The Student Room Group

Uk Has Less Progressive Laws Than Morocco After It Bans The Burqa

Adding to a list that includes Malaysia and Tunisia. Yet here we are, tolerating women in this country are being put in bags. We can pat ourselves on the back all we like for showing tolerance to intolerance, but women in this country are suffering.

Let's be clear, the burqa is not Islamic, let alone cultural to Muslim majority countries. So let's not cowardly hide behind the moral inconsistencies of multi-culturalism and have a truly progressive multi-ethnic society.

http://thesatedire.com/features/islamophobe-of-the-week/islamophobe-of-the-week-morocco/

Scroll to see replies

What are you talking about? The Burqa is a traditional British garment.

If you don't like British culture then feel free to go elsewhere.
Original post by Damien96
Adding to a list that includes Malaysia and Tunisia. Yet here we are, tolerating women in this country are being put in bags. We can pat ourselves on the back all we like for showing tolerance to intolerance, but women in this country are suffering.

Let's be clear, the burqa is not Islamic, let alone cultural to Muslim majority countries. So let's not cowardly hide behind the moral inconsistencies of multi-culturalism and have a truly progressive multi-ethnic society.

http://thesatedire.com/features/islamophobe-of-the-week/islamophobe-of-the-week-morocco/

As a Muslim girl I disagree with the burqa and so does my family. Not sure what you are getting at though
No garment should be banned in public
Reply 4
Original post by gabriellakhan
As a Muslim girl I disagree with the burqa and so does my family. Not sure what you are getting at though

The main point being the left needs to stand up for liberal principles. The side issue being that covering the face in public should be illegal, or at the very least socially unacceptable. I am fully aware most Muslims do not like or wear the burqa, hence the link.
Reply 5
Original post by Zargabaath

Does your libertarian stance on clothing extend to the Swastika?
Original post by Zargabaath

How about a t-shirt with one of these messages?

All gays should be castrated!

Kill the blacks!

Shoot Jeremy Corbyn now!

Deport all Moslems!

Fry a lesbian!

Hitler was right! Gas the Jews!
I wouldn't try to use a Niqaab as a bag, it won't end well for your stuff.
Reply 8
Original post by WBZ144
I wouldn't try to use a Niqaab as a bag, it won't end well for your stuff.

I'll do anything to avoid the 5p supermarket bag charge.
I don't see banning the burqa as progressive to be honest I don't care if women choose to wear one or not. I visited Saudi on a business trip with my dad once and actually enjoyed wearing it because people didn't look at me
Reply 10
Original post by epsilondelta
I don't see banning the burqa as progressive to be honest I don't care if women choose to wear one or not. I visited Saudi on a business trip with my dad once and actually enjoyed wearing it because people didn't look at me

Invoking Saudi Arabia to express freedom of choice over the burqa might not be the best tactic.
Reply 11
Not a challenging one, a rather simple and transparent one.

Judging a symbol by its death toll isn't the point, but well done for peacocking over mass murder stats on a question about the burqa.

WTF are you on about? Women should be allowed to wear what they want unless there are good reasons to temporaily restrict this. Airport security, hospitals, in court etc.

Why do you feel so threatened?
Invoking Saudi Arabia to express freedom of choice over the burqa might not be the best tactic.

Okay well first of all it's not a tactic, it's an anecdote. Secondly, foreigners are not required to wear Islamic dress in Saudi. The point is that I chose to wear it and quite liked it - where I wore isn't the point I was making
If a Pastafarian can wear a colander on his/her head in public places, then I see nothing wrong with the Burka.
Reply 15
Original post by epsilondelta
Okay well first of all it's not a tactic, it's an anecdote. Secondly, foreigners are not required to wear Islamic dress in Saudi. The point is that I chose to wear it and quite liked it - where I wore isn't the point I was making

An anecdote does not make it better. That foreigners are not forced to wear it is hardly deserving of applause. That Saudi women are forced, under the threat of death, is the more pressing matter, your comfort aside.

But OK, about your general point. The problem is many women in the UK do not have the choice. The polarisation of communities in this country is also more important than you having a shy day, as is the problem of criminals, of all types, using it as a way to avoid detection.

I would ask you to view the problem beyond your somewhat strange clothing compulsions and buy a hat.
Reply 16
Wow, you are very aggressive aren't you? Not so great at staying on topic though. I suggest you find a thread on the atrocities of the Soviet regime and have a cup of chamomile tea.
Does your libertarian stance on clothing extend to the Swastika?

verboten!
Original post by Good bloke
How about a t-shirt with one of these messages?

All gays should be castrated!

Kill the blacks!

Shoot Jeremy Corbyn now!

Deport all Moslems!

Fry a lesbian!

Hitler was right! Gas the Jews!

Is this really all that bad though :holmes:

Spoiler

Reply 19
Original post by Lord Gaben
If a Pastafarian can wear a colander on his/her head in public places, then I see nothing wrong with the Burka.

That's' a farfallacy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending