The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Good luck for tomorrow by the way everyone, I hope you all get in and enjoy Cambridge life!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NeverLucky
When you get pooled to Girton...

Lol if I get pooled to girton I'll smack talk anyone who smack talks about girton
Original post by Xiuchen
NatSci!! Best of luck for tomorrow!!!! :smile: :smile: :smile:

Good luck to you too! :biggrin:
Today was pretty sobering - certainly a feeling of sadness slightly overwhelming the joy over on "the other forum" and at DD's school. There seems to be an element of "crap shoot" about this process, but at least it will be over soon and, although this is a life-changing decision, it's not "make or break" in the long term. The halo effect is strong and intoxicating, but a sense of perspective comes in handy at times like these - may all decisions be for the best!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by india_beee
I was there Sunday-Tuesday I must've seen you!?? And yeah I went to the porters lodge at 1am in my pjs one night and he came to my room to remove a giant spider hahaha! They were really nice! And yeah they were really smart that's why I'm so scared!! Good luck to you too!!

That's so sweet of them!!!! Honestly if there was a spider in my room I would have probably cried and done the exact same thing, bless you! The one with the Polish sounding surname was obsessed with my surname because it's Cambridge... how ironic when Blue Cambridge gets rejected from Cambridge... (the name was NOT intentional!). Aww now I'm hoping you get in!!!!!
Original post by thewinelake
Today was pretty sobering - certainly a feeling of sadness slightly overwhelming to joy over on "the other forum" and at DD's school. There seems to be an element of "crap shoot" about this process, but at least it will be over soon and, although this is a life-changing decision, it's not "make or break" in the long term. The halo effect is strong and intoxicating, but a sense of perspective comes in handy at times like these - may all decisions be for the best!

Certainly an element of sadness in the Ox Thread. Good luck tomorrow! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CutieTootsie
Lol if I get pooled to girton I'll smack talk anyone who smack talks about girton

You might need to start a war against Memebridge :lol:
Original post by liziepie
What, you didn't KNO(3)?

Spoiler

*sigh* here we go again...
Whitesnake--HereIGoAgain.PNG
Please tell me Clare definitely sends emails??? Can't cope if I have to wait until after college to open a letter
your avatar is a representation of my mood rn, fluctuating as wildly as a sine wave....

Oh god me too. One minute I'll be ecstatic that the waiting will be over and I'll know soon where I'm going to university and I'll be so happy with the idea of either going to Cambridge or my second choice. The next I'll be in the pits of despair thinking about the negative implications of my inevitable rejection. (Currently though I'm in the "meh, it will be what it will be" mood)
Does anyone else think it's a little harsh that I woke up this morning having been dreaming about it and convinced that it was Friday and I had an offer?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by vincrows
Not being inefficient or keeping tradition.
That's the best way to avoid human error.

You must love how comfortable gowns are :wink:
Original post by blue2337
That's so sweet of them!!!! Honestly if there was a spider in my room I would have probably cried and done the exact same thing, bless you! The one with the Polish sounding surname was obsessed with my surname because it's Cambridge... how ironic when Blue Cambridge gets rejected from Cambridge... (the name was NOT intentional!). Aww now I'm hoping you get in!!!!!

I'm sure you won't get rejected!! That is actually so cool that it's your surname though surely they should give you an unconditional just because of that??? Hahaha but seriously I'm sure you'll be fine I think everyone's doubting themselves now!!
I shall try not to rant for ages. But last year, I believe on this very day, I was in the very same position as you lot - sitting at home, wondering what would happen the next day, knowing that the decision had been made ages ago, and not sure what to think.

If memory serves I dealt with this my writing a long post on here, trying to put across my feelings, my knowledge that ultimately I would be fine whatever happened and the dissonance of being unable to really accept it. I knew my interviews had not been great, but at this point I had analysed each second of it in slow-mo replay like Match of the Day - there was not much left to think about.

Ultimately, I did get an offer, and indeed into Cambridge itself. And I'm not going to lie, it is a great place to be. But it is not the be-all and end-all. It's so deeply cliche but also so deeply true that Britain is chock-full of world-class universities, and I'm so sure, so utterly sure, that whatever happens you will all do just fine.

Getting to this stage is really no mean feat - be proud of yourselves. And remember that whatever happens, you are a legend at your subject for even trying.

Good luck :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HolyRomanEmpire
Is anyone waiting until you get home from school to open or are you all just going to open the email in school? One of my friends opened his rejection email from Oxford in front of the class and it was pretty awkward, and depressing...

Definitely waiting until I get home, mainly because I'm getting a letter lol. Unless I get pooled to an emailing college :s-smilie:

Original post by Gold-Confetti
Thank you! Just arrived at Selwyn, nice to be greeted by a porter who's spent time in my area near to where I live, it's comforting! I feel hideously underdressed though, walked into he porters lodge and saw a bunch of guys wearing black bow ties 😳🙈

Oh the Selwyn porters are lovely! I stayed overnight before my interview and they were so friendly and welcoming. :smile:

Original post by Xiuchen
Wow you do rowing??!! Which rowing club are you in?

Real life rower over here :awesome:

so what's everyone doing to distract themselves currently? :afraid:

I looked up Sheffield and persuaded myself it's a good backup, then I went to rowing and did some heavy weights. But now... Idk :confused:

Original post by Abstract_Prism
This thread moves so fast

Tell me about it, I only just caught up! Hence so many quotes in a post haha
Might be a stupid question but... I've heard that our head of sixth forms find out our application outcome before we do?!

Is it true?
Original post by Steliata
Definitely waiting until I get home, mainly because I'm getting a letter lol. Unless I get pooled to an emailing college :s-smilie:

Oh the Selwyn porters are lovely! I stayed overnight before my interview and they were so friendly and welcoming. :smile:

Real life rower over here :awesome:

I looked up Sheffield and persuaded myself it's a good backup, then I went to rowing and did some heavy weights. But now... Idk :confused:

Tell me about it, I only just caught up! Hence so many quotes in a post haha

Dayum girl!! Which rowing club?? Slayyy!! And you're applying for Chinese right?? (I'm British Chinese, and Mandarin is my first lang :smile: :smile: ) Good luck!!
Yeah, just remember Cambridge isn't the only university in the world and you'll be fine and thrive wherever you go!
Original post by Iloveowls16
Might be a stupid question but... I've heard that our head of sixth forms find out our application outcome before we do?!

Is it true?

No. At least I don't think so, because my school asked us to inform them about Oxbridge decisions.
Original post by Xiuchen
Dayum girl!! Which rowing club?? Slayyy!! And you're applying for Chinese right?? (I'm British Chinese, and Mandarin is my first lang :smile: :smile: ) Good luck!!

Haha thanks, I row for Grosvenor Rowing Club in Chester :biggrin: and no, I'm applying for Japanese but I do Chinese in school atm :smile:

Latest