The Student Room Group

My attempt of taking control of my revision

So... Hi. Thought I would finally take my revision seriously and I guess this is the best way to do it and stay accountable for it as GCSEs are approaching rather quickly.

I think I will start with what I would like to gain from doing this:

Be more motivated to study and to not procrastinate as much (this will be hard!)

Plan what I will be doing in terms of revision.

Stay accountable for what I do(n't) and face public humiliation by admitting it- very good motivator!

I guess this is the part where I put my subjects, predicted grades and what I got for my last mock.

Chemistry- A* (I done my GCSE in yr 10)

ECDL- A* (Not technically a GCSE but oh well)

Physics- Not sure but I would like to get an A (optimistically)

Biology- A*, A

English Language- 7, 5

English Literature- 6/7, 4

Maths- 7, 5

Graphics- B, C

Art- B, B

French-A*, A

For English Lang, Lit and maths, our school set ridiculously high grade boundaries so I would like to think that I got a better grade- even the top students got a relatively low grade.

Tbh, I'm quite worried about the new grading system as right now I don't know if I'm going to get a good English and maths grade as they are no grade boundaries yet :frown:

Oh, and all of the subjects, except the sciences and French, are on AQA (sciences and French are on Edexcel)

Future Plans:

I am going to study A level chemistry, biology and fine art.

I will study (possibly) Concept Art at Teesside University an hopefully get a 1st of 2.1.

I will then work for Naughty Dog as a concept artist (I will probably have another job beforehand as they hire the best but I'm being optimistic).

I will probably be update bi-weekly, maybe Monday and Thursday, but I'll figure it out along with my revision and tips are always appreciated! :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
Woooww, great predicted grades, I'm so impressed with your (very specific) aspirations! I'm in yr 11 and made a blog too, I will be watching this one to see how you get along :smile: Great work so far.

Original post by pinkypaz123

Tbh, I'm quite worried about the new grading system as right now I don't know if I'm going to get a good English and maths grade as they are no grade boundaries yet :frown:

I can relate to this so much haha ^^^^ Very worried because it seems like the teachers don't have a clue what the new grading is gonna be like.
Original post by misstiah_h
Woooww, great predicted grades, I'm so impressed with your (very specific) aspirations! I'm in yr 11 and made a blog too, I will be watching this one to see how you get along :smile: Great work so far.

I can relate to this so much haha ^^^^ Very worried because it seems like the teachers don't have a clue what the new grading is gonna be like.

Thanks :smile: Hopefully this will be the kick I need to start revising properly

It really seems like they are plucking numbers out of the air and saying "X is grade Y"
Update 1- 6th Jan

As far as first weeks go, this one has been perfect, I only had 2 days this week and today i had my favourite day- triple Triple Science, PE then Art (and then stayed an hour for more art :biggrin: ) but I am knackered!

What I've done this week:

Read through my science revision guide to get a head start on what I'm going to be doing

Drafted a few pages of the maths book I'm making for myself

Spent alot of time watching '1 more episode'

Spent 10 minutes a day on Memrise practicing my French vocab

What I'm going to do do by next update:

Memorise my French CA by Tuesday

Reach my 10.5 hours a week (revision)

Draft 4 more maths book pages

Finish my painting for art

Do 2 worksheets on mathswatch

So, yeah. Hopefully I'll get these done by next week, you'll know if I don't by next week!
Update 2- 11th Jan

So far, my first full week has been ok-ish, had parents evening Monday and overall, I'm doing fantastic :biggrin: . If you cut out me being bored sometimes, it's been a good week so far

So....

Done my French speaking CA yesterday, teacher said I've got an A/A*- she just needs to listen to it again

Brought a project book where I can start to write my B1 notes

Spent around 8 (I think) hours revising last week

Read some B3 stuff so I have a head start :biggrin:

Finished S1 of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D (I know it's not revision but oh well)

As you can see, I haven't done some things but I'll try to get them done by next update hopefully

What I'll get done by next update:

Draft 4 more maths pages

Finish my art painting- urgent!

Do 2 worksheets on mathswatch

Reach 10.5 hours of revision this week

Looks like you're doing great so far! Good luck with your GCSEs :biggrin:
Original post by Fox Corner
Looks like you're doing great so far! Good luck with your GCSEs :biggrin:

Update 3- 17th Jan

It's only Tuesday and it feels like I've been at school for ages! But I guess time will soon fly by after February half term which means the clock will be ticking before my first exam D: My first exam is French (16th May) followed by B1 that same day, isn't that fantastic. I've also got to finish my Art coursework by the 1st of February and I have my 'make' deadline for Graphics at the end of half term

Finished typing my B1 topic 1- took a lot of hours to do :/

Finished my art painting!

Spent 5 hours revising last week :O

Watched a few maths revision videos on circle theorems, bearings and something else which I can't remember

Spent 5 hours revising in the last 2 days so I should be on track for that 10.5 hours!

Done the maths homework that I was going to do tomorrow. Yay

I think it's kind of kicked in that I need to start properly revising now. I'm not sure if this is going to be a phase though lol

What I'll get done by next update:

Be near/on my 10.5 hour mark

Finish my other art painting

Review words of Memrise

Type up at least 3/4 of B1 Topic 2

Let's see if I get all this done by next update :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
Update 4- 22nd Jan
It's been in the back of my mind for a few months now but it wasn't until earlier this week when I was walking home with my friend that I thought that maybe my intelligence and just life in general I guess would be of better use in a different career. A career of medicine. This means giving up my dream of becoming a concept artist which I'm unconsciously doing now and it's scaring me because as I think more and more of being a doctor (possibly), I'm accepting the fact that I may not be an artist in the future. But on the flip side, being a doctor and helping people seems like a really good idea. I've even decided that if I did do a degree in medicine, it would be at Imperial College London. I guess I'll do some more thinking and come back to you when I do that.

In the meantime...

I've done 11 hours of revision this week!! This is just over my goal :biggrin:

Went over P3 topic 1 as I'm now starting it (well, tomorrow) so I'm well ahead

Wrote only a couple sub topics worth of notes on B3

Done a B3 past paper in class Friday and marked it (except the 6 markers) and I'm pretty sure I got an A*

Done some bits and pieces on Khan Academy, trying it out and it seems ok so far

What I should hopefully get done by next update:

Know all of my Speaking and Listening speech for English- got it Friday

Finish all the little bits in my Art book. Coursework is due on the 1st of Feb!

Review the words on Memrise that i haven't already

Type up 3/4 of B3 topic 2

See how I changed the subheading lol :biggrin:

I know I'm going to regret saying (well typing) this but I'm confident I'll conquer this coming week
(edited 7 years ago)
Update 5- 25th Jan
You know how I said I'm feeling confident about this week? Scratch that. I feel like crap, probably coming down with something lol
Today, I went to the local sixth form (also where I'm going for A-Levels) to see what A-Level Maths is all about. It was only four of us there (and 3 yr 13s) and i think we did well, answered some questions (although we weren't awfully talkative) and they said that we would be more than alright doing A-Level maths. The thing is, I'm not doing A-Level maths as when I looked in a revision guide, it seemed WAY out of my league
but after that, I'm thinking of dropping Art for it. But I'm doing it again next week so we'll see I guess

Typed up more of my P3 notes, really coming in handy as I'm slightly ahead of my class :biggrin:

Compiled all of my exam dates (16 of them) as a reminder

Found out my mathswatch login so I should be able to do some stuff on there

Finished the book I was reading (Agent 21 Reloaded (amazing!)) and I'm now starting the next one

I know my Speaking and Listening speech, just got to write up my queue card, which is actually tomorrow... Yay

Reviewed about 1/3 of the words on Memrise, just another 100 or so left :colondollar:

What i should hopefully get done by next update:

Finish development of my art sketchbook

Do a couple worksheets on mathswatch

Finish typing up P3 topic 2 notes

I think i should be able to do that, I seem to set goals that I'm not actually achieving but I think I'll be able to do these in the next few days.

Till next time!
Update 6- 29th Jan
Just two more weeks till Feb half term! This will be the first holiday here I'm not going to be totally relaxing as I'm going to school for a few days to do some revision and I will be trying to get as much revision done out of school too. Especially Maths as my teacher has decided that we are now going to stop continuing with the syllabus and start revising (which is stupid IMO) but those who want to carry on will have to do it during lunch, bleh.

I've done 12.5 hours of revision this week!

Typed up more of P3 Topic 2 and went over P3 Topic 1- I'm still ahead of the class :biggrin:

Went over about 5 maths topics that I didn't get in my mock and done questions on them

Reviewed all the words of Memrise

Done my Speaking and Listening exam, it went a lot better than I had expected and by the amount of boxes the teacher ticked, I think I've gotten at least a Merit!

Finish my Art coursework- there's no way I'm no doing that as it's due in Wednesday D:

Start making my pop up book for Graphics

Type up the rest of my P2 Topic 2 notes

Go over some more maths topics I don't know well

Let's see what I do, shall we?
Update 7- 2nd Feb

It's already February?! I can't believe it, time's going so fast and I guess what the teachers were saying is true: Year 11 will go by in a flash D:
I guess it's time for me to really start revising and get most of my notes completed which is taking a lot longer than I expected it to.
On the bright side, I got my English Lit timed practice back (Jekyll and Hyde question) and I got 21/30 (grade 7 iirc)which is one more point than when I did it in December XD and I got my English Lang timed practice back, 27/40 (grade 6) which is a jump from my previous 23 (I believe) as my teacher told us to do the narrative. I've always done the description as I thought I was better at it but I guess not!
I've also just finished a maths past paper in class, I don't think I done great but I guess I'll see when my teacher marks it

Completed 6 hours of revision this week so far

Signed up for February half term English. When asked about what food will be there, she said no pizza or greasy food lol

Handed in my Art coursework- spent 4 hours the night before finishing it off. Thank god it's over!

Typed up the rest of my P3 Topic 3 notes

Learn a few more words and phrases on Memrise

Find some images for my Art exam prep

Start typing up some P3 Topic 3 notes- Ionising radiation!

Go over B3- that's the exam that will go on my report for science (have mocks between 27th Feb- 10th Mar)

I think that's it. Might do some other revision during that time but here's a guideline of what I will probably do.
Original post by pinkypaz123
Update 7- 2nd Feb

It's already February?! I can't believe it, time's going so fast and I guess what the teachers were saying is true: Year 11 will go by in a flash D:
I guess it's time for me to really start revising and get most of my notes completed which is taking a lot longer than I expected it to.
On the bright side, I got my English Lit timed practice back (Jekyll and Hyde question) and I got 21/30 (grade 7 iirc)which is one more point than when I did it in December XD and I got my English Lang timed practice back, 27/40 (grade 6) which is a jump from my previous 23 (I believe) as my teacher told us to do the narrative. I've always done the description as I thought I was better at it but I guess not!
I've also just finished a maths past paper in class, I don't think I done great but I guess I'll see when my teacher marks it

Completed 6 hours of revision this week so far

Signed up for February half term English. When asked about what food will be there, she said no pizza or greasy food lol

Handed in my Art coursework- spent 4 hours the night before finishing it off. Thank god it's over!

Typed up the rest of my P3 Topic 3 notes

Learn a few more words and phrases on Memrise

Find some images for my Art exam prep

Start typing up some P3 Topic 3 notes- Ionising radiation!

Go over B3- that's the exam that will go on my report for science (have mocks between 27th Feb- 10th Mar)

I think that's it. Might do some other revision during that time but here's a guideline of what I will probably do.

Great work doing all that revision! How come your teacher told you to do narrative? I usually choose the description.. is doing a story easier to structure or something?
Original post by misstiah_h
Great work doing all that revision! How come your teacher told you to do narrative? I usually choose the description.. is doing a story easier to structure or something?

Thanks :smile: and you too, I've been following your thread and you're doing quite alot.

I'm not quite sure why my teacher said that, maybe to get some of us to do something different.

I think that it was easier because my friend and me are making a story currently and I guess that might've helped.
Update 8- 5th Feb
I feel like these updates are all over the place. I'm doing them twice a week but there's no real schedule for them. If I did decide to stick to certain days, i feel like I'll have to rush so I think I'll just keep it like this I guess?
Anyway, I've noticed that I'm the most productive on Sundays and especially after 4pm-ish. i guess it's my way of unconsciously procrastinating by doing it at the end of the week as I've reduced the amount time I procrastinate. Saying that, 2 days before my art coursework was due, i played my favourite game called 'How many episodes can I watch before I go to bed?'. In case you were wondering, it was 3 XD

What I've done so far:

Started writing up my P3 Topic 3 notes

I've 95% finished my graphics make on the computer

Went (briefly) over conditioning (B3) as I'm abit iffy on that

Reached 11.5 hours of revision this week

Mounted my pictures for art on A3 paper, for my exam, I've chose to do Disease and Infection and I'm going to try and base it off The Last of Us (great game!)

Spoiler

Start my physical make of my pop up book for graphics

Go over a few more bits of B3

Type up some more P3 Topic 3 notes

Learn some more words on Memrise

(edited 7 years ago)
Update 9- 12th Feb

It's half term! Thank god for that. I don't think I could've lasted any longer, I was so tired but I slept quite a bit Friday night so that's great :biggrin:
On Tuesday, I'm going to English revision at school (10-2) and I think we're getting pizza from Dominoes or something like that :biggrin: Yay. Some people are actually going to school Mon-Thur and possibly Mon-Fri if the teacher is doing it which is crazy- that's no holiday at all!
I'm sorry that I've only updated once this week but I just kept forgetting and when I did remember, I was doing some work.

I'm going to skip what I've done this week because I've forgotten XD. All I know is that I'm not making my Graphics pop up which Ms has extended the deadline for.

What I'm going to do this holiday:

Finish drawing my Art piece

Revise Graphics for my mock (a wk after I go back). We haven't done any theory yet as it's only been coursework so far so I know pretty much nothing and last mock I got a C :/

Revise for all my other subjects for the mocks

Finish the book I'm reading (Agent 21: Codebreaker (the 3rd in the series))

Finish P3 Topic 3 notes and start Topic 4

Type some more B1 notes

That's quite a lot but I'm going to be taking breaks and such so it'll be manageable if I can be bothered lol
Update 10- 16th Feb

So I haven't really been sticking to the plan that i made but I've been doing other stuff so that counteracts that I guess. I went to school on Tuesday to do some English revision and tbh, it was really boring. For the poetry bit, we just went over a couple themes and... that was about it. We didn't even get pizza like they promised, only little sandwich quarters and crisps! But I did a crap load of maths worksheets and going over the questions that I couldn't do in my maths test in class, I 'gained' 20 marks :biggrin:
I don't want to go back to school as I really can't be arsed :/

What I've done so far:

Done alot of maths worksheets

Currently writing P1 notes as I need to relearn it

Went over a bit of B3, but not much

Looked at some graphics revision but not doing much with it. I've ordered a CGP revision guide so maybe that'll help me?

Had a go at making a mind map of Romeo, it went ok I guess

My P1 notes:

Spoiler

I know I'm not going to do what I would plan for me to do so I think I'll leave it blank for this one
(edited 7 years ago)
Update 11- 26th Feb

Well I just had my first week back at school and was was exhausting to say the least. And for the next two weeks, I have my mock exams D: I didn't do awfully well last time but I've been really trying to know as much as I can to get good grades. I kind of have to for Maths as I'm going to switch A Level Art for Maths if I get a decent enough grade, I've been doing a lot of maths worksheets and just working hard so fingers crossed! I'll find out on the 29th of March how I've done.

I've 98% completed my pop up for Graphics

Went over a B1 and B3 paper yesterday and worked on my gap areas

I've started reading a Jekyll and Hyde revision guide, learning quite a bit and I've implied quite a lot :biggrin:

Learning Graphics for my mock- haven't done theory in class yet

Went over the questions I didn't get in my maths paper I did in class the other day

What I should get done by next update:

Read some more of the J&H guide

Do another maths past paper

Write some more P1 notes

Here's to a (hopefully) productive week!
Update 12- 5th Mar
I keep forgetting to update!
Anyway, my first mock week is out of the way and I only have 3 exams this coming week left :biggrin: I think I did alright, for Graphics I think I did reasonably well and for maths, I believe I've done better than last time but I did make quite a few of silly mistakes :redface: hopefully that won't bring my mark down a lot. In general, it's been a productive week, i managed to do all of my things on the to-do list thing so yay!

Well I read more of my J&H revision guide for the exam, it did help

I did another maths past paper straight after I wrote the last update and I made a note of what I need to improve on

Wrote some more P1 notes

Annotated another poem in my anthology (4 left now)

I'm currently doing some French stuff on Quizlet, seems to be helping

I also got a French workbook and have done 3 pages so far- I hate listening!

Annotate at least 1 more poem

Learn some more French vocab

Write some more P1 notes

Do some more pages in the French workbook

I think that'll do- don't want to overload myself because I know i won't do it all lol
Update 13- 12th Mar

Mock period is now over :biggrin: Yay! I just have all day Art sometime this coming week which I'm kind of dreading as I tend to get very bored near the end of a double so this is going to be fun :/
On an unrelated note, watched Doctor Strange last night and it was AMAZING! Currently listening to the soundtrack.
Other than revising for the mocks, I haven't be that productive but now they're over, I have more freedom to study what I want.
For my English Lit mock, I think I read the question wrong despite reading over it three times to prevent that from happening and I annotated the question but some of my friends told me the question read something different... In my defense, a few others interpreted it wrong too...
Also, I asked my maths teacher if I had a good enough grade in the mocks to do A Level maths and she said yes! I'm so happy but I'll wait until I get my mock results on my mock result day to change A Levels :h:

Redone the maths paper 1 I did in mocks and I managed to gain a lot of marks, that's sad

Finished my drawing/ painting for art

Learnt some more French vocab and done a page in the workbook

Annotated a couple more poems, 3 left I think now

Create a collage thing of what I want to do in the future for inspiration

Learn some more French vocab

Do another maths past paper twice

Possibly annotate another poem

Until next time! :ciao:

Quick Reply

Latest