The Student Room Group

Swiss win EU case - Muslim girls must swim with boys

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Plantagenet Crown
It's not necessarily about the actual swimming pool per se, it's more about learning to interact normally and healthily in situations with the opposite sex where the body isn't completely covered. That way the children will be able to function normally as adults when in swimming pools, beaches etc.

How can you not see the absolute absurdity and ridiculousness of parents wanting to segregate prepubescent children because of fears that there'll be sexual contact/occurrences?

I wouldn't care myself in fact when I was a teenager I used to swim, but in this case it's the secular White atheists who are being illiberal in that they feel they have the right to force another person's children to engage in an activity against their will. I think they should know how to swim for the sake of their own safety, but it's complete hypocrisy to take this self-righteous view that you respect the freedom of the individual, apparently unlike Muslims, when you're forcing activities on them along with your own worldview.
Original post by Mathemagicien
I'm passionate about maths. I don't think I'd give a flying **** if some anonymous poster told me that he/she/xe/they/blaarg felt I was so bad at arguing my points, that he/she/xe/they/blaarg wouldn't want me to help her with his/her/xis/blaars maths homework.

Go on, try to hurt my feelings, internet lady.

Well what if you wanted to be a maths teacher and I said that I think you'd be a rubbish maths teacher and on top of that you were going through a really tough time due to personal problems at home which were so bad you couldn't sleep much for 3 days straight?

Actually I think it's different for people who work in healthcare because our work has really big effects on people and could potentially have big consequences
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm passionate about maths. I don't think I'd give a flying **** if some anonymous poster told me that he/she/xe/they/blaarg felt I was so bad at arguing my points, that he/she/xe/they/blaarg wouldn't want me to help her with his/her/xis/blaars maths homework.

Go on, try to hurt my feelings, internet lady.

''Everyone else should think, act and behave like me''
Original post by l'etranger
they feel they have the right to force another person's children to engage in an activity against their will.

The wishes of the children in this case are of no account at all - not even mentioned or hinted at. The only wishes involved are those of the parents who do not want their daughters to be in proximity to boys while swimming, even if wearing burkinis, despite what Swiss law says must happen.
It was a response to her question: If you were really passionate about something and someone said something similar to you wouldn't that hurt you?

It was clearly a rhetorical device designed to appeal to your sense of empathy, it would seem her expectations of you were better than the reality of who you are.

literally crying rn

The picture you posted didn't show. What an insensitive thing to say, I'm actually shocked by the lack of empathy. Well I'm gonna give you the benefit of the doubt. Maybe it's just different with healthcare because the effect and consequences of our profession is so big (I mean it involves human life)
Reply 306
Original post by tazmaniac97
Besides she might be a better Pharmacist than her colleague, that you would rather get treated by.

As a Muslim myself, I can say from my experience that I am not treated like a human, just because I choose to wear a head scarf.

In my college, where it was majority Muslims, I made NO effort to make friends, yet I managed to make lots of friends, because of how much effort people made with me.

Now that I go to a university with 98% non-Muslims. I get stared at from top to bottom as if I'm a walking turd. Even though I make MUCH more effort to make friends in university, the non-muslims do not give me chance (e.g. being cold, giving short answers. I'll give you proof of texts if you do not believe me!).

My male friend who is also a Muslim, has un-british views and my views are MUCH more liberal and aligns more with the British norms compared to his. But people give him a chance just because he does not wear a religious attire.

Spoiler

For most people, you head scarf means that you don't want to interact with them. If you are annoyed by their attitude, remove your head scarf.

You can't have everything you want in life, you have to make concessions, or deal with the consequences.
Original post by Josb
For most people, you head scarf means that you don't want to interact with them. If you are annoyed by their attitude, remove your head scarf.

You can't have everything you want in life, you have to make concessions, or deal with the consequences.

It literally doesn't. I'm White so it's not even like I am claiming to be the victim, White people are by far the most unfriendly race and it's not even as if White people are all racist, in fact most people I know are rather PC, much more than me in fact, but a lot of perceptions on racial/religious issues come from the fact that for all their talk of tolerance, White act with a sneering elitism.
Ah, so everyone should be nice and empathetic like you?

Don't worry you don't need to be nice to me, I think I should lower my expectations of people. It's my fault don't worry
Reply 309
I wouldn't care myself in fact when I was a teenager I used to swim, but in this case it's the secular White atheists who are being illiberal in that they feel they have the right to force another person's children to engage in an activity against their will. I think they should know how to swim for the sake of their own safety, but it's complete hypocrisy to take this self-righteous view that you respect the freedom of the individual, apparently unlike Muslims, when you're forcing activities on them along with your own worldview.

I hated swimming at school, it was clearly against my will, but I still went to the lessons. I'm sure that every pupil hates at least one class at school and would like to be exempted.
I don't see why these girls should have had an exemption.

Freedom of the individual doesn't mean that you are above the rules.

Moreover, I do think that their parents forced their religion against the will of their daughters, who could not have freely chosen their religion at such young age.
It was clearly a rhetorical device designed to appeal to your sense of empathy, it would seem her expectations of you were better than the reality of who you are.

Thank you, you've restored my faith in humanity. I wish there were more people like you, you're a really good person :smile:
Reply 311
It literally doesn't. I'm White so it's not even like I am claiming to be the victim, White people are by far the most unfriendly race and it's not even as if White people are all racist, in fact most people I know are rather PC, much more than me in fact, but a lot of perceptions on racial/religious issues come from the fact that for all their talk of tolerance, White act with a sneering elitism.

Yeah, and Asian parents who prevent their children from marrying outside their race are very friendly towards other races.

I'm sick of this white hating bull.
Reply 312
Original post by tammie123
Thank you, you've restored my faith in humanity. I wish there were more people like you, you're a really good person :smile:

You don't need much to lose faith in humanity, and to have it restored.
Original post by Josb
You don't need much to lose faith in humanity, and to have it restored.

I didn't know you could mind read, how did you know what it was that made me lose my faith in humanity?!
Original post by Josb
Yeah, and Asian parents who prevent their children from marrying outside their race are very friendly towards other races.

I agree thats a huge issue which needs to be addressed. My generation do admit that this is an issue, we're not in denial about it so I think we'll be able to change this because the first step to resolving a problem is to admit that there is a problem.
Off topic a little, but I had you down as basically a neo-Nazi in denial (like most an-caps)...

What are you?

Funny guy.

I generally reject labels. My views are based on hyper-individualism and I consider modern Neo-Nazis to be disgusting degenerates (look at the EDL rallies ffs) and the actual Nazis I understand as racist collectivists rather than the logical outcome of an extreme right-wing worldview. I'm being ironic when I use the world degenerate btw.

Original post by Josb
I hated swimming at school, it was clearly against my will, but I still went to the lessons. I'm sure that every pupil hates at least one class at school and would like to be exempted.
I don't see why these girls should have had an exemption.

Freedom of the individual doesn't mean that you are above the rules.

Moreover, I do think that their parents forced their religion against the will of their daughters, who could not have freely chosen their religion at such young age.

Swimming is fun, but you should not have been forced to take part in that lesson and I would hope that your views evolve beyond the typical blue collar call of ''I did it, so other kids should do it to'', if your daddy beat you, would you take the same view? ''It never did me any harm''

Then the rules stink, they're not doing anyone any harm and whilst I would hope the parents do teach their children to swim, they should not be coerced into actions against their will, when they're clearly not hurting anyone in omission of those actions.

Original post by Josb

I've said before that Asian parents are far more racist than White parents as a general rule when it comes to marriage, so it's not as if I am saying it to deride White people, Anglo-Germanic culture is really introverted and many perceptions about White people are shaped by the general coldness we display. If you look back rather than being a little ***** about this, you'll see I've said that White people are generally not racist, but the coldness is where that perception comes from.

I appreciate it, they would not have the courage to say it to you in person.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 316
I didn't know you could mind read, how did you know what it was that made me lose my faith in humanity?!

Since your faith in humanity was simply restored by a post on TSR, I supposed that you had lost it just before.

I appreciate it, they would not have the courage to say it to you in person.

I agree, people are quite nice to me in person but reading comments like those scare me and makes me wonder what people think of me.
Original post by Josb
Since your faith in humanity was simply restored by a post on TSR, I supposed that you had lost it just before.

Sometimes a small act of kindness is all it takes to give you some hope :smile:

Youve completely missed the point. This is Switzerland. A liberal European non-muslim country (that stands against gender segregation which is liberal). They arent forcing them - its the rules (supported by the ECHR). Its the same as them having to go to a Maths class with boys. End of

If they dont like it, they should leave Switzerland and move to a country that promotes the very illiberal notion of gender segregation or one that will bow down to their demands.

We do respect freedom of the individual BUT not when it clashes against the long standing culture and how we do things.

Most other cultures do assimilate and dont demand that they get special treatment (the Chinese are most likely the best example of this) and guess what? They have never had a problem have they?

This is also why I say that Western citizens found who move abroad should do the same and assimilate to the society in which they have moved - not the other way around. Thats why I have no sympathy with British citizens who get lashings for alcohol in Saudi for example.

I even get angry at friends who refuse to speak any Spanish for example when they go to Spain. I tell them 'Youre in Spain - at least try and speak Spanish and stop expecting them to speak English - it isnt England'
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply