The Student Room Group

Degree- What subject?

Hi I'm currently doing my A levels. I'm studying History, Geography ,Biology and Chemistry.
I can't decide between history or Biology.
i have looked up both degrees and i find the biology one more interesting, i think
but history is my favourite subject and i find it much easier than Biology but when i look up the degree course it seems quite boring to me.
any advice would be great.
Reply 1
Biology is probably a lot better career wise as a BSc
Original post by Missrose555
Hi I'm currently doing my A levels. I'm studying History, Geography ,Biology and Chemistry.
i have looked up both degrees and i find the biology one more interesting, i think
but history is my favourite subject and i find it much easier than Biology but when i look up the degree course it seems quite boring to me.

Biology is more flexible imo becayse it gives you possible subject specific careers as well as most of the careers you cna access with a history degree. Go to open days. See what people do with the respective degrees.

A good history degree grade is better than an average biology one.
Find a syllabus you like.

Do all thos research and it should favour one or the other.
Reply 3
Original post by 999tigger
Biology is more flexible imo becayse it gives you possible subject specific careers as well as most of the careers you cna access with a history degree. Go to open days. See what people do with the respective degrees.

A good history degree grade is better than an average biology one.
Find a syllabus you like.

Do all thos research and it should favour one or the other.

Thank you. i will look into them more
Reply 4
Original post by JooW
Biology is probably a lot better career wise as a BSc

Thanks
Thank you. i will look into them more

Do a pros and cons list for both.

I will start you off.

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-advice/what-can-i-do-with-my-degree/biology

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-advice/what-can-i-do-with-my-degree/history

Dont forget your grade is important ans well as which uni you go to.
Biology imo offers more employment prospects, but only if you get a good degree.
the open days should give you a good idea.
I've applied to history as a degree and can't think of much more boring than biology. :tongue:

Recommend looking at course features and seeing which elements of ciurses you will like. Also important to realise biology isn't usually a degree, it's usually a specific area of biology such as micro biology or marine biology. :smile:

Also TSR will probs say a history degree is pointless but it's a very versatile subject that sets you up for most careers. :smile:

Good luck!
Reply 7
Original post by Shadow Hunters
I've applied to history as a degree and can't think of much more boring than biology. :tongue:

Recommend looking at course features and seeing which elements of ciurses you will like. Also important to realise biology isn't usually a degree, it's usually a specific area of biology such as micro biology or marine biology. :smile:

Also TSR will probs say a history degree is pointless but it's a very versatile subject that sets you up for most careers. :smile:

Good luck!

Ahh ok thank you, i really loved medieval history mainly the middle ages in England.
Thank you for the advice
Reply 8
Original post by 999tigger
Do a pros and cons list for both.

I will start you off.

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-advice/what-can-i-do-with-my-degree/biology

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-advice/what-can-i-do-with-my-degree/history

Dont forget your grade is important ans well as which uni you go to.
Biology imo offers more employment prospects, but only if you get a good degree.
the open days should give you a good idea.

Thank you, i will definitely do that and i have planned to go to a lot of open days so i can get a good idea of the two courses :smile:
Ahh ok thank you, i really loved medieval history mainly the middle ages in England.
Thank you for the advice

Same, medieval is my favourite too! Although I do like early modern such as Elizabeth I! :smile:
Original post by Shadow Hunters
Same, medieval is my favourite too! Although I do like early modern such as Elizabeth I! :smile:

oh yeah i really enjoy that too :smile:
Reply 12

if you want to enjoy yourself more, do History. If you don't want to starve on the streets, do Biology.
Reply 13
Original post by jape
if you want to enjoy yourself more, do History. If you don't want to starve on the streets, do Biology.

Doing a History degree will not make you starve yourself. In fact the employability for History degrees is in fact quite large than expected.
Reply 14
Original post by kkboyk
Doing a History degree will not make you starve yourself. In fact the employability for History degrees is in fact quite large than expected.

There is a saturation of history graduates, and studying history doesn't give you any transferable expertise that studying a more employable degree won't. The whole of western society is in dire need of STEM graduates, we have far too many liberal arts grads. You can get a job as a history graduate, but managing a Pret isn't the same as synthesizing a cure for the Common Cold. They certainly don't pay the same.

Quick Reply

Latest