The Student Room Group

I've been offered admission, but I can't afford it.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mr. Petrol Head
Yes, if someone does originate from commonwealth countries, I guess then fees policies are more flexible for them.

Lol no they don't. I'm from Pakistan which is Commonwealth but there is no advantage we get in terms of lower fees which makes no sense but i suppose the universities want to have a very very simple fee structure.
Could you not try contacting the uni and ask for a bursary or any other sort of financial assistance?
Original post by Milkbottle64
Could you not try contacting the uni and ask for a bursary or any other sort of financial assistance?

they dont care. they have a set system and if u call/email them they will just tell you to look at the uni website and tell you how you can apply to these. they dont give anything other than what is offered on their site, unless im missing something lol.
Reply 23
Sorry to say but I doubt you'll get funding- the reason they have internationals a lot of the time is bc they pay a lot of money which benefits the university.

However I know that oxbridge do give funding to U.K. Pupils who are disadvantaged so maybe the actual college could help you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by fandom-queen
I'm an international student from india too!

I want to study physics for 4 years in UoStAndrews but i can't afford it

It's coming to about 105000 GBP. (approx Rs. 17 lakhs a year, if you know what I mean, excluding travel, which'll add a few extra Rs. 100000, here and there)

I simply can't afford it. My father works a pretty decent job and we live comfortably, so I don't even know if we're eligible for it, but there's no way my father can afford it, since he has to save for his own old age, health etc. Having to pay my fees would mean them living on bare minimum and I couldn't do that.

Hey buddy, I know EXACTLY what you're going through. It just hurts even asking them to consider giving that kind of money.

Where/which high school are you from?
Reply 25
Original post by azizadil1998
they dont care. they have a set system and if u call/email them they will just tell you to look at the uni website and tell you how you can apply to these. they dont give anything other than what is offered on their site, unless im missing something lol.

No I think you're right. Much as I'd like to plead and beg them, I doubt that they're going to help me very much.
Original post by CurryHead
No I think you're right. Much as I'd like to plead and beg them, I doubt that they're going to help me very much.

I did the same (not beg but asked them very very nicely and explained my situation) but I don't think they are really allowed to do anything if they even wanted to just because of the University policy so yeah that súcks.
Lol no they don't. I'm from Pakistan which is Commonwealth but there is no advantage we get in terms of lower fees which makes no sense but i suppose the universities want to have a very very simple fee structure.

I am afraid but both Pakistan and India are not in commonwealth countries list. Commonwealth countries are the one where Queen Elizabeth is still a Queen to this date. Greater India was a commonwealth country but ince they got independent, they are no more :frown:

Psst! Correction, as @CurryHead said. SORRY :redface:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 28
I did the same (not beg but asked them very very nicely and explained my situation) but I don't think they are really allowed to do anything if they even wanted to just because of the University policy so yeah that súcks.

Did they respond with anything? Are you currently pursuing higher ed in the UK?
Reply 29
Hahahha I like the way you think, but I'm a little less ballsy than that. Seriously though, do you think it's that worth it?
Reply 30
Original post by Mr. Petrol Head
I am afraid but both Pakistan and India are not in commonwealth countries list. Commonwealth countries are the one where Queen Elizabeth is still a Queen to this date. Greater India was a commonwealth country but ince they got independent, they are no more :frown:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Member_states_of_the_Commonwealth_of_Nations

India and Pak are still commonwealth countries
Original post by LisaNikita
This is horrible do they actually expect people to pay that?

Rich snobs like ploticians are the only ones who can afford to send their kids there.
No-one else can.
It's ********!
Why did you apply if you can't afford it? The fees are stated on their website.
Reply 33
Original post by Ishax
Why did you apply if you can't afford it? The fees are stated on their website.

I guess I didn't really think it through completely. Also, I thought "what's the harm", right? I mean worst case, I get rejected, I wouldn't fret as much.

I am still not sure, but I just looked up at commonwealth website where both India and Pakistan are members of commonwealth. I am amazed, yay! :biggrin:
Just out of interest why did you apply if you knew the fees were so outrageous? Just to see if you could get in? Were you hoping to gain a scholarship. Is it not worth applying again for next year and try to get a scholarship?

I'm a uk student and was offered a place to do medicine but I had to turn it down due to the cost, it's gutting.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I guess I didn't really think it through completely. Also, I thought "what's the harm", right? I mean worst case, I get rejected, I wouldn't fret as much.

The main thing you need to think is about finance because it's obvious you have really good grades hence why you applied to Oxford. Unfortunately, in this situation there was no point as you haven't got the funding.

Can't your parents help you by getting you here to the UK and pay the fees? It's 4 years struggle but after that you can repay them back. Oxford degree will take you places!

You can also find a job in the UK to!!
Original post by KingLhasaApso
Just out of interest why did you apply if you knew the fees were so outrageous? Just to see if you could get in? Were you hoping to gain a scholarship. Is it not worth applying again for next year and try to get a scholarship?

I'm a uk student and was offered a place to do medicine but I had to turn it down due to the cost, it's gutting.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you're a UK student, you should get student finance?
Reply 38
Original post by Ishax
The main thing you need to think is about finance because it's obvious you have really good grades hence why you applied to Oxford. Unfortunately, in this situation there was no point as you haven't got the funding.

Can't your parents help you by getting you here to the UK and pay the fees? It's 4 years struggle but after that you can repay them back. Oxford degree will take you places!

You can also find a job in the UK to!!

If they could pay the fees, this post wouldn't exist...
Yes I already had a degree so I was entitled to anything until I got into a certain year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending