The Student Room Group

I've been offered admission, but I can't afford it.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
That's... Smart? I think?

P.S. By MBiochem, you mean the four year course only right?
Original post by CurryHead
Did they respond with anything? Are you currently pursuing higher ed in the UK?

No they just told me to have a look at their bursaries list, some uni's have better ones than others e.g. Surrey which I have an offer from say if i get A*AA (their offer is AAA) I can get £1000/2000 a year bursary for all 3 years which is quite good (but I am not going with Surrey). And yeah I am definitely going to uni in UK, I live here and have done for 4 years but originally from Pakistan so i dont have a passport yet.

Original post by Mr. Petrol Head
I am afraid but both Pakistan and India are not in commonwealth countries list. Commonwealth countries are the one where Queen Elizabeth is still a Queen to this date. Greater India was a commonwealth country but ince they got independent, they are no more :frown:

Psst! Correction, as @CurryHead said. SORRY :redface:

Ohh yeah sorry ahah thanks for the correction
If they could pay the fees, this post wouldn't exist...

Shouldn't have applied in the first place to be honest.
Reply 43
Original post by azizadil1998
No they just told me to have a look at their bursaries list, some uni's have better ones than others e.g. Surrey which I have an offer from say if i get A*AA (their offer is AAA) I can get £1000/2000 a year bursary for all 3 years which is quite good (but I am not going with Surrey). And yeah I am definitely going to uni in UK, I live here and have done for 4 years but originally from Pakistan so i dont have a passport yet.

Ohh yeah sorry ahah thanks for the correction

Oh, OK best of luck!!
Original post by KingLhasaApso
Yes I already had a degree so I was entitled to anything until I got into a certain year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh okay
Reply 45
Original post by Ishax
Shouldn't have applied in the first place to be honest.

Thanks, really helps morale right now.
You don't understand. No one is offering her money. She says she will need this money, to even start... Are you going to write her the cheque?
Reply 47
Original post by john2054
You don't understand. No one is offering her money. She says she will need this money, to even start... Are you going to write her the cheque?

That is true, though.

P.S. I'm a guy
Reply 48
Yeah I suppose that would've been ideal. The offer is for the four year course, so that's good.
So are Oxford fees more expensive than other unis? Couldn't you go to another UK university? If it's research you want to do, get a PhD and then you'll be fine; doesn't matter where the PhD is from, just get one

Posted from TSR Mobile
That is true, though.

P.S. I'm a guy

You do realise that India has a perfectly good university and schooling system, right?
Reply 51
You do realise that India has a perfectly good university and schooling system, right?

A) It's super competitive
B) Opportunities after Uni are limited, especially if I want to pursue pure research
C) It's not that great tbh
Reply 52
Original post by Potato456
So are Oxford fees more expensive than other unis? Couldn't you go to another UK university? If it's research you want to do, get a PhD and then you'll be fine; doesn't matter where the PhD is from, just get one

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got into Kings, UCL, Imperial, Edinburgh, but Oxford is at the top of the list.
To get a PhD, I'm gonna have to go through BSc and MSc first.
A) It's super competitive
B) Opportunities after Uni are limited, especially if I want to pursue pure research
C) It's not that great tbh

Oxford is also super competitive. It is literally one of the best in the UK if not the world.

I know somebody who got a degree in India, and she agrees with me, that they work to a much higher standard over there. Even with the students scrubbing the halls, before and after class.

People really consider the uk a holy grail, with regards to work and benefits and education. But if people would only stay at home, and invest in their own country and infrastructure, then maybe they could strengthen their own countries, rather than all coming here?!?
Reply 54
Oxford is also super competitive. It is literally one of the best in the UK if not the world.

I know somebody who got a degree in India, and she agrees with me, that they work to a much higher standard over there. Even with the students scrubbing the halls, before and after class.

People really consider the uk a holy grail, with regards to work and benefits and education. But if people would only stay at home, and invest in their own country and infrastructure, then maybe they could strengthen their own countries, rather than all coming here?!?

Lemme guess, "Dang immigrants, taking our jobs!!" Cool the nationalistic fervour Gramps.

Look, I've seen first hand the kind of difference between an education in the UK and an education in India. The fact is, I've got into Oxford, and the competitive part is over. You haven't seen the kind of mad rush the kids here go through to get into a decent uni.
This doesn't mean I'm not applying in India. I know better than to put my eggs in one basket.
Hey buddy, I know EXACTLY what you're going through. It just hurts even asking them to consider giving that kind of money.

Where/which high school are you from?

I'm from the South. My dad's an IIM professor (you may of heard of it). We live well, but we're not rich. As you probably know, doing A-levels, things like JEE and NEET are pretty much out of the question, since it's all CBSE/ISC/State based.

I cannot afford the good universities, yet, at the same time, if I don't go to a good university, what's the point of studying in the uk.
I'm stuck in a massive rut.
Lemme guess, "Dang immigrants, taking our jobs!!" Cool the nationalistic fervour Gramps.

Look, I've seen first hand the kind of difference between an education in the UK and an education in India. The fact is, I've got into Oxford, and the competitive part is over. You haven't seen the kind of mad rush the kids here go through to get into a decent uni.
This doesn't mean I'm not applying in India. I know better than to put my eggs in one basket.

lol
I got into Kings, UCL, Imperial, Edinburgh, but Oxford is at the top of the list.
To get a PhD, I'm gonna have to go through BSc and MSc first.

IT'S SO FRUSTRATING, that PhD and Masters has so much funding, but the bachelors degree scholarships are practically barren.

The exchange rate for GBP is the literal personification of death.

Time to sell a kidney.
Reply 58
Original post by fandom-queen
I'm from the South. My dad's an IIM professor (you may of heard of it). We live well, but we're not rich. As you probably know, doing A-levels, things like JEE and NEET are pretty much out of the question, since it's all CBSE/ISC/State based.

I cannot afford the good universities, yet, at the same time, if I don't go to a good university, what's the point of studying in the uk.
I'm stuck in a massive rut.

I relate so much. It's such a painful cycle.
Reply 59
Original post by fandom-queen

Time to sell a kidney.

Lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending