The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1740
Original post by Murray Edwards Admissions
We're sending emails to everyone tomorrow (including those taken from the Pool) and the letters will go out to everyone today and tomorrow.

There won't be phone calls this year but I'll be on here to answer any questions people have.

I have applied to Clare and from what I understand they only a send a letter not email. Will it arrive tomorrow or could I have to wait longer?
Original post by magails71
If you have been pooled, what are your chances of an offer? IE what rough percentage of those pooled are made an offer?

About a quarter.
Original post by jneill
Interesting fact for today: South Africans (and some others) say "Hold Thumbs!"

Is this expression a remnant of colonial times, or does it originate from the Zulus, or from a native tribe of South Africa?
Original post by Rolojo
I have applied to Clare and from what I understand they only a send a letter not email. Will it arrive tomorrow or could I have to wait longer?

You'll have to ask Royal Mail... :smile:

It should arrive tomorrow but sometimes letters take two days.
Tried reading to take my mind off tomorrow, it seems Cambridge (or words v similar) are haunting me...
Why must this character have been introduced now??
You_Doodle_2017-01-11T16_52_06Z.jpg
Murray Edwards Admissions
x

Why are decisions being released on Thursday this year rather than the Tuesday after the pool closed?
Original post by SteamboatMickey
Good luck for tomorrow everyone ❤️ Do we relocate to another thread after tomorrow (like 'offer holders' thread or something) or are we staying on here? I need to know where to post the outcome of my app next week or whenever it will be :lol:

It's been fabulous to get to know you all!

Until we meet again :h:

This thread will still be very much live tomorrow but will become less relevant in the coming days.

But please post decisions here:
The Official Cambridge 2017 Decisions Thread [no discussion]

And then (hopefully) join the
The Official Cambridge Offer Holders Thread 2017 Entry
Reply 1747
Original post by CutieTootsie
Woah, what's this about a pill?
Are you just being poetic or are you trying to tell us something.

The pill is called "gap year"
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by CutieTootsie
Has everyone here only applied Russel group universities?

Plymouth is potentially my insurance (depending on how tomorrow goes) and I didn't realise how low they were on the league table. Oh well, their medical school is BOMB. #silverlining

I applied to Bath (probably will be my insurance if and when I get my rejection tomorrow) but it's a great uni despite not being russell group
@Murray Edwards Admissions what's d-day like from your POV?
Original post by jneill
This thread will still be very much live tomorrow but will become less relevant in the coming days.

But please post decisions here:
The Official Cambridge 2017 Decisions Thread [no discussion]

And then (hopefully) join the
The Official Cambridge Offer Holders Thread 2017 Entry

:ta: (For everything)
A day before they release the decisions, UCAS sends me a "If things don't go according to plan..." email 😂😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mathemagicien
Is this expression a remnant of colonial times, or does it originate from the Zulus, or from a native tribe of South Africa?

They say the same in Holland (and other parts of Northern Europe) afaik - so it's an afrikaans thing.
Original post by Naeco
The pill is called "gap year"

It was a nice double meaning though, it caught me too :b
Original post by Rolojo

Royal Mail aims to deliver >93% of First Class by the next working day.

Of course, there's always the chance you are in the 7%...
Original post by alexmr55
I've got a place at University of Nottingham, so I'm using that as my insurance.

Thought nottingham was a Russell group uni 😂😂😂 nevermind lol

Original post by trythis
I applied to Lancaster; rest were Russell Group. Didn't choose them based on being RG, however.

Neither did I! Curiousity got the better of me when people kept asking if Plymouth was my 4th choice medical school... I kept thinking what are you going on about? Their medical school is bomb.

(And people assumed Imperial was my insurance. The uni's vibe is so whack. I've never been so uninmpressed. Even if you search on YouTube, excluding graduation ceremonies, NOTHING interesting comes up.)
Original post by jneill
They say the same in Holland (and other parts of Northern Europe) afaik - so it's an afrikaans thing.

In Dutch we do not "cross" our thumbs; "duimen" is used as a verb which means wishing you luck (praying for you/lighting a candle), so kind of thumbs up/cross fingers...
Original post by Forecast
Why are decisions being released on Thursday this year rather than the Tuesday after the pool closed?

Because it takes a long time to process everything. We have to wait for the files to come back from the Pool, which they didn't until Friday evening. We then have to enter the offers into our database and double check everything as well as then running up, signing and stuffing the envelopes. We also have to process and contact those taken for interview and prepare the files for the interviews.

It all takes time with a small team. For colleges that take heavily from the pool, it's a real challenge to meet the posting date.
Original post by BrugensisMum
In Dutch we do not "cross" our thumbs; "duimen" is used as a verb which means wishing you luck (praying for you/lighting a candle), so kind of thumbs up/cross fingers...

Interesting, but I thought it was "hold" thumbs rather than "cross" thumbs in Dutch?

Like in Sweden: http://www.nordstjernan.com/news/traditions/5824/
Original post by IcedArizona
I'm happy cause I haven't had trouble sleeping at least ^^

Trust me, 5 hours sleep in2 nights is no fun! I'm so convinced I won't sleep tonight that I've printed off 9 hours worth of exam papers from the Internet to add to the 3 hours of homework I need. To do tonight. So I have something to do. Besides stay awake and worry.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending