The Student Room Group

Thinking about dropping out for a second time

I'm a 1st year Film student, who's thinking about dropping out for the second time (I originally studied Music Technology at Bath Spa but didn't enjoy the course and was commuting to the university everyday).

I've just gotten back from the Christmas break and I was feeling unsure about whether I wanted to continue my studies but I convinced myself it would be worth it. Since getting back, I have had one seminar, which included a screening of every individual group's (consisting of 4 people) fiction short film. This seminar immediately put me back into the head space of leaving. Now let me make one thing clear, the degree itself is not why I'm here. My main motivations for returning to university were the opportunities to learn more about the craft and more importantly, to meet people who are like minded and share the same passion. So far, neither of these have occurred. The majority of the people on my course and are shockingly competitive and self-assured, they have no interest in collaborating or sharing ideas or even speaking to those that aren't already in their little cliques. They shun people's tastes and criticise student's work but won't accept criticism from others. I find this to be most disappointing. I am also struggling financially to stay here, I've been working most of the time and don't even have a social life. Do you guys have any advice? Is it worth seeing if in time it gets better? I'm so disillusioned by the whole thing .
Original post by feitricia
I'm a 1st year Film student, who's thinking about dropping out for the second time (I originally studied Music Technology at Bath Spa but didn't enjoy the course and was commuting to the university everyday).

I've just gotten back from the Christmas break and I was feeling unsure about whether I wanted to continue my studies but I convinced myself it would be worth it. Since getting back, I have had one seminar, which included a screening of every individual group's (consisting of 4 people) fiction short film. This seminar immediately put me back into the head space of leaving. Now let me make one thing clear, the degree itself is not why I'm here. My main motivations for returning to university were the opportunities to learn more about the craft and more importantly, to meet people who are like minded and share the same passion. So far, neither of these have occurred. The majority of the people on my course and are shockingly competitive and self-assured, they have no interest in collaborating or sharing ideas or even speaking to those that aren't already in their little cliques. They shun people's tastes and criticise student's work but won't accept criticism from others. I find this to be most disappointing. I am also struggling financially to stay here, I've been working most of the time and don't even have a social life. Do you guys have any advice? Is it worth seeing if in time it gets better? I'm so disillusioned by the whole thing .

You've described your push factors but haven't really talked about what you'd like to do instead.

Would transferring to another course to continue in year 2 in September help? Would you rather try to get work or set yourself up as self employed? Would you want to try to find an apprenticeship in the industry?

Because you've already dropped out once if you drop out again that would mean that if you start another course from scratch your first year wouldn't be funded (you'd get maintenance loans but not a tuition fee loan so you'd need to pay for that out of your own pocket).

That means it's really important to work out what your escape TO plan is and to get the most out of this year.

Finance wise - have you approached your student services team to ask about hardship funding?
Course wise - have you spoken to any staff/student reps about your unhappiness with the course/atmosphere?
Personally - have you spoken to any of your university's support/counselling/careers/course staff about how you feel and wanting to leave? The should be able to help you work out a practical plan.

It does sound like you've got a perfect storm of factors making you unhappy - working out which of these can be resolved by making a change and whether that change will make you happier or not is key to finding your next steps.
Everything PQ said.

My quick impressions were.:

1. If you drop out then you are unlikely to get full funding again. Bear in mind the financials.
2. Look into the things making you unhappy. You need to take some counseling because it sounds like you have unrealistic expectations of what people are like or maybe you could get a transfer to a different uni.
3. When you say its not about the degree, then why woyld you incur £50,000 worth of debt when you could get the experience you want some other way?
4. Go and get some counseling and see if there are any bursaires if your financials are so poor.
5. If it were me, then Id aim to finish the first year well and look at taking a break or transfer. If you drop out now then it will be hard to go back.
6. Go and see your GP about depression or the counselor as to whetehr you might be being over sensitive as a means to understanding and dealing with your unhappiness.

It might be Uni isnt for you, but you should maxmimise your options. You need to carefully research and assess your situation more than ever becayse its failure to do this properly that has led you here. If you cant do it alone then get help.

Quick Reply