The Student Room Group

Are you serious?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I am a girl with severe period pains. 1 day a month I have lower back pains, cramps stretching all the way down to my knees and I vomit/throw up. I have never been away from work/studies because of it. Why? I eat painkillers. A lot of painkillers. And a lot of women do. Should I have to selfmedicate in order to go to work? Should the workplace be allowed to demand that I take birthcontrol pills? (I have never used them, and try to stay away from using them as longterm sideeffects are not well documented)

I know that my case is not the norm, and that a lot of women might take advantage of such an arrangement, but there are a few of us who could actually need such an arrangement. Personally, if I was only bothered with the lower back pain and cramps, I would go to work anyway, as those things I could hide. The throwing up part is what makes going to work uncomfortable and unbearable :-(
Original post by Nirvana1989-1994
They don't work for every woman.

I was under the impression that menstrual suppression was 'universal' in its nature. If it doesn't work for all women I understand and that's a different case entirely.
Original post by Conceited
I was under the impression that menstrual suppression was 'universal' in its nature. If it doesn't work for all women I understand and that's a different case entirely.

Okay. :smile:
How about a day off for mental health instead? Females call in sick if they're that 'ill' from their period.
I agree with the above poster. I'm not sure why you couldn't file that under sick leave if its severe enough.
Original post by Sara_t
I remember when I had to go home from work when I forgot my painkillers. I thought, whatever, I'll work through it but I literally felt like I was going to die. Started getting hot and cold sweats, felt light headed and dizzy and thought i'd vomit because of how bad the pain was. It was so excruciating that I could barely walk (sitting didn't help either) or concentrate on anything other than the pain. Yeh, not all women get bad period pains, but for some of us it's horrific. I guess the downside of this is that you can't be sure whether it's being used as a genuine excuse. Also, I find that painkillers generally help most women get through work.

Original post by Mshaga94
I am a girl with severe period pains. 1 day a month I have lower back pains, cramps stretching all the way down to my knees and I vomit/throw up. I have never been away from work/studies because of it. Why? I eat painkillers. A lot of painkillers. And a lot of women do. Should I have to selfmedicate in order to go to work? Should the workplace be allowed to demand that I take birthcontrol pills? (I have never used them, and try to stay away from using them as longterm sideeffects are not well documented) I know that my case is not the norm, and that a lot of women might take advantage of such an arrangement, but there are a few of us who could actually need such an arrangement. Personally, if I was only bothered with the lower back pain and cramps, I would go to work anyway, as those things I could hide. The throwing up part is what makes going to work uncomfortable and unbearable :-(
Original post by Supernova91
U know , periods can be debilitating for some women, fainting , vomiting ect. I get bad pains , sometimes unbearable , I don't think I've ever felt unwell enough to not work. Again, as I always say, we're not all the same. We are effected differently in each case .
Original post by SinsNotTragedies
Not really too much info tho is it I mean you just said you're on your period nbd Bc some women have extremely heavy bleeding (to name but one hindrance), and some are constantly worrying about bleeding over everything. Just bc your period isn't getting in the way doesn't mean that other girls don't suffer (from intense pain, passing out, fatigue, etcetera). I don't believe you're a girl lmao. If you are then shame on you for disparaging your entire gender. Typical 'I hate girls' girl - okay I get it, you're different

You poor things. It seems as though your bodies and that of a lot of women aren't designed for work as they are for men...

You guys should definitely get a week off work when you have a period. You should not get paid for it too and it should definitely affect your chances at a promotion....If you work less you should not be paid the same overall amount at the end of the year as a person who works more than you. That would be unfair. The same can be said of promotions. If you work less you should not have the same chance at a promotion as a person who works more....

Equality.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 26
Original post by CookieButter
You poor things. It seems as though your bodies and that of a lot of women aren't designed for work as they are for men...

You guys should definitely get a week off work when you have a period. You should not get paid for it too and it should definitely affect your chances at a promotion....If you work less you should not be paid the same overall amount at the end of the year as a person who works more than you. That would be unfair. The same can be said of promotions. If you work less you should not have the same chance at a promotion as a person who works more....

Equality.

You know what a cramp is? A simple, straightforward cramp? I guess you have had several throughout the course of your life, and might even found them to be painful? Or maybe you have enjoyed the ones you've had? Or maybe you are a couchpotatoe who has never engaged in physical activity and experienced the pain of a cramp?

It is not our fault that SOME women have a uterus that contracts with such force during our periods that it cuts off it's own oxygen supply and causes pain.

And by the way, if men had a muscle in their body, that for one day a month had a cramp for 24 hours, you would all have synced your periods and declared a monthly world wide "Men's day off" years ago....
(edited 7 years ago)
As a girl who suffers with debilitating period pains, I can see why this is being considered.

Periods are something we have little control over, and being forced to work on a day when you feel like you can't even stand up is horrible. Not every woman will need this day or so off but some women will.

People who don't experience such severe period pains or even experience periods at all shouldn't have an opinion on this because quite frankly it doesn't at all affect them.
You know what a cramp is? A simple, straightforward cramp? I guess you have had several throughout the course of your life, and might even found them to be painful? Or maybe you have enjoyed the ones you've had? Or maybe you are a couchpotatoe who has never engaged in physical activity and experienced the pain of a cramp?

It is not our fault that SOME women have a uterus that contracts with such force during our periods that it cuts off it's own oxygen supply and causes pain.

No-one said its your fault....im just saying that this shows that women aren't designed for work the way men are and it seems that 45% of voters on that thread agree with me on this.

And by the way, if men had a muscle in their body, that for one day a month had a cramp for 24 hours, you would all have synced your periods and declared a monthly world wide "Men's day off" years ago....

My uncle fought in the iran iraq war...his tank was taken out by an Iraqi RPG..he lost both of his friends in that attack and injured his leg and his arm (which he lost later) and he remained hidden in the tank with the corpses in the sweltering desert heat for 3 days where he tended to his horrific wounds without making a sound for fear of being noticed and captured by the iraqi forces which wound up happening anyway. Men whinge about muscle cramps?? lol you clearly have no clue of what it is to be a man......besides, how plausible is this proposition of yours in a world were men are taught to keep their pains hidden....? you are not being real.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 29
Well, such an accomplishment comes from your uncle's great character and strength. That comes from the soul. Not his genitalea. Or dord such an extraordinary accomplishment come out of his penis?

No, you might be right, but why do appear to know anything about a woman's pain?

And you kind ofjust made my point. Men's pain seems to be far greater than the pain a woman can feel. So if men had muscle cramps once a month, it would be much more grave and severe than when a woman has it. While it actually has been done research that shows women have higher pain thresholds than men.

Women have been working and doing the same job as men has for years, despite of added pain. If those women who suffer from severe period pains doesnt get the opportunity to take a day off a month, they will just continue on as they always have, despite the pain.
Reply 30
No-one said its your fault....im just saying that this shows that women aren't designed for work the way men are and it seems that 45% of voters on that thread agree with me on this.

My uncle fought in the iran iraq war...his tank was taken out by an Iraqi RPG..he lost both of his friends in that attack and injured his leg and his arm (which he lost later) and he remained hidden in the tank with the corpses in the sweltering desert heat for 3 days where he tended to his horrific wounds without making a sound for fear of being noticed and captured by the iraqi forces which wound up happening anyway. Men whinge about muscle cramps?? lol you clearly have no clue of what it is to be a man......besides, how plausible is this proposition of yours in a world were men are taught to keep their pains hidden....? you are not being real.

It is highly plausibel. Because it would be masculine pain that only men could feel. It would most likely have been considered a privileged. Well, don't accuse women for being strong enough to say something about experiencing pain then, if its so hard to do. If you feel society treats men wrongly, and tells you to hide you pain, do not attack those who are fighting for the exact same thing: that their pain is to be taken seriously, even if people LIKE YOU point out how weak that make them...
As many people have stated, SOME women are afflicted by genuinely debilitating side effects from their periods, yet clearly a great many do not. Surely this means a blanket holiday for all females whenever they have a period would be completely unfair? The affliction is not one of the entire gender but of people within it, so shouldn't bad pain from a period be considered a condition like a migraine or similar?

The severe pain that some people feel is surely bad, but how does this separate them from, someone who gets serious migraines on a regular basis, I know someone who at several points in the past has found it genuinely difficult to get himself out of bed, can barely function throughout the day, why is it fair that he has to take this day out of his sick leave but someone a period gets a special day for it.

There are a great many of these sorts of conditions that affect people on a relatively regular basis in dreadful manners, and whilst it isn't nice that they have to deal with it. They have done so and continue to do so. Unless this was looking for a day of holiday for all people who are affected by conditions such as these, I don't see how something like this could be defensible, and in addition a law which would entitle all women to a holiday, no matter the level of pain the sufferer goes through, is completely indefensible in my eyes.
Original post by Conceited
Not a girl either (which I hope members can ascertain without explanation). But, if it is so tragic then women do have the option of undertaking continuous hormonal birth controls which prevent the bleeding every 4 weeks. Boom, no need for a day/week/year off.

Doesn't stop the pain completely. I take the pill because I was getting migraine as well. I still get quite a lot of pain and it doesn't stop the bleeding either.
It is highly plausibel. Because it would be masculine pain that only men could feel. It would most likely have been considered a privileged.

In a world that views masculinity as a crime? yeah right...

You claimed that men would sync their periods and have a world wide men's week off work... isn't this exactly what you are trying to do? ...and you think this would be plausible for men? how likely is this to happen in a world that revolves around women in every aspect of life? How many mens days are there? How many people take them seriously? Now ask yourself how many women's days there are and how seriously they are taken....it seems that you are exactly that same thing that you despise in the opposite gender...

Well, don't accuse women for being strong enough to say something about experiencing pain then, if its so hard to do. If you feel society treats men wrongly, and tells you to hide you pain, do not attack those who are fighting for the exact same thing: that their pain is to be taken seriously, even if people LIKE YOU point out how weak that make them...

How ridiculous!!!! You are not fighting for the exact same thing as men....You are fighting for privileged treatment for women.. You want to take time off work and have it not affect your wage or your chances at a promotion. You want to sit at home on your ass all day and be paid for doing nothing...You want to have the same chance at a promotion as a guy who works more than you....That is not what men are fighting for!!! we are fighting for equality not special treatment.
(edited 7 years ago)
In a world that views masculinity as a crime? yeah right...

You claimed that men would sync their periods and have a world wide men's week off work... isn't this exactly what you are trying to do? ...and you think this would be plausible for men? how likely is this to happen in a world that revolves around women in every aspect of life? How many mens days are there? How many people take them seriously? Now ask yourself how many women's day there are and how seriously they are taken....it seems that you are exactly that same thing that you despise in the opposite gender...

How ridiculous!!!! You are not fighting for the exact same thing as men....You are fighting for privileged treatment for women.. You want to take time off work and have it not affect your wage or your chances at a promotion. You want to sit at home on your ass all day and be paid for doing nothing...You want to have the same chance at a promotion as a guy who works more than you....That is not what men are fighting for!!! we are fighting for equality not special treatment.

You my friend are 100% correct. Anyone with common sense would know that its not right for a woman to take a day off because of her period and not let it affect her wage.
Just read my posts above lol, women are just lazy complainers who expect the world to work around their needs but complain about gender inequality and pay lmao what a joke

Grow the f up.

Equality.

Beautiful post.
Oh what a surprise - men discussing issues about painful periods. I assume you've dealt with a period which has mean you can't walk, (which codeine doesn't touch) you've vomited or you've had back ache? And if you vomit, you can't go to work for 48 hours.

And no, the pill doesn't cure those issues. I was put on the pill because my period was giving me migraine. I still get the back / kidney pain. There are issues with the pill as well. My periods are now all over the place.
Original post by Tiger Rag
Oh what a surprise - men discussing issues about painful periods. I assume you've dealt with a period which has mean you can't walk, (which codeine doesn't touch) you've vomited or you've had back ache? And if you vomit, you can't go to work for 48 hours.

Hello again, I'm male, I get regular kidney stones so yes i've experienced that and regularly vomit at work. Now kidney stones are much more painful than a period and more common in men.

How about women get 1 day for periods and men get 2 for kidney stones?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by liberty cap
Hello again, I'm male, I get regular kidney stones so yes i've experienced that and regularly vomit at work. Now kidney stones are much more painful than a period and more common in men.

How about women get 1 day for periods and men get 2 for kidney stones?

Since when were kidney stones exclusive to men?
Original post by years101
I effing know. I'm a girl and currently I'm on my period (too much info) but WHO CARES why the f would we need to miss a day? I hate girls lol typical. Always complaining about pointless things.

Looks like we have a special snowflake over here... Have you even considered medical issues that can accompany periods? Such as endometriosis and polycystic ovaries? Maybe before you start running your mouth to try and be relatable to guys, use your brain.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending