The Student Room Group

Repeating a year

I am studying for a L5 Foundation Degree and wish to go on to a BA. Unfortunately my college doesn't support a third year at present. The university I am interested in only accepts transfers onto L5, meaning I will have to repeat L5, albeit with new modules. Providing I meet the criteria and as this is the only way to complete my degree, would I be eligible for funding for another two years for L5 & L6?
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi

Previous study at the higher education level may be considered when assessing student's entitlement to finance. This will depend on whether they studied full-time or part-time and if they received a qualification. If a student does not have entitlement for a years study due to their previous study, they will still be eligible to receive a means tested Maintenance Loan and supplementary grants. No Tuition Fee Loan will be available for these years.

The rule regarding previous study states that students are entitled to the ordinary duration of their new course plus 1 extra year (OD +1), minus any previous study (PS) if it can be included. Please see calculation shown below:
(OD+1) - PS = Entitlement. Remaining years of entitlement will be awarded in the final years of the course. This means if the remaining entitlement for a 3 year course is 2 years, then the student would receive full funding in years 2 and 3. In year 1, in this case, they would received a MT Maintenance Loan and Supplementary Grants only.Hope this helps.Thanks
Reply 2
Thanks for your reply Morven SFE: I'm still a bit hazy. I completed Yr 1 - L4 Cert HE with merit and I'm now halfway through Yr 2 - L5 FD with predicted merit or distinction. So will this mean I would only be entitled to a maintenance loan and tuition fee loan for one year? Many thanks.
Original post by WaynosOx
Thanks for your reply Morven SFE: I'm still a bit hazy. I completed Yr 1 - L4 Cert HE with merit and I'm now halfway through Yr 2 - L5 FD with predicted merit or distinction. So will this mean I would only be entitled to a maintenance loan and tuition fee loan for one year? Many thanks.

Hi,

Just to clarify, you will be doing year 2 and 3 from a 3 year BA course with 2 years previous study?

Is the information above is correct the you can still receive funding for the final 2 years of your course with tuition fee and maintenance loan.

Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending