The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE Government and Economics applicants 2017

Hi there, seems like this course is less popular than I think. So here I am starting a thread for people who are applying for this course and share some Insightful information about this course. But most importantly, to clam my nerves.

P.s just received a 4 week email on monday

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hello! It tends to have around 500-600 applicants with 50-60 getting in

I didn't get the 4 weeks email on Monday and apparently decisions come on Thursdays and Fridays, today went by, let's just tomorrow I don't get anything tomorrow because it'll be a rejection. Hopefully i get the 4 weeks on Monday.

It's a great course, it's pretty much PPE without philosophy which is good and bad, I'd prefer reading philosophy as a hobby than as a course though. And I think the course still contains political philosophy. Best of luck!
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Original post by zayn008
Hello! It tends to have around 500-600 applicants with 50-60 getting in

I didn't get the 4 weeks email on Monday and apparently decisions come on Thursdays and Fridays, today went by, let's just tomorrow I don't get anything tomorrow because it'll be a rejection. Hopefully i get the 4 weeks on Monday.

It's a great course, it's pretty much PPE without philosophy which is good and bad, I'd prefer reading philosophy as a hobby than as a course though. And I think the course still contains political philosophy. Best of luck!

Thanks for your reply mate. Can you tell me abt your predicted grade and GCSEs if you don't mind?
Reply 3
Original post by marx_victor
Thanks for your reply mate. Can you tell me abt your predicted grade and GCSEs if you don't mind?

Okay so this is quite shocking. I'm predicted A*AA in Economics, Maths & Politcs (respectively) but my GCSEs were awful! 2 A's (IT and Maths), a few B's (English, CS & Business) and a few C's (Scienes & lang). I spoke to LSE about this (an admissions selector) and asked him how I could compansate this in the event I get rejected and he said not to bother with the EPQ but instead to focus on A-levels and he said "if your application wasn't considered competitive you wouldn't have made it this far and would've been informed by us since it's one of the first things we consider" which really boosted my confidence since this came from someone who selects applications (and potentially mine!) But I know if I get a rejection it'll be due to poor GCSEs.

Wbu?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by zayn008
Okay so this is quite shocking. I'm predicted A*AA in Economics, Maths & Politcs (respectively) but my GCSEs were awful! 2 A's (IT and Maths), a few B's (English, CS & Business) and a few C's (Scienes & lang). I spoke to LSE about this (an admissions selector) and asked him how I could compansate this in the event I get rejected and he said not to bother with the EPQ but instead to focus on A-levels and he said "if your application wasn't considered competitive you wouldn't have made it this far and would've been informed by us since it's one of the first things we consider" which really boosted my confidence since this came from someone who selects applications (and potentially mine!) But I know if I get a rejection it'll be due to poor GCSEs.

Wbu?

Nice, what did you get in AS? :h:
Reply 5
Original post by zayn008

Wbu?

My GCSEs were kinda average 4A*, 4A and 1B. I am happy that I get predicted 41/45 for my IB (777 HL), though I am concerned that whether the combination of HL business and HL econ is a disadvantage to me
Reply 6
My GCSEs were kinda average 4A*, 4A and 1B. I am happy that I get predicted 41/45 for my IB (777 HL), though I am concerned that whether the combination of HL business and HL econ is a disadvantage to me

It's not a disadvantage, it's an opportunity cost of time, you've dedicated time to learning the same thing twice and taking a subject that's only respected for certain things (the micro economics/finance side which is included in economics) which is heavily diluted anyway so it's personal disadvantage to yourself but no way will LSE look down on it they'll just take it out of the picture at worst. Other than that your predicated IB and grades look great!
Reply 7
Original post by ReallyWigga
Nice, what did you get in AS? :h:

AAB, I got A's in every paper except S1 which is why I got a B in maths! Also self taught economics and got an A in both papers (I think that's what's made my application competitive) so not the best but I think it's still pretty good, my application didn't meet the typical expectations but I think it stands out with unusual achievements. If LSE are looking for someone who can still do great but doesn't fit the typical mould I guess I could get lucky
Reply 8
Hey! International student here for Government and Economics.
Have any of you received any decisions as of now? I got the 4 week email this week, and that's all.
Reply 9
Original post by sonnet18
Hey! International student here for Government and Economics.
Have any of you received any decisions as of now? I got the 4 week email this week, and that's all.

Don't think anyone has got a decision for this course yet, not that I've heard of (I keep a close eye on the LSE thread), LSE do take their time with decisions but sometimes no news is good news because its like a knock out, you submit it and they can get rejected, you get the 8 week email then you can get rejected, you get the 4 week email and you're more likely to get accepted because they haven't rejected you thus far
Original post by zayn008
Don't think anyone has got a decision for this course yet, not that I've heard of (I keep a close eye on the LSE thread), LSE do take their time with decisions but sometimes no news is good news because its like a knock out, you submit it and they can get rejected, you get the 8 week email then you can get rejected, you get the 4 week email and you're more likely to get accepted because they haven't rejected you thus far

Ah, thanks for sharing!
Has anybody got offers for this course yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi there, seems like this course is less popular than I think. So here I am starting a thread for people who are applying for this course and share some Insightful information about this course. But most importantly, to clam my nerves.

In the same boat as you I applied on 02/12 I think, hbu?
Hi everyone,

Just thought I'd get people's advice on my chances. Basically I had an offer last year for Economcis but missed it by 8UMS in C4 Maths and didn't get in. I decided to take a gap year for a number of reasons, part of which was to apply to LSE again. I've stayed busy in my gap year, having a job in Finance at my local Council and volunteering at school mentoring students in the Maths, Economics and Spanish departments (my 3 A Level choices). I have also helped the school with their Erasmus+ programme. My grades:
A Levels: AAA+A in EPQ
GCSE: All A* apart from Further Maths (A)

Knowing that this is a course with a smaller number of places means it is a bit more nerve-wracking :smile: I got the 8 week email before Christmas but I'm yet to get the 4 week one-is this a bad thing?

Thanks and good luck to everyone!!!!!!!
Reply 14
Original post by ryan1598
Hi everyone,

Just thought I'd get people's advice on my chances. Basically I had an offer last year for Economcis but missed it by 8UMS in C4 Maths and didn't get in. I decided to take a gap year for a number of reasons, part of which was to apply to LSE again. I've stayed busy in my gap year, having a job in Finance at my local Council and volunteering at school mentoring students in the Maths, Economics and Spanish departments (my 3 A Level choices). I have also helped the school with their Erasmus+ programme. My grades:
A Levels: AAA+A in EPQ
GCSE: All A* apart from Further Maths (A)

Knowing that this is a course with a smaller number of places means it is a bit more nerve-wracking :smile: I got the 8 week email before Christmas but I'm yet to get the 4 week one-is this a bad thing?

Thanks and good luck to everyone!!!!!!!

Ahhh that's such a bummer! I hate C4. You shouldn't expect your 4 week email until the 8 weeks is over
Reply 15

hey what is the 4 week email?
Reply 16
Original post by Goks1200
hey what is the 4 week email?

It's a email after your 8!weeks review
I am an international student too. I haven't received any 4 week email. When did you submit your application?
Reply 18
Anyone heard anything yet?
Im a Gov and Econ applicant too, still not heard since the 4 week email :frown: super worried as it's my 1st choice

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending