The Student Room Group

Computer Science

So I have an interview at a university for computer science and I don't do computer science at A-Level or AS. So I was wondering what type of questions I should be expecting and if anyone who hasn't done computer science at A-Level has gone through the same process. Help would be much appreciated.
Can I ask why you didn't do Computer Science at A-Level if you had aspirations to do it at Uni?
Reply 2
Original post by Prudator
Can I ask why you didn't do Computer Science at A-Level if you had aspirations to do it at Uni?

My school for one didn't offer it at all.
Did your school offer it OP? Also what uni?
I know a lot of uni's don't require any prior knowledge but it would be strange if you knew nothing. They will definitely ask about anything you claimed to know in your personal statement.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by srayogn
So I have an interview at a university for computer science and I don't do computer science at A-Level or AS. So I was wondering what type of questions I should be expecting and if anyone who hasn't done computer science at A-Level has gone through the same process. Help would be much appreciated.

For those who haven't done any programming or even Computing/Comp Sci at A-level will get common interview questions:
-Why Comp Sci?
-What exactly interests you about Comp Sci?
-Any experience in programming or any other areas of Comp Sci?
-What are you looking most forward to into coming to this uni and doing this course?
-Why this particular university?
-What do you expect to achieve?
-What particular career do you want to get into after degree?

And so on.

Original post by ChrisD0
My school for one didn't offer it at all. Did your school offer it OP? Also what uni? I know a lot of uni's don't require any prior knowledge but it would be strange if you knew nothing. They will definitely ask about anything you claimed to know in your personal statement. Posted from TSR Mobile

There are a lot of Comp Sci who started without knowing a single thing about computers, but still managed with the course (since they teach from scratch and does not require prior knowledge).
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Prudator

It's not necessary at all. In fact, a lot of universities prefer you to not take it at an A-level subject, as you may learn bad habits and it's generally more beneficial to take something like Maths, further maths and physics
Original post by pythonCOOLKID111
It's not necessary at all. In fact, a lot of universities prefer you to not take it at an A-level subject, as you may learn bad habits and it's generally more beneficial to take something like Maths, further maths and physics

I've never heard of this as computing has been part of every facilitating subject list for computer science for all the top universities in the country. Some even offer reduced requirements if you take the A level.
Original post by 0xFFFFail
I've never heard of this as computing has been part of every facilitating subject list for computer science for all the top universities in the country. Some even offer reduced requirements if you take the A level.

Please can you provide a list of the top universities that require ALevel computing?
Please can you provide a list of the top universities that require ALevel computing?

I never stated a single university requires you to take the subject, on the other hand where can I see a list of universities requesting me to not take the A level?
Reply 8
Most universities to do not state that computer science is compulsory and so provide a range of subjects with the grades expected to be achieved. Also the attendant day/interview's are at Newcastle, Sheffield and Leeds.
I never stated a single university requires you to take the subject, on the other hand where can I see a list of universities requesting me to not take the A level?

Hahaha you are making me laugh. You clearly know nothing about computer science
Hahaha you are making me laugh. You clearly know nothing about computer science

I'm assuming you're trolling and I really don't want to derail OP's thread but I literally asked for a list of universities that don't want me to have comp sci at A level, I can name a few that see it favourably, can you say the same?
Reply 11
No one 'Doesn't' want you to have it. It's just not compulsory.
I'm assuming you're trolling and I really don't want to derail OP's thread but I literally asked for a list of universities that don't want me to have comp sci at A level, I can name a few that see it favourably, can you say the same?

Please provide the list of top universities that recommend you to do Computer Science a level

That's not true.

If you shouldn't take Comp Sci A Level as you may learn bad habits, they might as well tell you not to take any subjects at A Level for the same reason.

Most unis want candidates to have an interest in the area they're applying for, even if their A Levels don't exactly match requirements. If you can show that you have substantial knowledge/experience in the area, you'll be chosen ahead of someone who doesn't.

Unis want candidates who are capable of getting high grades, it's good for their stats and their ranking.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 14

Rubbish. Universities have a preference for those who have taken the subject at A level given the new specification.

Abject nonsense to say that some universities don't like it. Seeing you've made the claim, can YOU give some evidence on some university websites stating clearly that they do not like applicants with a CS A-Level? No doubt taking maths, further maths and physics is a good thing and will help your application, but doing an A-Level in CS will NOT impede your application.

Further to this, pre-degree courses are to build up your knowledge. Using the flawed logic of your argument would mean we shouldn't be doing any subject until we reach undergraduate level because it would result in bad habits. Idiotic.

You do also realise some universities offer a reduced offer to those who have studied CS at A-Level? E.g. Nottingham
(edited 7 years ago)
Nah

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending