The Student Room Group

The 2017 Oxford Decisions Discussion Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by trabajador
Does anyone know if there will be an offer holders facebook group?

There is, just make sure you find the official one!
Subject: PPE
College: Magdalen
Outcome: Rejection
How did you find out?: Letter
How do you feel? Surprised, and unsure about where I go from here. Not feeling as bad as I thought I would but certainly feeling a little up in the air.
Original post by maroumarou
Subject: English
College: balliol
Offer: condicional 3As
How did you find out: email
How do you feel: I'm not sure if I'm going to put it as my first option yet, so I'm pleased but a bit stressed/ unsure at the moment

Do it! You won't regret it. Oxford's a wonderful place to study, and it's full of fantastic people. If you've gotten an offer, it's partly because the tutors felt you'd be well-suited to coming here, and would thrive with Oxford's style of teaching. Academically, very few places globally can compete, and its history and atmosphere are unique. Balliol's a lovely college, too!
Original post by Han_024
Subject: History
College: Lincoln
Outcome: Offer (conditional- AAA)
How did you find out? (Email/Letter/Owl): Letter
How do you feel?: Absolutely thrilled. I was not expecting it whatsoever; and it is even better because I'm the first person in my family to go to university! I'm still in shock, to be honest.

(I got 9A*s and 2As at GCSE, plus an A in iGCSE Further Mathematics)

Congratulations! You're going to be doing the best subject at the best college, with wonderful tutors! Did you originally apply to Lincoln?
Subject: Computer Science and Philosophy
College: Hertford College
Outcome: Conditional Offer (A*AA with A* in Mathematics)
How did you find out?: email, yesterday morning
How do you feel?: like I'm in heaven :biggrin:
Original post by StationToStation
Subject: Medicine
College: Merton
Outcome: rejection
How did you find out? (Email/Letter/Owl): email
How do you feel?: Like absolute crap tbh. I didn't even realize how much I'd built my identity around getting in to Oxford. It was the thing that made me push myself beyond my limits and the thing I daydreamed about when things got hard. I've never felt more at home anywhere and I've never wanted anything more. I worked so hard and in my opinion my application was competitive and I had a real chance of getting in but... Now it's all just suddenly blown apart.

Original post by auburnstar
Jesus Christ, you too? I feel this in my soul. A part of me knows that it's grades (how many applicants don't have GCSEs and only AABB at AS??) so luckily it's something I can work towards (getting A*A*A*A, as my predicted was A*A*AA and was still rejected). But still, it hurts a lot.

My mom says '**** em, **** em' and whilst I agree with her boldness/bravado, it's much harder when you know how hard you've worked and how far you've come.

I suppose the only condolences for us is that at least being rejected now we know that we weren't the most appropriate/best fit for the courses we applied to. And maybe we will be happier somewhere else, and more successful. Much better than being given an offer and not meeting it or dropping out (as a number do each year).

[I keep looking at the MSt requirements.......I should stop doing that]

Well considering 26 out of 34 Universities which have Medicine have employment prospects of greater than 95 and there's a shortage of doctors here and just about everywhere else I'm sure you'll be fine!
Original post by azizadil1998
Well considering 26 out of 34 Universities which have Medicine have employment prospects of greater than 95 and there's a shortage of doctors here and just about everywhere else I'm sure you'll be fine!

Tbf it's not uncommon for medics to be rejected from every university they apply to considering how competitive it is. Probably not much consolation, but I (assume) that you are in a good position!
Tbf it's not uncommon for medics to be rejected from every university they apply to considering how competitive it is. Probably not much consolation, but I (assume) that you are in a good position!

I don't think these two have been rejected from every Uni they've applied to :P I was just saying that even without going to Oxford, they can go to a great uni which they enjoy and still have really good employment opportunities for them :smile:
I don't think these two have been rejected from every Uni they've applied to :P I was just saying that even without going to Oxford, they can go to a great uni which they enjoy and still have really good employment opportunities for them :smile:

No yea absolutely! I was just saying that there are a fair amount of medics who are forced to take a gap year because of not getting offers seeing as it's so competitive. :tongue:
No yea absolutely! I was just saying that there are a fair amount of medics who are forced to take a gap year because of not getting offers seeing as it's so competitive. :tongue:

yeahh for sure. The head boy of my sixth form who is predicted A*A*A* in Maths, FM, and Physics with great EC's and got rejected from Cambridge for Physics but accepted into Manchester which has higher entry requirements LOL :biggrin: He isn't even disappointing as Cambridge may have a great name but you can definitely go to uni's which may be better for that specific course and you may enjoy more. The TSR police won't get me for posting about cambridge on the oxford threat will they?:wink:
Reply 270
Subject: Law (Jurisprudence)
College: Queen's
Outcome: Conditional Offer (3 As)
How did you find out? Letter
How do you feel? I'm over the moon and so utterly surprised and relieved. Didn't expect this at all!
Jesus Christ, you too? I feel this in my soul. A part of me knows that it's grades (how many applicants don't have GCSEs and only AABB at AS??) so luckily it's something I can work towards (getting A*A*A*A, as my predicted was A*A*AA and was still rejected). But still, it hurts a lot.

My mom says '**** em, **** em' and whilst I agree with her boldness/bravado, it's much harder when you know how hard you've worked and how far you've come.

I suppose the only condolences for us is that at least being rejected now we know that we weren't the most appropriate/best fit for the courses we applied to. And maybe we will be happier somewhere else, and more successful. Much better than being given an offer and not meeting it or dropping out (as a number do each year).

[I keep looking at the MSt requirements.......I should stop doing that]

Ah oh no :frown: are you thinking of reapplying if you get the grades?

I don't even know what it was for me. In my A2 equivalent exams I got 7777777 while they want 7766. My admissions test score put me in the top 5 people or so in the 1500 that applied. Everyone who read my personal statement said that it was really well-written and mature etc. I had four Oxbridge-style mocks and two of them said I had almost nothing to improve on and two of them said I was good. I'm genuinely really passionate about my subject. Like... was everyone else absolutely perfect? Did I mess up my interviews that bad without noticing it myself?

Yeah my mum got a bit angry at Oxford too lol. Sometimes I agree and sometimes I feel like defending them. Feeling pissed doesn't help with the pain of not having an offer though.

Yep you might be right. Maybe we just dodged a bullet, maybe Oxford just wasn't for us after all.

Yeah you're right, I know that if I manage to get in somewhere then I don't need to worry about my future too much. I just really really love Oxford so getting rejected hurts. I know it'll get better though. :smile:
Subject: Materials Science
College: Corpus Christi
Outcome: Unconditional offer
How did you find out? Letter
How do you feel?: Darn good!

I applied for a 2016 entry to study physics at Cambridge, and I was rejected without interview (or entrance test) because my AS grades were a bit lower than I had been expecting, so I decided to take a gap year and give it a second shot with Oxford. It seemed like quite a gamble at the time, given that I had received a perfectly decent offer from St Andrews and was keen to start uni sooner rather than later, but I'm so glad it payed off!
For anyone else who has been rejected first-time-round and isn't opposed to the idea of taking a gap year, I recommend that you do likewise.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by fablereader
Subject: Classics
College: Merton
Outcome: Rejection
How did you find out?: Email yesterday
How do you feel? Like the world was no longer on sure footing. Oxford was the ultimate goal, and I'm not sure what to do with a rejection. And, when I tried to read soon after, the page felt like a wall, which has never happened to me and was honestly frightening. Things are a little better now, but the mood is still gloom.

:frown: I feel this so much. I tried to continue reading a book I was so excited about and I just couldn't. I really hope this feeling goes away soon
Original post by StationToStation
:frown: I feel this so much. I tried to continue reading a book I was so excited about and I just couldn't. I really hope this feeling goes away soon

It's one of the worst things that's ever happened to me.

Edit: This applies to both being rejected and not being able to read, even for a moment.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by maroumarou
Subject: English
College: balliol
Offer: condicional 3As
How did you find out: email
How do you feel: I'm not sure if I'm going to put it as my first option yet, so I'm pleased but a bit stressed/ unsure at the moment

I'm sorry to hear that. Perhaps reject it, take a gap year, and go to Cambridge.
Subject: Russian and German
College: UNIV
Outcome: Uncoditional offer
How did you find out: Letter
How do you feel: Tired due to lack of sleep!
an atheist walks into jesus college.... and comes out with an offer!!

subject: english language & literature
college: jesus
outcome: conditional offer
how did you find out?: through email after a whole day of nervous waiting-- only for the email to arrive at 11pm!
how do you feel?: i feel like??? did they send this to the right person??? I keep thinking I'm going to wake up and it's all just a dream?? now the hard part is here... to do well on my IB exams!
Original post by tchaikovskyed
an atheist walks into jesus college.... and comes out with an offer!!

subject: english language & literature
college: jesus
outcome: conditional offer
how did you find out?: through email after a whole day of nervous waiting-- only for the email to arrive at 11pm!
how do you feel?: i feel like??? did they send this to the right person??? I keep thinking I'm going to wake up and it's all just a dream?? now the hard part is here... to do well on my IB exams!

Oh you got an offer???!! Congratulations I'm so happy for you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending