The Student Room Group

High Level Photography courses???

I'm really unable to find a photography course with really high entry requirements? Doing a foundation art and design course (access to HE diploma) the hardest I can find is not close to what I think is achievable? Does this mean a different course should be picked or?? The highest I can find is 112 UCAS points which I got at A level before I even started this foundation course, and for the course I think mostly distinction is possible but nowhere asks for more than some merit?????
Original post by ComputerMaths97
I'm really unable to find a photography course with really high entry requirements? Doing a foundation art and design course (access to HE diploma) the hardest I can find is not close to what I think is achievable? Does this mean a different course should be picked or?? The highest I can find is 112 UCAS points which I got at A level before I even started this foundation course, and for the course I think mostly distinction is possible but nowhere asks for more than some merit?????

You're doing a degree in Computer Science at a "prestigious" university https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4495454

Why are you pretending to do a Foundation Diploma in Art & Design (note FAD courses are not Access courses).

Photography degree entry is based more on portfolio and talent than on grades. GSA is probably the most demanding in terms of grades asking for ABB (and with only 16% of applicants getting an offer - lower than the offer rates for both oxford and cambridge and for most medicine courses).
Original post by PQ
You're doing a degree in Computer Science at a "prestigious" university https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4495454

Why are you pretending to do a Foundation Diploma in Art & Design (note FAD courses are not Access courses).

Photography degree entry is based more on portfolio and talent than on grades. GSA is probably the most demanding in terms of grades asking for ABB (and with only 16% of applicants getting an offer - lower than the offer rates for both oxford and cambridge and for most medicine courses).

I never said I'm studying that. I'm trying to help my girlfriend pick a course, sorry, thought it was better to word as "I" than "she" as that sounds a bit weird.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ComputerMaths97
I never said I'm studying that. I'm trying to help my girlfriend pick a course, sorry, thought it was better to word as "I" than "she" as that sounds a bit weird.

As I say - photography courses aren't judging based on grades - entry criteria isn't a proxy for "quality" in creative courses in the same way it is generally used for academic courses. Things like facilities, course links to industry, course content (is she looking for a fine art style photography course or more commercial/fashion photography).

Your girlfriend's portfolio will have much more impact on her chances of an offer.

Quick Reply

Latest