The Student Room Group

Edexcel Biology IGCSE paper 1/1B 4BIO 10th January,2017

Hello Guys! How are you all today? I sat for Biology Paper 1/1B. I just struggled with it but it was too damn hard. Wasn't the exam hard? I am very disappointed with the pattern of the exam.It didn't test many of the main topics instead concentrated its questions on ecology & Environment.I believe that it was very hard.It was more like paper 2. Usually more than 10 Questions come but this time there were only 6.I worked very hard for this exam and it took a lot of time to get familiar with the main ideas of Biology.The major main concepts were not even tested. Shouldn't we all complain about this to edexcel? Please let me know your feelings.Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I get what you mean, however, we haven't sat paper 2 - therefore, we can't complain as we have no idea what will come up in paper 2. I agree with you that it was difficult - hopefully, the grade boundaries will be adjusted accordingly

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Nye2001
I get what you mean, however, we haven't sat paper 2 - therefore, we can't complain as we have no idea what will come up in paper 2. I agree with you that it was difficult - hopefully, the grade boundaries will be adjusted accordingly

Posted from TSR Mobile

Paper 1's weightage is higher than paper 2. They cannot test much of the content in paper 2.Even if the main theory is tested in paper 2,it's content will be limited. If we achieve higher in paper 2 will not give us a desired grade.But at least we should inform Edexcel board about it so that they can do something about it.
Reply 3
Original post by geato
Paper 1's weightage is higher than paper 2. They cannot test much of the content in paper 2.Even if the main theory is tested in paper 2,it's content will be limited. If we achieve higher in paper 2 will not give us a desired grade.But at least we should inform Edexcel board about it so that they can do something about it.

Ah okay. Well of course contact edexcel if you feel like it could help. Good luck for paper 2!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Nye2001
Ah okay. Well of course contact edexcel if you feel like it could help. Good luck for paper 2!

Posted from TSR Mobile

What grade are you expecting?
Reply 5
Original post by geato
What grade are you expecting?

Ah I don't know man. What ever I get haha😂 what grade are you expecting?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
If paper 2 goes exceptionally well then A otherwise B.
Reply 7
Original post by geato
If paper 2 goes exceptionally well then A otherwise B.

Ah. I'm sure paper 2 will have to be better than paper 1 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by geato
Hello Guys! How are you all today? I sat for Biology Paper 1/1B. I just struggled with it but it was too damn hard. Wasn't the exam hard? I am very disappointed with the pattern of the exam.It didn't test many of the main topics instead concentrated its questions on ecology & Environment.I believe that it was very hard.It was more like paper 2. Usually more than 10 Questions come but this time there were only 6.I worked very hard for this exam and it took a lot of time to get familiar with the main ideas of Biology.The major main concepts were not even tested. Shouldn't we all complain about this to edexcel? Please let me know your feelings.Thanks

I did that exam last June. It focused mainly on environment and ecology. There were many structure questions and I found it damn hard. I thought that I was doomed but luckily I scored an A*. I thought that the exam paper for a subject, I don't remember it quite clearly, wasn't covering all the topics, but I did not contact Edexcel.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Reshyna
I did that exam last June. It focused mainly on environment and ecology. There were many structure questions and I found it damn hard. I thought that I was doomed but luckily I scored an A*. I thought that the exam paper for a subject, I don't remember it quite clearly, wasn't covering all the topics, but I did not contact Edexcel.

What were the main topics in paper 2 ?
I didn't find it too bad really, just the amount you had to apply in the exam, it was like no past paper done before
Original post by Ninagabriella
What were the main topics in paper 2 ?

I don't seem to recall them though. But the topics I could recall are: the kidney and nephrons, About predatory plants (digestive system). And there were many structure questions.
Reply 12
Hello! Students, who have given this paper,please reply to this thread.Thanks
So uhmm... How did you all find paper 2? 😶
Original post by Illumination
So uhmm... How did you all find paper 2? 😶

It was better than paper 1! I think it was alright. What did you think?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by geato
Hello! Students, who have given this paper,please reply to this thread.Thanks

It was different, for me it was worse than paper 1, but what did you put for the method in measuring the lipid broken down by lipase?
Original post by Ferret500
It was different, for me it was worse than paper 1, but what did you put for the method in measuring the lipid broken down by lipase?

Ah sorry I can't really remember I think I put some key words and connected them I can't really remember now 😂 that was a really weird question 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aha yeah 😂 apparently it was either using ethanol in some weird test or using the pH when the lipase turns to fatty acids, decreasing the pH... both of which i did not put 😂 but Edexcel have done something... diferent... this time round
Aha yeah 😂 apparently it was either using ethanol in some weird test or using the pH when the lipase turns to fatty acids, decreasing the pH... both of which i did not put 😂 but Edexcel have done something... diferent... this time round

Ah man 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

OK yea this question got me. What didn't make sense to me is that the "food containing lipid" did not have any lipase in it! The experiment was basically a crucible with a "food containing lipid" (I assume it's a liquid solution) that is mixed with "compound X", which is supposed to be something that inhibits lipase. So, if there is no lipase in the solution, how can this thing work? I said that the pH of the solution should not drop as the lipids are not turned into fatty acids due to the inhibition of lipase. I'm so confused??? I read the question over and over and saw no mention of lipase in the solution. :confused:
asdfghjkl;lkjhgfdsaawertyuiopoiuytrewqwertyuiomnbvcxz

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending