The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

For everyone who gets offers who needs to make offers: :biggrin:

https://youtu.be/NwlBxYyjrqM

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by theo.515
Does anyone know about pembroke? Have they officially set a date that they will be sending emails out (im from cyprus so i dont think the letter will make it here by tomorrow) and i cant find anything on their website

All colleges will be emailing non-UK applicants tomorrow.
Popping in as a 2016 crew to say very best of luck with the D-day tomorrow. I vividly remember how nerve wracking it was last year!

Remember that the decision, regardless of what it is, doesn't define your worth. You are all a lot more than what a piece of paper from some educational institution says.

I hope to see some of you next year :smile:

Sleep well! At least try to!
Tomorrow's school day will be only email refreshing.
Original post by Oddwatermelon
Is Girton only unpopular due to its distance from Cambridge? It looks like a really nice college.

pretty much,

got a few friends there and it's a really really nice college. just far out
Original post by Replusz
Anyone applied for Pembroke here?
Or someone from outside UK?

Yes, Pembroke! :biggrin:
Original post by Forecast
In the January 2016 pool for Natural Sciences, about 10% applicants who were not taking A-levels received an offer, whilst around 20% applicants who had a predicted grade for at least one A-level received an offer. This excludes post A-level candidates.

Data: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/318056/response/784547/attach/html/2/FOI%202016%2097%20Hamilton%20data.xlsx.html

Edit: My numbers were slightly off but they still give a good idea of the relative percentages.

I might as well leave this thread right now :getmecoat:
Original post by daniilS
I might as well leave this thread right now :getmecoat:

Don't leave! :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Obiejess
They do internationals first apparently.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh god, just kill me now
Original post by TIF141
Yes, Pembroke! :biggrin:

and what subject??????
btw. HI :biggrin:
Original post by IcedArizona
Are usually UK qualification applicants more succesful in the winter pool? Was just wondering as it might be easier to 'analyse' a candidate's potential if he or she has 'standard' qualifications

Definitely not but would @jneill have any insights? ^^

Cambridge is very experienced at assessing applicants from around the world.
I don't think overseas applicants are at any greater disadvantage (or advantage) in the pool than in getting a direct offer.

But there's no specific data afaik...
Original post by Saracen's Fez

Good to see we're getting you in the Catz spirit already, FTW. :tongue:

Haha, unfortunately this spirit will only last around 16 hours :frown:
Original post by glad-he-ate-her
anyone know which colleges most commonly fish?

All colleges fish, even Trinity, but the heaviest fishers are, in no particular order, Murray Edwards, Newnham, Girton, Robinson, Homerton, Churchill for humanities, Fitzwilliam. Most colleges are looking for around 20-30 students with the heaviest fishers up to 100 and the leat heavy looking for a handful.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8iwfvTp84w

Why can't I get this out of my head? :smile:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8iwfvTp84w

Why can't I get this out of my head? :smile:

^
Me rn 😂😂😂

Is this Zoey101? :rofl:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Replusz
and what subject??????
btw. HI :biggrin:

Haha, hey! Haven't seen too many Pembroke people on here...!
NatSci (phys) :smile: You?
Original post by Forecast
In the January 2016 pool for Natural Sciences, about 10% applicants who were not taking A-levels received an offer, whilst around 20% applicants who had a predicted grade for at least one A-level received an offer. This excludes post A-level candidates.

Data: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/318056/response/784547/attach/html/2/FOI%202016%2097%20Hamilton%20data.xlsx.html

Edit: My numbers were slightly off but they still give a good idea of the relative percentages.

But how does that compare to those getting direct offers?
Original post by Murray Edwards Admissions
All colleges fish, even Trinity, but the heaviest fishers are, in no particular order, Murray Edwards, Newnham, Girton, Robinson, Homerton, Churchill for humanities, Fitzwilliam. Most colleges are looking for around 20-30 students with the heaviest fishers up to 100 and the leat heavy looking for a handful.

just out of curiosity, Is fishing seen as a bad thing for the most " elite" colleges and are they less inclined to do so
Original post by peachykeen
i wish girton would fish me it's such a nice college and it's got an indoor pool but they don't do my subject :frown:

are u one of those land econonomies?
Original post by jneill
But how does that compare to those getting direct offers?

Isn't it so that offer rate for international students is quite a bit lower than for home students?

Latest

Trending

Trending