maths and Further Maths with an average of 86 UMS.
I haven't actually heard back with their final decisions yet, but I will let you know as soon as I hear back :smile: xx

Update: After an excessively long wait I have been rejected by Selwyn College :smile:

At GCSE I got 11 As and a C(in P.E.) at a top girls grammar school, will this hinder my chances of getting into one of the unis I mentioned? -Esp since I don't have ASs anymore, apart from my Maths and Further Maths

Latest