The Student Room Group

Am I right in being a little annoyed at my mum, or is she just sensible?

My mum is always going on about risk (I won't say my age lol) but I'm female. I go running and if it's raining she will say something like it's far too wet/cold and that I'm insane (runners run in lots of weather conditions). I'm joining the navy reserves and I am supposed to attend on Wednesdays from half 6 to half 9. I can drive but weeks ago she was saying it's unsafe to stand at the deserted train station at night plus it takes 2 hours to get home. It annoys me as I'm already quite anxious and do t ah e friends I don't need someone going on about risks and danger all the time. So I drive but she has been comming with me in the car and waiting on the car park, she drives back and to be fair it does give me a rest from driving as I work full time and am driving for work 3 and half hours per day.

Today I thought she was comming with me but shes been out of the house all day so I rang her a short while ago to ask if she was comming. She was at my aunts house and said that it was unsafe to go (I thought here we go again lol) as there's been a weather warning issued due to wind that has advised people not to travel unless absolute neccasary. I said 'I wished you'd have rang me earlier to say you didn't want to go as I could have arranged to get the train'. She said 'well I bet public transport will be affected, there will be no one else going'. I heard my aunts voice in the background also saying it's too windy. I've looked up the weather for my area (north west) and there's a yellow warning for tomorrow 'snow and wind' but there's no warning in my area for this evening and I can't find anywhere where it says avoid travel unless neccasary. I'm going to have to travel an hour and half away for work tomorrow anyway.

I'm just wary of missing a lot of navy training as I've already missed 3 weeks and already have to catch up on things. What I wanted to ask though is am I right to feel annoyed/is she being way too over cautious on life, or is it me that is unappreciative and unsensible? There is a little wind outside but I'm just a bit embarrassed to ring up the navy and tell them it's too windy to get there :/ I'm sure I'd have to drive in heavy winds when I get mobilised. Correct me if if I'm wrong in my thinking though and I will try to change my perception.

Just wanted opinions/advice.
Reply 1
anyone
Original post by Anonymous
My mum is always going on about risk (I won't say my age lol) but I'm female. I go running and if it's raining she will say something like it's far too wet/cold and that I'm insane (runners run in lots of weather conditions). I'm joining the navy reserves and I am supposed to attend on Wednesdays from half 6 to half 9. I can drive but weeks ago she was saying it's unsafe to stand at the deserted train station at night plus it takes 2 hours to get home. It annoys me as I'm already quite anxious and do t ah e friends I don't need someone going on about risks and danger all the time. So I drive but she has been comming with me in the car and waiting on the car park, she drives back and to be fair it does give me a rest from driving as I work full time and am driving for work 3 and half hours per day.

Today I thought she was comming with me but shes been out of the house all day so I rang her a short while ago to ask if she was comming. She was at my aunts house and said that it was unsafe to go (I thought here we go again lol) as there's been a weather warning issued due to wind that has advised people not to travel unless absolute neccasary. I said 'I wished you'd have rang me earlier to say you didn't want to go as I could have arranged to get the train'. She said 'well I bet public transport will be affected, there will be no one else going'. I heard my aunts voice in the background also saying it's too windy. I've looked up the weather for my area (north west) and there's a yellow warning for tomorrow 'snow and wind' but there's no warning in my area for this evening and I can't find anywhere where it says avoid travel unless neccasary. I'm going to have to travel an hour and half away for work tomorrow anyway.

I'm just wary of missing a lot of navy training as I've already missed 3 weeks and already have to catch up on things. What I wanted to ask though is am I right to feel annoyed/is she being way too over cautious on life, or is it me that is unappreciative and unsensible? There is a little wind outside but I'm just a bit embarrassed to ring up the navy and tell them it's too windy to get there :/ I'm sure I'd have to drive in heavy winds when I get mobilised. Correct me if if I'm wrong in my thinking though and I will try to change my perception.

Does your drive take you down lots of tree lined roads? If so then driving in the wind is pretty dangerous.

If not then go alone - make sure your phone is charged and you've got credit and take a blanket and a torch in the car (and sensible shoes) just in case your journey home gets disrupted. (personally I'd take a pillow and a sleeping bag and a change of clothes - that way if you're too tired or just don't feel like driving home tonight at 9pm you can kip in your car and drive straight into work tomorrow).

Hi, I think you are right to feel a little annoyed and she probably is overly cautious. But that may just be because she's a mum. Most mums are like that. I would've thought that she doesn't want you to be involved in the Navy, but you said she would go in the car with you so I guess you can rule that out. I'm not sure as to why she's so cautious about your safety other than the fact that it's because she's your mum. Even though you may feel quite annoyed at her, I would too, but you have to remember that she's just being a mum. Maybe when/if you have children you'll fully understand where she's coming from?
Reply 4
Original post by MissIntrov
Hi, I think you are right to feel a little annoyed and she probably is overly cautious. But that may just be because she's a mum. Most mums are like that. I would've thought that she doesn't want you to be involved in the Navy, but you said she would go in the car with you so I guess you can rule that out. I'm not sure as to why she's so cautious about your safety other than the fact that it's because she's your mum. Even though you may feel quite annoyed at her, I would too, but you have to remember that she's just being a mum. Maybe when/if you have children you'll fully understand where she's coming from?

I'm not a child anymore though, you'l be surprised at how old I am and still living with parents. I do need to move out as soon as possible.
Your joining the navy reserves, and she's nervous about you driving on your own? She's likely nervous you're going to get hurt if you actually get in, so it's probably her hiding her fear through this.
I'm not a child anymore though, you'l be surprised at how old I am and still living with parents. I do need to move out as soon as possible.

To parents, age doesn't matter though. But yeah I suppose because you're not a child it should be different.
Reply 7
Original post by PQ
Does your drive take you down lots of tree lined roads? If so then driving in the wind is pretty dangerous.

If not then go alone - make sure your phone is charged and you've got credit and take a blanket and a torch in the car (and sensible shoes) just in case your journey home gets disrupted. (personally I'd take a pillow and a sleeping bag and a change of clothes - that way if you're too tired or just don't feel like driving home tonight at 9pm you can kip in your car and drive straight into work tomorrow).

Thanks, there are tree lined roads but it's mainly an A road then just through the city. It's too late now I've rang them to say that I can't go, I've not said that its too windy to get there I've used another excuse lol, I'm just whining about the principle of the thing. I will just drive on my own in future
Reply 8
Original post by That'sGreat
Your joining the navy reserves, and she's nervous about you driving on your own? She's likely nervous you're going to get hurt if you actually get in, so it's probably her hiding her fear through this.

It's other things too though. When I was 21 I was getting a lift home with someone from the sports club I go to at about 9 pm (was in the same town just a 5 minute drive away lol). She rang me to ask where I was. I said 'suchabody' was giving me a lift home and the person driving heard and I was a little embarrassed but told myself not to be as it was no big deal. Anyway the person told others at the club and a few weeks later one of them mentioned that the person who drove me home thought my parents were over protected and that I'm a bit sheltered. Ever since this incident it has annoyed me everytime my mum mentions safety or tries to put me off doing something. I do need to move out
Wait, how old are you?
Wait, how old are you?

Way too old to be living at home, I can't say my actual age everyone will say it's pathetic.
do you live in London? If not, rent a flat.
do you live in London? If not, rent a flat.

No I live in the North, I planned to save for a mortgage as I'm not paying parents quite as much as rent costs but yea the only way to get out soon really is to rent.
Mums just tend to be overprotective, my mum's the same about my running - I don't live with her so it's not a big deal but when I go and stay if it's rainy, a little windy, stormy, cold, warm - bascially anything but 15 degrees and clear - then she's worrying that I 'shouldn't go out'. For me unless it's icy (and properly icy not just a little frost) then I'm gonna go out and even then it's more that I'd have no fun than that I think it's too dangerous. She also worries a lot about everything, if I say I walk home through a park she panics etc. But try not to get annoyed - it's just that she loves you and wants to keep you safe. She is over protective and it is your life, driving in heavy winds can be dangerous and she is right there but you should be able to tell loooking outside whether it's safe or not (if the wind is strong enough to take a tree branch/tree down then you'll hear it.
Too sensible. You can make too much sense of things, my mum isn't but my sister is and my cousins are and a lot of the extended family but most of Northern Ireland speaks with honesty and it's nice but having so many people in you're immediate family like that is annoying and they seem to associate with the armed forces. I have an ability with a sniper myself but still this worship of guns brings you nowhere the people who actually use them are really just in another country and they spend a mandatory week on holiday in Cyprus before they are allowed home if they've had a lot of stress. You can see what I am saying you can be too sensible

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending