The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Is Girton only unpopular due to its distance from Cambridge? It looks like a really nice college.
Original post by CutieTootsie
Anyone schiving tomorrow?

wish I could but I have mocks :frown:
also it might possibly be healthier for me to talk to and see other people rather than sit in front of my letterbox all day
Original post by theo.515
Does anyone know about pembroke? Have they officially set a date that they will be sending emails out (im from cyprus so i dont think the letter will make it here by tomorrow) and i cant find anything on their website

HI!
i applied to pembroke too for natsci (physics) from hungary, so same thing here :biggrin:
Original post by glad-he-ate-her
anyone know which colleges most commonly fish?

For Natsci, Churchill and Newnham fish the most! I'd love to go to either of those (or any college for that matter)
Original post by jamestg
Gentlemen, it's been an honour playing with you tonight. :captain:

[video="youtube;mCEfqj9pDAI"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCEfqj9pDAI[/video]

James... this is so depressing dude.
Original post by onlyvips
What does it mean if you get a letter from a different college than the one you applied for? Does It mean you have an offer?

Indeed it does.
Original post by jamestg
Gentlemen, it's been an honour playing with you tonight. :captain:

[video="youtube;mCEfqj9pDAI"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCEfqj9pDAI[/video]

Omg Don't be so pessimistic! No news is good news! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CutieTootsie
James... this is so depressing dude.

Tell me about it :cry2:
Just realized I shouldnt be listening to a song called REQUIEM FOR A DREAM with a pending Cambridge appilcation ... XD XD :biggrin:
Original post by peachykeen
wish I could but I have mocks :frown:
also it might possibly be healthier for me to talk to and see other people rather than sit in front of my letterbox all day

Yeah I really wanna skip school too but I always get more studying done at school than at home :rolleyes:
Original post by Gold-Confetti
Thank you! Just arrived at Selwyn, nice to be greeted by a porter who's spent time in my area near to where I live, it's comforting! I feel hideously underdressed though, walked into he porters lodge and saw a bunch of guys wearing black bow ties 😳🙈

Don't worry - they are just going to formal hall ("fancy" dinner).
Original post by wolfmoon88
Omg Don't be so pessimistic! No news is good news! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

The emoji fits my college tho, FOR THE WHEEL!!
Original post by TH3-FL45H
Yes

I don't think that they say the decision in the subject line

Thank u

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Original post by jneill
Indeed it does.

Thank u

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Original post by jamestg

:rofl: :rofl: :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by daniilS
This is not helping :cry2:

Definitely not but would @jneill have any insights? ^^
Original post by Oddwatermelon
Is Girton only unpopular due to its distance from Cambridge? It looks like a really nice college.

Basically, yes. It's a really lovely college inside, definitely the most Hogwartsy one I've been in.

Original post by jamestg

Good to see we're getting you in the Catz spirit already, FTW. :tongue:
Original post by IcedArizona
Are usually UK qualification applicants more succesful in the winter pool? Was just wondering as it might be easier to 'analyse' a candidate's potential if he or she has 'standard' qualifications

In the January 2016 pool for Natural Sciences, about 10% applicants who were not taking A-levels received an offer, whilst around 20% applicants who had a predicted grade for at least one A-level received an offer. This excludes post A-level candidates.

Data: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/318056/response/784547/attach/html/2/FOI%202016%2097%20Hamilton%20data.xlsx.html

Edit: My numbers were slightly off but they still give a good idea of the relative percentages.
(edited 7 years ago)
As a parent, I wish you all the very best of luck; to have got this far is truly amazing! Regardless of the outcome I couldn't be prouder of my daughter or love her more if I tried & I am sure every parent supporting a nervous applicant tonight would agree that this is how they feel too.

My hard won wisdom (ok, I am an old fart who graduated 25 years ago) is that regardless of the news you get tomorrow, there are no clear dividing lines of 'winners' and 'losers'. You will all get some information tomorrow about the next stage of your lives (or next week for those with pool re-interviews), it's what you do with the information that will determine those who will look back on tomorrow with the greatest source of pride.

I have a funny feeling that each and every one of you has the ability to make a success of tomorrow's outcome.

Good luck!

PS PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE don't worry about how others will think about you if you don't get an offer. Just think about the remarkably generous responses you have all given to the disappointed candidates and remember that's how everyone else will think too. You've not let anyone down, least of all yourselves.
Original post by Forecast
In the January 2016 pool for Natural Sciences, just 14 out of 129 applicants who were not taking A-levels received an offer, whilst 97 out of 475 applicants who had a predicted grade for at least one A-level received an offer. This excludes post A-level candidates.

Data: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/318056/response/784547/attach/html/2/FOI%202016%2097%20Hamilton%20data.xlsx.html

Thank you very much for this info, although it doesn't give much reassurance to an applicant with the french bac haha :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending