The Student Room Group

Has political upheaval made you anxious for the future?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CoffeeGeek
It's narrow-minded to say the people who voted leave are "dumb f*cks".

The only one being dumb (ignorant is probably a better word) is you.

Nah, but the majority of dumb ****s voted Leave I'd say.
Original post by That Bearded Man

You could say the same for remain. The assumption that all people who voted Remain are educated is wrong.
Original post by CoffeeGeek
You could say the same for remain. The assumption that all people who voted Remain are educated is wrong.

Well, you can't really, one of the main voting groups for Leave were in those who had GCSEs as their highest qualification. Unless you mean educated in the sense of being aware of the reasons, which is still well correlated with education attainment I imagine.
Well, you can't really, one of the main voting groups for Leave were in those who had GCSEs as their highest qualification. Unless you mean educated in the sense of being aware of the reasons, which is still well correlated with education attainment I imagine.

So? That doesn't mean that their views are less valid than those with degrees. I am sick of the liberal elite acting as though poorly educated people are too dumb to make their own decisions. We voted leave, now deal with it.
Reply 44

Education is no guarantee of intelligence. Although apparently it correlates to a superiority complex the size of the ****ing EU itself.

Yeah man, plumbers and electricians and builders and all those people with useful, vital, practical skills that keep our whole country ticking along while we all waste our formative years in state education, those people are total morons. Why do we even need them? Deport the plumbers.
Reply 45

Another way of looking at it.

Those who voted leave were more likely to have left school and got a job instead of still living in government funded paradises.
Original post by jape
Education is no guarantee of intelligence. Although apparently it correlates to a superiority complex the size of the ****ing EU itself.

Yeah man, plumbers and electricians and builders and all those people with useful, vital, practical skills that keep our whole country ticking along while we all waste our formative years in state education, those people are total morons. Why do we even need them? Deport the plumbers.

It is no guarantee, I agree, but as stated I imagine they correlate quite well.

Classic example is the regret reported in areas that voted Leave, Sunderland for example. Were there to be a re-vote I imagine Remain would win. Seemingly many people bought the rhetoric and didn't predict there would be immediate economic repercussions. When people celebrate the discarding of experts as "Remoaners" I get suspicious.

That second paragraph is totally irrelevant.
Original post by AreUHigh
Another way of looking at it.

Those who voted leave were more likely to have left school and got a job instead of still living in government funded paradises.

That's true. Uni students arguably having been sheltered in quite Left uni institutions and having never worked, paid taxes or budgeted won't grasp some of the other issues. I imagine bureaucratic and environmental challenges come under this.
Reply 48
It is no guarantee, I agree, but as stated I imagine they correlate quite well.

Classic example is the regret reported in areas that voted Leave, Sunderland for example. Were there to be a re-vote I imagine Remain would win. Seemingly many people bought the rhetoric and didn't predict there would be immediate economic repercussions. When people celebrate the discarding of experts as "Remoaners" I get suspicious.

Reality doesn't conform to your sage estimations I'm afraid. The British people don't have buyer's remorse. YouGov have been confirming this regularly.

Remoaners is a derogatory term for individuals and insufferable Evening Standard columnists who have spent the last six months, you guessed it, moaning. Experts (by which I mean actual experts, not people who work in unrelated fields who happen to agree with you) have largely just gone about their jobs preparing to face the uncertainty ahead.
Original post by Len Goodman
So? That doesn't mean that their views are less valid than those with degrees. I am sick of the liberal elite acting as though poorly educated people are too dumb to make their own decisions. We voted leave, now deal with it.

I assume here that degree attainment correlates fairly well with intelligence, but they aren't synonymous.

I would argue that they are more likely to be suckered in by false promises, £350mill for NHS, that Britain WILL GET A GREAT DEAL and all that jazz. They also are quite rigid about staying Leave, despite promising a re-vote should they narrowly lose.

We have voted Leave, but now what? It was only advisory, the Leavers will be split down the middle in the decision over Hard v Soft Brexit, so it's not done and dusted.
Original post by jape
Reality doesn't conform to your sage estimations I'm afraid. The British people don't have buyer's remorse. YouGov have been confirming this regularly.

Remoaners is a derogatory term for individuals and insufferable Evening Standard columnists who have spent the last six months, you guessed it, moaning. Experts (by which I mean actual experts, not people who work in unrelated fields who happen to agree with you) have largely just gone about their jobs preparing to face the uncertainty ahead.

And yet so many who cast doubt on this brilliant deal we will get, referring to the 10 year delay or how one nation can't outmuscle the 27(?) are branded as this.

Fair do's actually, I found that on yougov there now, seemingly the Leave vote has remained steady and sovereignty is still the big seller.

"However, with one exception, they did not regret their decision to vote leave, and the idea of a second referendum was rejected. Most claimed that their decision to vote leave had been based more on regaining sovereignty and control, rather than immigration (though the two issues were related for some). That said, there was also a strong sense that that the result had been reinforced by a protest vote, directed particularly at George Osborne and David Cameron"
And yet so many who cast doubt on this brilliant deal we will get, referring to the 10 year delay or how one nation can't outmuscle the 27(?) are branded as this.

Fair do's actually, I found that on yougov there now, seemingly the Leave vote has remained steady and sovereignty is still the big seller.

"However, with one exception, they did not regret their decision to vote leave, and the idea of a second referendum was rejected. Most claimed that their decision to vote leave had been based more on regaining sovereignty and control, rather than immigration (though the two issues were related for some). That said, there was also a strong sense that that the result had been reinforced by a protest vote, directed particularly at George Osborne and David Cameron"

I wanted George Osborne as PM

Quick Reply

Latest