The Student Room Group

The 2017 Oxford Decisions Discussion Thread

Scroll to see replies

Just going to fill out the form because I'm too lazy to engage in the previous conversation in this thread.

Subject: History and Politics
College: Keble
Outcome: Offer
How did you find out? (Email/Letter/Owl): Letter, but got my brother to text me it
How do you feel?: Pretty pleased. I've calmed down a bit.
Got an offer from Keble to read chemistry! So happy :smile:
Original post by andrewdwilliams
Just going to fill out the form because I'm too lazy to engage in the previous conversation in this thread.

Subject: History and Politics
College: Keble
Outcome: Offer
How did you find out? (Email/Letter/Owl): Letter, but got my brother to text me it
How do you feel?: Pretty pleased. I've calmed down a bit.

I'm in at Keble too, see you there maybe aha :smile:
Original post by LisaNikita
Anyone doing Chemistry at Oxford?

Meee! At Magdalen
Original post by ananya_01
Meee! At Magdalen

Me too! Keble though :smile:
Reply 165
Still haven't heard from Exeter re: English Lang and Lit :frown: I reckon I've been rejected because it seems most offer holders got emailed? I just want to know....
Reply 166
Subject: PPE
College: University College (Univ)
Outcome: Offer (Unconditional - well, conditional on me providing proof of my qualifications)
How did you find out? (Email/Letter/Owl): Email this morning quite early (well I received the email then, I only opened it at like 3 pm) - an owl would have been classy though
How do you feel?: can't believe it , very happy but not actually believing this is real
Other: EU applicant from Germany, reapplicant (rejected last year by another college)
(edited 7 years ago)
Subject: Psychology
College: Brasenose
Outcome: Rejection
How did you find out?: Letter
How do you feel?: Meh, don't care. It's expected, statistically you know you're unlikely to get a place. Hopefully random teachers will stop asking me about it now.
Reply 168
Original post by Qwerty178
Subject: Law
College: Balliol
Outcome: Offer (Unconditional)
How did you find out: Email @ 11am
How do you feel?:

Happy, but also weird. I'm dropping out of UCL since there's no point staying here, which feels strange because I had written myself off to be rejected. Also, all my friends are mad at me because I said I wouldn't leave them even if I got an offer. No clue what I'm gonna do with my life in the next 8 months since most of my friends from home are at uni in the UK or Netherlands...

Congrats! So happy about that :smile: Merton PPE rejects from last year destroying it :biggrin: (Merton, you made so many mistakes :biggrin:)
I am a bit concerned now about telling my friends at uni here, I didn't tell them about my application at all cause I figured they might be mad.. Well, now I will have to I guess. I will stay here probably till September though, no point in going home for me. I enjoy it here and no fees, so why not :smile:
Original post by lulabellead
20170111_174403.jpg is this an open offer or offer at Lincoln????

You have a guaranteed place at Oxford but have not yet been assigned a College. This is termed an Open Offer.

Open Offers are made because Medicine expect that some candidates made offers will either decline them, or withdraw before the start of the course, or not meet the terms of their conditions. It is a way of ensuring that all the colleges end up with a full quota at the beginning of the programme.

The letter invites you to contact Lincoln with queries - they should be happy to provide more information if you ask them.

Brasenose Admissions

PS Congratulations!
Original post by BrasenoseAdm
You have a guaranteed place at Oxford but have not yet been assigned a College. This is termed an Open Offer.

Open Offers are made because Medicine expect that some candidates made offers will either decline them, or withdraw before the start of the course, or not meet the terms of their conditions. It is a way of ensuring that all the colleges end up with a full quota at the beginning of the programme.

The letter invites you to contact Lincoln with queries - they should be happy to provide more information if you ask them.

Brasenose Admissions

PS Congratulations!

Would you be able to provide more information on open offers as I was given one today and I am slightly disappointed that I have not been assigned my college of choice?
(edited 7 years ago)
College: Exeter
Outcome: Offer (AAA)
How did you find out: Email
How do you feel: over the moon lol
Original post by Peskymonkeys
hello, congrats on your offer! Did you apply while you were already in uni? Is that possible: transfer from uk uni to uk uni for law?

Thank you! Yeah I applied while already doing Law at UCL. I applied to PPE @ Merton last year and got rejected, chose to do Law @ UCL (applied for like 3 UCL courses because I wanted to go to the best uni I could and wasn't sure what I wanted to do exactly). Transfers aren't possible; I'll be dropping out of UCL so going to have a good 8 months off before starting 1st year again in Ox.
(edited 7 years ago)
My sister still hasn't heard anything! I guess we should probably wait until tomorrow :redface:
Original post by scblx
College: University College (Univ)
Outcome: Offer (Unconditional - well, conditional on me providing proof of my qualifications)
How did you find out? (Email/Letter/Owl): Email this morning quite early (well I received the email then, I only opened it at like 3 pm) - an owl would have been classy though
How do you feel?: can't believe it , very happy but not actually believing this is real

Wow I'm so happy you also made it!! Congrats!! I was looking out for your posts since I got mine this morning hehe :P Screw those Merton PPE tutors, I'll make sure to say hi to them next year :wink: Especially the old philosophy guy! One of my tutors at UCL was a fellow at Univ until this year and she said very good things about it, so I'm sure you'll love it :biggrin:
Reply 175
For the people that got in, what were your GCSE grades?
Reply 176
Original post by Qwerty178
Thank you! Yeah I applied while already doing Law at UCL. I applied to PPE @ Merton last year and got rejected, chose to do Law @ UCL (applied for like 3 UCL courses because I wanted to go to the best uni I could and wasn't sure what I wanted to do exactly). Transfers aren't possible; I'll be dropping out of UCL so going to have a good 8 months off before starting 1st year again in Ox.

How does Oxford treat students who are already studying at another uni? I want to start studying this fall but also reapply.. Also what did you write about it in your ps? (I feel like you need to "explain" why you want to switch, is that the case?)
Original post by Gunjo
For the people that got in, what were your GCSE grades?

Mine were 11 A*s :smile:
Original post by saes
How does Oxford treat students who are already studying at another uni? I want to start studying this fall but also reapply.. Also what did you write about it in your ps? (I feel like you need to "explain" why you want to switch, is that the case?)

I think they're treated pretty much the same as any other in the sense that they still look at your high school grades for admission and give you an offer based off of that (they don't ask for uni grades).

However, it may be a little bit different at interview. I told my tutors that I was already studying Law at UCL. They were a bit surprised to hear that I was reapplying and asked me why I'm doing so. I gave them my reason and they just said ok and moved on. I did suggest in my PS that having applied to PPE last year is part of it, however - I can give it to you privately if you want. I also explicitly mentioned Oxford so they kind of knew something was up.

In the first interview one of the tutors did admit that it was kind of a "mixed bag" that I was studying at another uni in that it gave me some advantage obviously, so I think they held me to a slightly higher standard - which is absolutely fair imo. I guess it can't have been that much of a knock against me seeing as they gave me an offer in the end.
GCSE Grades ?? I'm doing mine in 2018

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending