The Student Room Group

British Mensa

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LisaNikita
Online tests add about 30+ points to your IQ, I wouldn't say they are reliable at all.

Depends on the test. Some are in the right ball-park - most will wildly overestimate for people within two standard deviations.

Original post by ANM775
is the 30 min test at this link around the same level of difficulty to the mensa test?

http://geniustests.com/

I took it yesterday and it said I scored in the 98th percentile with a score of 37 ...but I am suspicious if the test is actually around the same difficulty as the true mensa test

if you have 30 mins spare please take the test and post your score.

Sure, give me ten minutes.
Original post by ANM775
is the 30 min test at this link around the same level of difficulty to the mensa test?

I took it yesterday and it said I scored in the 98th percentile with a score of 37 ...but I am suspicious if the test is actually around the same difficulty as the true mensa test

Hey,

Most of this isn't very much like an IQ test at all. There were some fairly challenging anagrams and some maths problems that required a little knowledge of cubes and the like, but that's about it.

I rushed through it under ten minutes and am 99th Percentile (which I am, but this test will be trivial for most people who are. Perhaps I'd have scored 100th percentile with a couple more minutes :lol:).

This is more like what you might expect, have a go if you like: http://www.iqtest.dk/main.swf

It is important not to worry about your IQ. It isn't going to make any meaningful difference to your life :nope:
You don't usually pay for it. I have Autism so I'm kind of sponsored, it depends on how well you do. Most people join MENSA for life

i jacked it in after a month :teehee:
Original post by the bear
i jacked it in after a month :teehee:

Commitment problems :girl:
Original post by ByronicHero
Commitment problems :girl:

#beariseasilybored
Original post by the bear
#beariseasilybored

You just need to find the right circlejerk to settle down with, that's all.
Was your score adjusted for your age since you're in Year 10?
Reply 47
Hey,

Most of this isn't very much like an IQ test at all. There were some fairly challenging anagrams and some maths problems that required a little knowledge of cubes and the like, but that's about it.

I rushed through it under ten minutes and am 99th Percentile (which I am, but this test will be trivial for most people who are. Perhaps I'd have scored 100th percentile with a couple more minutes :lol:).

This is more like what you might expect, have a go if you like: http://www.iqtest.dk/main.swf

It is important not to worry about your IQ. It isn't going to make any meaningful difference to your life :nope:

thanks for the feedback, I might try take a look at that IQ test tomorrow when I have some spare time.

I do notice that with most of the online IQ tests, anyone who takes them seems to always get 120+ ...so that's what makes me doubt the legitimacy of them.
How do you know if somebody's a member of Mensa?

Spoiler

Original post by Orbital Rising
How do you know if somebody's a member of Mensa?

Spoiler

Insert vegan, vegetarian, crossfitter etc. :tongue:

Original post by ANM775
thanks for the feedback, I might try take a look at that IQ test tomorrow when I have some spare time.

I do notice that with most of the online IQ tests, anyone who takes them seems to always get 120+ ...so that's what makes me doubt the legitimacy of them.

The vast majority overestimate for people within two standard deviations. Some will appear correct for those with high IQs because they are capped at a realistic limit. I have, however, taken some which suggested my IQ was over 180. I'm rather glad it certainly isn't! :tongue:
Reply 50
Original post by Abstract_Prism
Was your score adjusted for your age since you're in Year 10?

Yes they put it in a percentage based on

Handedness : Left
Other : Myopia

And usually they look for Asperger's or something like that, however we do have members who aren't autistic.
Reply 51
I got 41 in that 30 minute test then I did that 15 minute one and got 24 in 94th percentile
The questions are different to the actual Mensa though
I got 41 in that 30 minute test then I did that 15 minute one and got 24 in 94th percentile
The questions are different to the actual Mensa though

Just took the 15 minute as one in just over 3 minutes and scored 50 / 99th percentile. All very simple.

You are correct, though, that neither is not very much like any of the main IQ tests. Some people will find this test far harder though, as it isn't culture fair and certainly has some educational biases.
Reply 53
how come you scored higher is there one answer or is it tested on time? real tests are not time tested
Yes they put it in a percentage based on

Handedness : Left
Other : Myopia

And usually they look for Asperger's or something like that, however we do have members who aren't autistic.

Do you know what score you would have got had it not been weighted?
Reply 55
136... Its just that they use all your info to put it into a percentage which can be used to compare other members regardless of age gender handedness etc
the higher your percentage the better
mine is a 55% regardless of age gender or handedness etc
best way i could explain it
how come you scored higher is there one answer or is it tested on time? real tests are not time tested

I'd imagine I scored higher because I answered more questions correctly. It may seem to you that you answered them all correctly, but obviously that isn't necessarily the case. I am, however, far older than you and have had years to become good at word games and the like so I should outperform you comfortably in a test like this. It's nothing to worry about.

According to the website you do not lose any marks for exceding the time limit, which suggests very strongly that your score is not predicated on your speed in any way - though I can't be 100% certain without looking through the code, which I cba to do.

Have a go at this one: http://www.iqtest.dk/main.swf

In my experience people who don't cheat tend to get an IQ that is fairly accurate, or at least moreso than other options.

It is also important to never let your IQ become a meaningful part off your identity because, frankly, it is meaningless.
Reply 57
I'd imagine I scored higher because I answered more questions correctly. It may seem to you that you answered them all correctly, but obviously that isn't necessarily the case. I am, however, far older than you and have had years to become good at word games and the like so I should outperform you comfortably in a test like this. It's nothing to worry about.

According to the website you do not lose any marks for exceding the time limit, which suggests very strongly that your score is not predicated on your speed in any way - though I can't be 100% certain without looking through the code, which I cba to do.

Have a go at this one: http://www.iqtest.dk/main.swf

In my experience people who don't cheat tend to get an IQ that is fairly accurate, or at least moreso than other options.

It is also important to never let your IQ become a meaningful part off your identity because, frankly, it is meaningless.

How can you cheat in an IQ test
😂😂😂
How can you cheat in an IQ test
😂😂😂

If it is online you can google the answers. Even non verbal reasoning questions by definition have a defined answer. If some part of this is still unclear to you, let me know and I will see if I can explain it more simply.
Original post by ANM775

98th percentile on 30 minute test (silly mistake)
was going to do the 15 minute test but the questions are taken from the same pool

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending