The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thatswrong.
You cant say that UCL>Warwick when Warwick has been equal or even above in terms of numbers landing internships and jobs.

Yes, theoretically UCLs proximity to london makes it the better choice but then a Warwick student can still go to these events. There's no exclusive UCL events that are of significance either.

Im just focusing on your UCL vs Warwick comparison here, in general theres no point suggesting a london uni is better for opportunities because in a world of the internet and fast travel service this advantage is negligible.

Didn't seem like that in the statistics :/
Original post by GradeA*UnderA

On an unrelated note, what do you think about the University of York in terms of employability? I know it's a non-target, but is it one of the better ones?
Original post by AngryWalrus
On an unrelated note, what do you think about the University of York in terms of employability? I know it's a non-target, but is it one of the better ones?

Yes. Honestly, just make up for it by doing internships and other activities that make you seem fit for banking.
(edited 7 years ago)

lies, damned lies and statistics

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes. Honestly, just make up for it by doing internships and other activities that make you seem fit for banking.

Ah.. I suppose so. Just a bit disappointed about the whole thing. Hopefully it won't negatively affect things in the future.
Ah.. I suppose so. Just a bit disappointed about the whole thing. Hopefully it won't negatively affect things in the future.

I mean, you could do a post grad degree at one of the targets, that could make you more attractive.

disappointed?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I mean, you could do a post grad degree at one of the targets, that could make you more attractive.

Funnily enough, I've just been looking at some post grads! Good to have another option if I need it
Funnily enough, I've just been looking at some post grads! Good to have another option if I need it

Yeah, only an extra year of work too

expensive af tho

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman

Yeah, disappointed at my decision to study a BTEC, obviously my own fault and no one else's. Should have done some more research before I signed up...
A couple of others in my class seem to be having similar issues with BTECs. I mean, I wasn't aiming for Oxbridge or anything, but I naively thought they'd be more widely valued across semi-targets.

I'm quite interested, but perhaps I'm getting ahead of myself haha :smile: They're bloody expensive though! I wonder if they're worth the money

expensive af tho

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was just thinking the same thing... £21,880 for a MSc in Economics at Warwick :redface:
Yeah, disappointed at my decision to study a BTEC, obviously my own fault and no one else's. Should have done some more research before I signed up...
A couple of others in my class seem to be having similar issues with BTECs. I mean, I wasn't aiming for Oxbridge or anything, but I naively thought they'd be more widely valued across semi-targets.

The BTEC you chose to do isn't a poor qualification at all.. and frankly, I don't know why you'd think it is. You're in the same position as any A-level student who didn't do a maths A-level...

Even Oxford will consider a BTEC in IT alongside an A-level in Maths for CompSci.

Anyways, that's all irrelevant. You're in a pretty gucci situation going to one of the nation's best CS departments which so happens to send a couple people into banking every year. What's the point in fretting? Why not grab the opportunity and kickass?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm quite interested, but perhaps I'm getting ahead of myself haha :smile: They're bloody expensive though! I wonder if they're worth the money

I was just thinking the same thing... £21,880 for a MSc in Economics at Warwick :redface:

yeh, and don't really know why you're thinking about a masters when you haven't been through the application process yet..

Should be a last resort option in most cases.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I didn't think it was that expensive. You can do a PhD at Cambridge for less - is this standard, or are Warwick overpricing?
I didn't think it was that expensive. You can do a PhD at Cambridge for less - is this standard, or are Warwick overpricing?

Standard for any business/econ/finance masters at a top uni

Posted from TSR Mobile
The BTEC you chose to do isn't a poor qualification at all.. and frankly, I don't know why you'd think it is. You're in the same position as any A-level student who didn't do a maths A-level...

Even Oxford will consider a BTEC in IT alongside an A-level in Maths for CompSci.

Anyways, that's all irrelevant. You're in a pretty gucci situation going to one of the nation's best CS departments which so happens to send a couple people into banking every year. What's the point in fretting? Why not grab the opportunity and kickass?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wouldn't have minded doing an A-Level alongside the BTEC, just didn't think it was necessary... Maybe I'm just being a drama queen! lol Just a bit of a shock to see A-Level Maths requirement for so many courses. I don't think I would be able to apply for the CS course now that I've got an offer for Accounting, Business Finance and Management would I? :s-smilie:
I wouldn't have minded doing an A-Level alongside the BTEC, just didn't think it was necessary... Maybe I'm just being a drama queen! lol Just a bit of a shock to see A-Level Maths requirement for so many courses. I don't think I would be able to apply for the CS course now that I've got an offer for Accounting, Business Finance and Management would I? :s-smilie:

lol you see, you even got into a completely unrelated degree with the BTEC and you're stressing. :')

Posted from TSR Mobile
lol you see, you even got into a completely unrelated degree with the BTEC and you're stressing. :':wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

haha :P I suppose so. Well I guess I could do a lot worse, stressing is my hobby lol. Thanks a lot guys, I feel a lot better about going to York now :smile:
Considering a degree in Acturial Science and risk management at Queens Belfast, I understand queens is a non-target but it is one of the few unis that offer this course, if I had a change of heart and wanted to do ib instead of actuary would it be possible?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending