The Student Room Group

Media harassment of Scottish alt-right vlogger, Millennial Woes

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/meet-vile-vlogger-whose-racist-9586908

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/vile-vlogger-colin-robertson-could-9593758

So this is the state of free speech in Britain now. Express any opinions that go against the mainstream liberal narrative and the ever "tollerant", far left-bullies will dox you and your family, send the tabloid media to harass you in your own home and attempt to have you thrown in jail.

I don't care if you agree or disagree with Millennial Woes and his political views, you can't deny that this is disgraceful journalism. There is absolutely nothing of substance in those articles, not a single attempt at making an intelligent counter argument, just a slew of buzzwords and ad hominem attacks..

I have actually been subscribed to Millennial Woes' channel for several years now, I don't agree with all of his views, but his videos are always interesting, well constructed and thought provoking. He is not some boneheaded, knuckle scraper like the Daily Record attempt to portray him, and nowhere in any of his content does he incite racial hatred or violence. He has very explicitly stated on numerous occassions that he does not advocate violence or blind hatred against any ethnic groups. He has done nothing unlawful and does not deserve this kind of treatment.

Here is his channel for those who prefer to make up their own minds, and not have it made up for them by hateful rags like the Daily Record.

https://www.youtube.com/user/MillennialWoes/featured
Original post by Wōden
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/meet-vile-vlogger-whose-racist-9586908

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/vile-vlogger-colin-robertson-could-9593758

So this is the state of free speech in Britain now. Express any opinions that go against the mainstream liberal narrative and the ever "tollerant", far left-bullies will dox you and your family, send the tabloid media to harass you in your own home and attempt to have you thrown in jail.

I don't care if you agree or disagree with Millennial Woes and his political views, you can't deny that this is disgraceful journalism. There is absolutely nothing of substance in those articles, not a single attempt at making an intelligent counter argument, just a slew of buzzwords and ad hominem attacks..

I have actually been subscribed to Millennial Woes' channel for several years now, I don't agree with all of his views, but his videos are always interesting, well constructed and thought provoking. He is not some boneheaded, knuckle scraper like the Daily Record attempt to portray him, and nowhere in any of his content does he incite racial hatred or violence. He has very explicitly stated on numerous occassions that he does not advocate violence or blind hatred against any ethnic groups. He has done nothing unlawful and does not deserve this kind of treatment.

Here is his channel for those who prefer to make up their own minds, and not have it made up for them by hateful rags like the Daily Record.

https://www.youtube.com/user/MillennialWoes/featured

I haven't heard of this man myself, and I read most of the left leaning national newspapers and follow many left leaning thinkers/journalists on twitter. Would hardly call two articles "media harassment"

You talk about free speech but the article is only enacting its own rights of free speech, it goes both ways you know. And this guy seems more like a literal nazi than simply 'alt-right' so the article seems fair to me.

Having spoken at a white nationalist rally: 'We told previously how Robertson delivered a speech at a white *nationalist conference in *Washington DC in November.' and had nazi salutes in support of him: 'He found notoriety with his *Millennial Woes blog and gave a speech at a US rally where far-right *extremists shouted, “Hail Trump” and made Nazi salutes.'

This isn't just him exercising his right to free speech, this is hate speech: He said: ' “I just didn’t want loads of black people in my country. It came down to a racial thing, a racial loyalty. I didn’t want black people, I didn’t want Indians, I didn’t want Chinese, I didn’t want Arabs, I wanted my country for my people. It took me quite a few years to realise the scope of my objection to what I was seeing in the world.” '

As well as your claim that he does not incite violence or blind hatred: "The Record also unearthed a recording in which vile Colin Robertson talks of a war between whites and minority groups living in Europe.'

Considering the newspaper is left leaning and press regulation laws in the UK allow newspapers to say what they want in the borders of free speech, then this is a wholly just article considering the things this man has said. People in the UK DO have a right to free speech, except in the terms of: incitement to racial hatred, as well as many others. The UK is quite strict on defamation laws (check it out here)

Maybe this guy has deleted more extreme videos that you haven't seen or you are choosing to ignore certain things he says, but to me it seems he is at the very extreme of alt-right, bordering on neo-nazi. If you want 'thought provoking' alt-right speakers maybe look somewhere else.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by epage
This isn't just him exercising his right to free speech, this is hate speech: He said: ' “I just didn’t want loads of black people in my country. It came down to a racial thing, a racial loyalty. I didn’t want black people, I didn’t want Indians, I didn’t want Chinese, I didn’t want Arabs, I wanted my country for my people. It took me quite a few years to realise the scope of my objection to what I was seeing in the world.” '

You may well find such views reprehensible, I don't find them particularly tasteful, even as a nationalist myself. That doesn't neccessarily make them illegal.

As well as your claim that he does not incite violence or blind hatred: "The Record also unearthed a recording in which vile Colin Robertson talks of a war between whites and minority groups living in Europe.'

I saw that video in question, it was a debate between him and a left wing commentator and he was simply stating his belief that the current policies of multiculturalism and mass migration in the West *might* eventually lead to a race war. He was talking about a hypothetical scenario, he was not advocating or calling for a race war. This is exactly the kind of intellectually dishonest journalism I am talking about.

I also happen to think that multculturalism will lead to serious conflict in the future. That doesn't mean I want conflict to happen, that is the last thing I want.

Maybe this guy has deleted more extreme videos that you haven't seen or you are choosing to ignore certain things he says, but to me it seems he is at the very extreme of alt-right, bordering on neo-nazi. If you want 'thought provoking' alt-right speakers maybe look somewhere else.

I've followed his work pretty closely, I am not aware of any videos he has deleted. I very much doubt there are any deleted videos of him saying anything like "We should go out and kill blacks and Muslims!!!", it just doesn't fit his character at all. I'm not denying his views are extreme, and like I said, I don't agree with everything he believes in, but I still value many of his insights. I follow a wide variety of vloggers with views that would probably be considered "extreme" by mainstream society, anarchists, free market libertarians, survivalists, radical environmentalists, nationalists of various races and ethnicities, even a few communists.
Original post by Wōden
You may well find such views reprehensible, I don't find them particularly tasteful, even as a nationalist myself. That doesn't neccessarily make them illegal.

I saw that video in question, it was a debate between him and a left wing commentator and he was simply stating his belief that the current policies of multiculturalism and mass migration in the West *might* eventually lead to a race war. He was talking about a hypothetical scenario, he was not advocating or calling for a race war. This is exactly the kind of intellectually dishonest journalism I am talking about.

I also happen to think that multculturalism will lead to serious conflict in the future. That doesn't mean I want conflict to happen, that is the last thing I want.

I've followed his work pretty closely, I am not aware of any videos he has deleted. I very much doubt there are any deleted videos of him saying anything like "We should go out and kill blacks and Muslims!!!", it just doesn't fit his character at all. I'm not denying his views are extreme, and like I said, I don't agree with everything he believes in, but I still value many of his insights. I follow a wide variety of vloggers with views that would probably be considered "extreme" by mainstream society, anarchists, free market libertarians, survivalists, radical environmentalists, nationalists of various races and ethnicities, even a few communists.

I didn't claim to know him at all so maybe I made assumptions from the articles. My main point was that it was not 'media harassment' and also that the newspaper had a right to their views of him. His views might not necessarily be illegal, as I recall the police said in the article that they weren't investigating him, and that anti-racism organisation said that if he had used hate speech in his videos, then that should be investigated, not necessarily that he had used hate speech. Also its not like the paper is a broadsheet. I don't know much about the paper, but obviously tabloids do not always use the best methods of research and reporting in their journalism.

Also I reject your idea in the original post that there is 'a mainstream liberal narrative'. Maybe in London, on twitter/online, and among celebrities or whatever, but although current society may be more tolerant of different races, sexualities, etc, liberalism is not necessarily mainstream. I mean, we have had a conservative government for nearly 7 years, Donald Trump just won over in america (which is definitely less liberal than the UK), and we voted for brexit (maybe not necessarily a right wing thing, but definitely had a larger vote share in the conservatives than labour, and well, UKIP as well are not liberal).
Reply 4
Original post by Wōden
There is absolutely nothing of substance in those articles, not a single attempt at making an intelligent counter argument, just a slew of buzzwords and ad hominem attacks..

That more or less describes any article in the Daily Record. It's a stablemate of the Daily Mirror but in many ways worse.

I mean, he's probably a dick - I've never seen any of his stuff, but they're usually of a type - but quite what a newspaper hopes to achieve by publishing articles like that, I really don't know.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Boohoo, a newspaper expressing its own opinion and using its own powers of free speech, how absolutely awful.
I support him wholeheartedly. They are genuine, valid views - I can see why all you leftie liberals find them "extreme" but they are much more common than you think they are.
Reply 7
Original post by Inexorably
Boohoo, a newspaper expressing its own opinion and using its own powers of free speech, how absolutely awful.

It's not their opinion of him that bothers me, not that "oooh, look at this vile, nasty, racist!! We don't like what he's saying, booooo!!!" is much of an opinion, more a pavlovian, knee-jerk reaction than anything. What bothers me is their blatant attempt at intimidating somebody into silence, by publishing his personal details. It is totally unethical and irresponsible, they have potentially put this man and his family in serious danger.
No, it isnt disgraceful journalism. If that unemployed loser can express hatred and racism, they can also shut him right down.

I dont understand why the right are so obsessed with normalising and condoning white supremacy, the inherent belief that white people are superior.
Original post by Wōden
It's not their opinion of him that bothers me, not that "oooh, look at this vile, nasty, racist!! We don't like what he's saying, booooo!!!" is much of an opinion, more a pavlovian, knee-jerk reaction than anything. What bothers me is their blatant attempt at intimidating somebody into silence, by publishing his personal details. It is totally unethical and irresponsible, they have potentially put this man and his family in serious danger.

This.

Also Alan McEwen is filth.
Reply 10
Original post by thatswrong.
No, it isnt disgraceful journalism. If that unemployed loser can express hatred and racism, they can also shut him right down.

Then you will only ever succeed in making martyrs out of such people. And I hope you realise that this whole debacle will ultimately just give his Youtube videos more publicity and many new followers.

Well done, lefties. You just never, ever learn, do you?
Original post by Wōden
Then you will only ever succeed in making martyrs out of such people. And I hope you realise that this whole debacle will ultimately just give his Youtube videos more publicity and many new followers.

Well done, lefties. You just never, ever learn, do you?

Martyrs suggest he will be praised for something. I will still speak ill of him when he's buried in the ground.

I know it will give him publicity, I wouldnt have bothered giving him any attention in the first place but the deed is done. But if people do adopt his views then they are weak minded racists and brexit and trump have shown that there are plenty of them about.
Poor sod didn't stand a chance. Scotland is dominated by globalist freemasons.
Martyrs suggest he will be praised for something. I will still speak ill of him when he's buried in the ground.

I know it will give him publicity, I wouldnt have bothered giving him any attention in the first place but the deed is done. But if people do adopt his views then they are weak minded racists and brexit and trump have shown that there are plenty of them about.

I think among other issues he also had the audacity to question whether rampant state approved white female promiscuity was a good thing.
Reply 14

I dont understand why the right are so obsessed with normalising and condoning white supremacy, the inherent belief that white people are superior.

Who here is normalising white supremacy exactly? Defending free speech =/= Normalising White Supremacy, and the issue here is not the condemning of his views, but the revealing of his public information, his views, no matter how vile, does not justify an invasion of privacy like this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending