The Student Room Group

Charging a capacitor

I dont quite understand capacitors so apologies for the stupid questions.

Can someone first of all explain what the inside of a capacitor looks like/ what goes on inside?

When charging a capacitor i understand the electrons flow from the negative terminal of the battery and builds up on one plate. The bit I don't get is why does it repel electrons on the other plate. Why do we get this repulsion?

Does a capacitor just have loads of electrons inside it? I mean I don't quite why it would repel if one side of the capacitor is positive and the other is negative.

Thanks
Original post by Super199
I dont quite understand capacitors so apologies for the stupid questions.

Can someone first of all explain what the inside of a capacitor looks like/ what goes on inside?

I have not opened a capacitor before, so cannot really tell you exactly what is inside.

The basic structure should be similar - two metals covering an insulating material.
https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/capacitors

Original post by Super199

When charging a capacitor i understand the electrons flow from the negative terminal of the battery and builds up on one plate. The bit I don't get is why does it repel electrons on the other plate. Why do we get this repulsion?

Does a capacitor just have loads of electrons inside it? I mean I don't quite why it would repel if one side of the capacitor is positive and the other is negative.

Thanks

You may want to post what the textbook has written. It could be a misinterpretation.

I suspect the text is saying when the plate is connected to the negative terminal, the electrons from the negative terminal flow to the plate. Initially, the flow of electrons to the plate is fast but as more electrons are deposited onto the plate, the repulsion between the electrons on the plate and the incoming electrons slowing down the charging process.

Quick Reply

Latest