The Student Room Group

Ryan Gosling sexist?!

During his acceptance speech for Best Actor in a Musical at the Golden Globes, Gosling thanked his wife, Eva Mendez. Gosling noted that Mendez had made sacrifices and if she “hadn’t taken it all on so [he] could have this experience [making the film] it would surely be someone else up here other than [him] today. So, Sweetheart, Thank you.”

An independent journalist critises his speech, saying it wasn't cute, it was sexist.

You can read more on the story here.

Here is Ryan's speech.

What do you make of this? Was it sexist? Or was the journalist over reacting and it was just an expression of love?
I think it's a question of jealousy and lack of companionship.
When none issues like this get blown way out of proportion by some inadequate social justice warrior it belittles actual cases of sexism.

This guy gave a sincere thank you to his life partner for shouldering his share of their responsibilities while he pursued a possible once in a lifetime opportunity to create something which has been recognised as great by the awards body.

In doing so he is acknowledging they are his equal responsibilities, so proclaiming equality between him and his female life partner. Would he do the same for her? Well, he can't bear children so no. What a pig :closedeyes:
Original post by Danny Dorito
During his acceptance speech for Best Actor in a Musical at the Golden Globes, Gosling thanked his wife, Eva Mendez. Gosling noted that Mendez had made sacrifices and if she “hadn’t taken it all on so [he] could have this experience [making the film] it would surely be someone else up here other than [him] today. So, Sweetheart, Thank you.”

An independent journalist critises his speech, saying it wasn't cute, it was sexist.

What do you make of this? Was it sexist? Or was the journalist over reacting and it was just an expression of love?

Wouldn't say his speech was sexist, and thats not really what the article was saying. It was saying more that hollywood as a whole is sexist and that Gosling's wife shouldn't had had to pause her career to 'look after the kids' for her husband. Which, she shouldn't really have to do, but it was her decision I guess. So no, Ryan Gosling was not sexist in his speech, but the situation Eva Mendes was placed in, kind of was.
I don't even know what's going on here.
All I know is Eva Mendez is hot :biggrin: and Ryan is one lucky dude.
Original post by BigYoSpeck
When none issues like this get blown way out of proportion by some inadequate social justice warrior it belittles actual cases of sexism.

This guy gave a sincere thank you to his life partner for shouldering his share of their responsibilities while he pursued a possible once in a lifetime opportunity to create something which has been recognised as great by the awards body.

In doing so he is acknowledging they are his equal responsibilities, so proclaiming equality between him and his female life partner. Would he do the same for her? Well, he can't bear children so no. What a pig :closedeyes:

Today's society is more concerned whether the audience of Gosling speech was offended, than the person the speech was directed to (Mendez) - if that makes sense.

I'm sure Mendez thought it was a nice and thoughtful gesture, with no sexist undertones.
What a ****ing nanny state we live in here in the west, that a man can't show endearment toward a female without being accused of being condescending and sexist.
Why do you even post **** like that? It's obviously going to result either in a) a consensus that it's ridiculous, or b) a huge argument, because there was absolutely nothing sexist unless you're an insane liberal working in the media but then the whole world is a huge scary conspiracy and you're fit for a straitjacket anyway.
If you read the article it's more like the writer uses Gosling's speech as an excuse to get on a soapbox about sexism and then goes on a massive rant against stay at home mothers.

Which isn't that much of an improvement, really...
Except that's how it's always been for normal, non-degenerate people. Your partner actively supports you in your aspirations and you do the same for them.
Original post by Danny Dorito

Here is Ryan's speech.

I don't think he forced her to stay at home and look after the kids, it was probably a choice she made and one of them has to work to support the family, so if that's the arrangement they made then it's not sexist. If Eva didn't want to put her career on hold then I'm sure she wouldn't have.
Professionally offended at it again.

His own WIFE by her own will supported him, and some other woman who has nothing to do with them butts in and tell them that's sexist? FOH :laugh:
Original post by Mathemagicien
triggered

We need less social justice and more social hygiene.
Something capitalism (mainly consumerism) isn't encouraging...

It would be less of an issue if we repealed all social welfare programs.
Yes, but then what about poor people turning to crime? We'd need some sort of authorities to deal with them.

Already solved the issue.
Whoever made this "complaint" is being a attention seeker. People like this should just be ignored.
Someone send this to Bill Burr.
Oh No, He is not a sexist, I am in no place to make a statement on him, but he seems like a genuine guy. No Fake Show. He is a married man and has a family of his own. u can see for yourself Ryan Gosling Family

Latest

Trending

Trending