The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Decision: Accepted
Course: Geography
College: Girton
Offer Conditions: 4 H2 As and H3 Distinction (based on past year conditions)
How did you first hear and when? (email/letter/owl): Email
Home, EU or International (Country): International (Singapore)
School Type (Private/State/Grammar/other): State
GCSE Grades: 6A1 4A2
A Level Predictions: 4H2 As with H3 Distinction

Strengths: Personal statement, prediction grades
Weaknesses: Actual school grades
Interview Assessment: Personally, I thought my interview was trash and I felt like I wasn't being interviewed at all. Most people say that your interview should be okay if you feel like you've learned something during the interview. I was honestly taken aback by the interview questions because of how standard they were as I expected something that isn't from my school syllabus. I prepared based on what my seniors and other geographer undergrads were asked. Looking back, I guess I did maintain a positive energy during the interview.
Why did you choose your college? Acceptance rate, friends who are current undergrads, headmistress is a geographer(??)
Where else did you apply? UCL, LSE
If you were accepted, what is your Insurance choice? UCL
If you were rejected, which university is benefiting from Cambridge’s oversight? Definitely UCL.
General Comments & Advice: My advice is to always stay positive and have faith! Getting this offer isn't exactly great either because I'm terrified that I can't meet my conditions haha. Despite feeling absolutely bummed after my interview and pre-interview assessment, I highly recommend applying for the course that you like and even trying out for Cambridge! Don't ever feel like you aren't cut out for something. Anything is possible.
Decision: Accepted from Pool

Course: History of Art
College: Trinity
Offer Conditions: A*AA excluding music
How did you first hear and when? (email/letter/owl): letter

Optional
Home, EU or International (Country): Home
GCSE Grades: 13A* 1A
AS Subjects & Grades: English Lit, German, History, Music, AAAA
A2 Predictions: A*A*A*A

Reflection
Strengths: grades, admissions test
Weaknesses: interviews!!
Interview Assessment: 1st one was not very great lol 2nd one was better
Why did you chose your college? Chose King's but got pooled to Trinity really really don't mind!!
Where else did you apply? UCL, St Andrews, Edinburgh, York
If you were accepted, what is your Insurance choice? UCL

General Comments & Advice: I cried
(edited 7 years ago)

Course: Natural Sciences (Biological)
College: St John's
Offer Conditions: A*A*A in any of Maths, Further Maths and Biology
How did you first hear and when?: Email today

Optional
School Type (Private/State/Grammar/other): Grammar
GCSE Grades: 10 A*
AS Subjects & Grades: Maths A, Biology A, Chemistry A, History A
A2 Predictions: Maths A*, Chemistry A*, Biology A*, Further Maths A

Reflection
Strengths: UMS Scores (around 95%)
Weaknesses: Chemistry interview was a geg lol
Interview Assessment: General and Biology interview went well, felt like I had a strong and enjoyable discussion with the academics involved and built a positive rapport with them. Chem less so...
Why did you chose your college? Want to do a Choral Scholarship there
Where else did you apply? Durham, UCL, Edinburgh, Manchester
If you were accepted, what is your Insurance choice? Durham (standard)

General Comments & Advice: It's strange they omitted Chemistry from my offer

Course: Medicine
College: Emmanuel
Offer Conditions: A*A*A
How did you first hear and when? (email/letter/owl): email and letter

Optional
GCSE Grades: 12A*s
AS Subjects & Grades: 4As (Chemistry, Biology, Physics and Maths)
A2 Predictions: 3 A*s (Maths, Chemistry, Biology)

General Comments & Advice: I surprised myself by actually really enjoying the interview, I found it really interesting and liked working through the problems.
Decision: Accepted from pool
Course: MML (French and Spanish)
College: Newnham
Offer Conditions: A*AA
How did you first hear and when? (email/letter/owl): Email at about 11am and then a letter

Course: History & Politics
College: Homerton
Offer Conditions: A*AA (in any of my 3 subjects)
How did you first hear and when? (email/letter/owl): by email at 9:01 this morning

GCSE Grades: 7A*, 4A, 1B
AS Subjects & Grades: History A, German A, Maths A, Economics C (dropped) and had to get it remarked to get that C haha
A2 Predictions: History A*, German A*, Maths A* - (which is not gonna happen lol)
Other Qualifications: N/A
IB (with predicted score): N/A
Other:

Reflection
Strengths: i guess my interview must've gone a lot better than I thought lol and I did feel that the HAA went really well
Weaknesses: obvs my AS grades were hardly great and gcse's pretty average
Interview Assessment: 6-7/10 know i did well on a few questions on some pretty hard stuff, but did try and tell an italians international relations expert that italy was in the UN security council :redface:
Why did you chose your college? Did an open application, however upon visiting homerton found it to be very nice, lovely grounds, everyone was super friendly, plus sports facilities on site, really happy to end up there (even if i do have to cycle everyday lol)
Where else did you apply? Warwick, Exeter, Southampton, Birmingham
If you were accepted, what is your Insurance choice? Warwick or Exeter haven't decided yet
If you were rejected, which uni is benefiting from Cambridge’s oversight? n/a

General Comments & Advice: be confident in your interview and try and strike a balance between being too relaxed/guarded - best advice is to just to think through your thought process aloud (they will generally nod if your going in the right direction) and try and properly consider the question/ the point your making before answering. Feel free to say ummmm... well.... its better to speak intelligently after an awkward pause then rush in and say something stupid/illogical (eg. my italy claim at the start fml, i'll have her for supervisions as well, gonna be so awkward). Above everything just be open-minded and logically consider anything put to you, don't freeze/be scared of not being instantly able to formulate a whole answer, think aloud and logically go through it. I'm proof that you can say something stupid + still get ratings (tho it was only homerton tho, at Kings i doubt i would've got in lol)
Reply 46
Decision: Accepted from Pool

Course: Law
College: Wolfson (originally applied to Downing)
Offer Conditions: A*, A. 2018 entry.
How did you first hear and when? (email/letter/owl): E-mail

Reflection
Strengths: Personal statement, SAQ, invested interest in the study of (specific areas of) law
Weaknesses: B,B,C A-Levels. I was predicted an A for Art (taking the entire A-Level in one year) and a B for Philosophy (retake)
Interview Assessment: I thought it went really well. All 4 lecturers that interviewed me said they were thoroughly impressed by my responses.
Why did you chose your college? I chose Downing due to their exceptional law society. I also loved the atmosphere at the college and the student societies would have suited my interests perfectly.
Where else did you apply? Southampton (rejected), LSE (awaiting response)
If you were accepted, what is your Insurance choice? Southampton, but I was rejected. So, as ridiculous as it sounds, it's now LSE.
If you were rejected, which uni is benefiting from Cambridge’s oversight? N/A

General Comments & Advice: Don't assume that you have to have A* and A grades to apply - but that said, my extenuating circumstances made me an exception, application-wise (I've had a kidney transplant/spent secondary school playing catch-up for missing about 2 years of school). Focus on the interview; don't be afraid to ask the interviewers for clarification, if needed. Focus on having an engaging conversation about your passion for your subject (and how you can show that, i.e. reading, etc.)
(edited 7 years ago)

Course: Asian and Middle Eastern Studies (Japanese)
College: Selwyn
How did you first hear and when? (email/letter/owl): Post, picked it up after school!

Optional
GCSE Grades: 10 A*
AS Subjects & Grades: AAAA in Chinese, Maths, English Language and Religious Studies
A2 Predictions: A*A*A Maths, English Language, Chinese

Reflection
Why did you chose your college? Close to lectures and drop dead gorgeous! Also has decent gyps I've heard
Where else did you apply? Sheffield, Edinburgh, Durham and SOAS
If you were accepted, what is your Insurance choice? Sheffield

General Comments & Advice:
Cambridge isn't so lofty - don't be afraid to apply and be confident! And don't be afraid to apply for smaller subjects if that's what you're into :wink:
Reply 48
Decision: Rejected

Course: Computer Science
College: Clare
Offer Conditions: N/A
How did you first hear and when? Letter
Optional
IB (with predicted score): 41
Other: Pooled, but not fished. I am slightly disappointed, as they thought me good enough to be pooled. I really thought I'd be good enough to get in, and really fell in love with the place. My advice to future years is to give it your honest best shot and see where that takes you
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 49
Decision: Rejected after pooling

Course: NatSci (phys)
College: Pembroke
How did you first hear and when? Letter

Optional
Home, EU or International (Country): UK
School Type (Private/State/Grammar/other): State sixth form
GCSE Grades: A* x 12
AS Subjects & Grades: Maths, f. maths, physics, chem. Average 95-6 UMS in maths and f. maths ASs
A2 Predictions: A*A*A*A

Reflection
Strengths: GCSEs, predicted grades
Weaknesses:
Interview Assessment: Definitely made some mistakes but I'd say they went mediumly and were quite interesting.
Why did you chose your college? Couldn't decide between a couple of them so just picked one. Also it was very pretty
Where else did you apply? Durham, Warwick, Bristol, Southampton
If you were rejected, which uni is benefiting from Cambridge’s oversight? Durham

General Comments & Advice: Gutted :frown: Oh well, Durham was actually very nice. Best of luck to everyone else still yet to hear!
Reply 50
Decision: Accepted from pool
Course: NatSci physical
College: Churchill
Offer Conditions: A*A*AA (A*s in F.Maths and Physics, A's in Maths and Chemistry)
How did you first hear and when? (email/letter/owl): Email, at school
Home, EU or International (Country): EU (Poland)
Reply 51
Course: econ tripos
College: hughes hall
Offer Conditions: none. Mature student with grades A*A*A in alevel.
How did you first hear and when? (email/letter/owl): Email
Home, EU or International (Country): UK
School Type :state
Decision: accepted

General comments:
Been reading a lot of bad review of hughes hall and just found out it is the lowest ranked cambridge college in terms of the percentage of firsts achieved . So a little worried.
Reply 52
Course: Maths
College: Jesus
Offer Conditions: A*A + 1,1 in STEP II and III
How did you first hear and when? (email/letter/owl): email 10:30 on Thursday, Letter with conditions on Friday

GCSE Grades: 9A*,1A
AS Subjects & Grades: Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Computer Science AAAAA
A2 Predictions: A*A*A*A*A*

Reflection
Strengths: Personal Statement, UMS
Weaknesses: Interview
Why did you chose your college? Older college with nice grounds
Where else did you apply? Bristol, Durham
What is your Insurance choice? Bristol, I think
(edited 7 years ago)
Decision: Accepted (still can't believe it)
Course: Architecture

How did you first hear and when? (email/letter/owl): Wished for an owl, got an email 9:08am 12th (went around the school and cried to every friend and teacher I could find T^T) and a letter later in the day 😂
Optional Home, EU or International (Country): International
School Type (Private/State/Grammar/other): Independent
GCSE Grades: 8 A* 3.5 A
AS Subjects & Grades: Maths, F Maths, Physics, Art/ AAA (didn't take Art AS)
A2 Predictions: A*A*A* (dropped F Maths)

Reflection Strengths: Portfolio, love for preservation and historical architecture, quite a lot of outside reading and online courses on the history of architecture
Weaknesses: Building identification...*facepalm*
Interview Assessment: I felt it went horribly and I still think that now... but somehow I have an offer???
Why did you choose your college? Bc scholarship (I'm gonna need to pay £38000 a year as an international 😭😭😭)

Where else did you apply? Bath, UCL, Cardiff and Edinburgh
If you were accepted, what is your Insurance choice? Edinburgh
If you were rejected, which uni is benefiting from Cambridge’s oversight? Bath

General Comments & Advice: @peachykeen I cried too 😂 Multiple times
To those who are doubting themselves and think they might not apply: APPLY. If you don't apply, you'll never get in. To those who would be preparing for an interview or just simply are thinking of applying (Gotta start early you know 😂): keep reading, keep looking at architecture news articles on the Guardians etc and keep thinking to yourself and comment on the buildings that you see around you. You can never overprepare for it so keep going. All hard work will pay off.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 54

Course: Natural Sciences Bio
College: St Catharine's
How did you first hear and when? (email/letter/owl): Letter on the 12th

GCSE Grades: 12A*s 1A
AS Subjects & Grades: Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Further Maths, French, General Studies AAAAAA
A2 Predictions: Biology, Chemistry, Maths A*A*A*

Reflection
Strengths: AS and GCSE grades, Maths UMS (average 93.5)
Weaknesses: NSAA
Interview Assessment: I didn't think it went very well but it was enjoyable
Why did you chose your college? I really liked it on the open day, it is very central and isn't too small
Where else did you apply? Edinburgh, Manchester, Glasgow, Liverpool
If you were accepted, what is your Insurance choice? Probably Edinburgh

Just go for it. Try to be friendly at interview and at least with natsci, while you do need to know everything on your personal statement, knowing the syllabus is probably more important.
Reply 55
Course: Natural Sciences (Physical)
College: Downing
Offer Conditions: A*A*A (Out of Maths/FMaths/Physics/Chemistry)
How did you first hear and when?: Had a letter delivered before I got back from Sixth Form to open it at 13:40

GCSE Grades: 5A*s (including Maths, Physics, Chemistry obvs) 5As 2Bs 1C (German lol)
AS Subjects & Grades: A*(EPQ) AAAA
A2 Predictions: A*A*A*A*

Reflection
Strengths: AS UMS? Maths(297) Further Maths(272) Physics A(276) Chemistry A(279). I think I got about 70% on the NSAA. I think the interviews went quite well and I enjoyed them at least.
Weaknesses: Nothing unique on my personal statement (if they even read it.) Only got the 2nd best Maths UMS in my year as I messed up a couple of my Further Maths exams. Bad GCSEs (literally not even in the top 10 at my school.)
Interview Assessment: At first I thought they were probably a 7 but considering the other parts of my application and that I've got an offer they must have gone really well so probably more like an 8 or 8.5. I never got completely stuck anyway.
Why did you chose your college? I went there for a 3 day residential in June on an event called South West Open Day and decided I really liked it there.
Where else did you apply? Imperial (not heard back) Warwick (offer) Bath (offer) Southamption (offer).
If you were accepted, what is your Insurance choice? Warwick
Decision: Rejected

Course: Mathematics (with Physics)
Offer Conditions: N/A
How did you first hear and when? Email at 9:01

Other: Rejected without being even put in the pool. I do 6 A-Levels including Further Mathematics (Additional) and am predicted straight A*s in all so I have no idea why they didn't even pool me. My interviewer was absolutely abysmal though and was totally intent on catching me out.
Reply 57

Course: History
College: Emmanuel
How did you first hear and when? (email/letter/owl):colone:mail then a letter (waiting for the owl my heart is going so fast I'm that nervous)

Optional
School Type (Private/State/Grammar/other): State (innit fam)
GCSE Grades: A* History A* Spanish A*French A* English Lang A* R.E. A Core Science A Additional Science A English Lit A Geography B Maths B Drama
AS Subjects & Grades: A History A Spanish A Classics C French
A2 Predictions: A* History A* Classics A Spanish
Other Qualifications I've got a HSK in Chinese?

Reflection
Strengths: Talking about my coursework in the interview and the nature of the sources, my PS and references were good too and my predicted grades are sexy
Weaknesses: Very flustered in the interview and I got a bit confused at times, I also said something I couldn't really back up as the time was spent so that was annoying, my UMS wasn't perfect like I got As in all the UMS scores I submitted, my history would have been A* equivalent but as it was reformed I couldn't send it :/ I felt my written test went badly but I'm not sure now as I've been accepted so it must have been reasonably strong! I didn't really understand the text till the night before which was stressful!
Why did you chose your college? Prettiest one, lots of cash, famously friendly, suitably old, many ducks and I went on a taster day and summer school there :smile:
Where else did you apply? Durham, King's London, Bristol and Newcastle
If you were accepted, what is your Insurance choice? Either King's or Newcastle (probably King's unless it's too expensive as a 2nd choice uni!)

Sleep A LOT before your interview, do an essay plan for the exam as well as doing a mock of it, read loads of history and philosophy books and practice debating as that really helps and really go for it in the interview treat it as an aggressive test rather than letting yourself panic over trying to impress them.
Decision: Pooled then Rejected
Course: Physical NatSci
College: Pembroke
How did you first hear and when?: Letter, around lunchtime
Home, EU or International: Home
School Type: Private
GCSE Grades: 11A*s plus Distinction in Additional Maths
AS Subjects & Grades: Chemistry A, Physics A, Maths A, Geography A
A2 Predictions: A*A*A*A* (Chemistry, Physics, Maths, Further Maths)
Why did you chose your college?: It has a college cat. 'Nuff said.
Where else did you apply?: Warwick, Imperial, Durham, Manchester (all for Chemistry)
Which uni is benefiting from Cambridge’s oversight? Imperial
(edited 7 years ago)
Course: Bio Natsci
College: Selwyn
How did you first hear and when? (email/letter/owl): Letter

Optional
School Type (Private/State/Grammar/other): Grammar for GCSE, 6th form college for A levels
GCSE Grades: 9A* 1A 2B
AS Subjects & Grades: AAAB Chemistry/Biology/Maths/Art
A2 Predictions: A*A*A*

Reflection
Strengths: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Judge that for yourself
Weaknesses: NSAA, only doing 3 subjects
Interview Assessment: Ups and downs. Answered 2 questions well, 1 less so well, and the general one doesn't mean much anyway
If you were accepted, what is your Insurance choice? Imperial (AAA Biological sciences w a year in industry)

General Comments & Advice: If you want to get in, give it a go, you have nothing to lose! It's just another slot on your UCAS and it's an amazing experience to go down and do the interviews. Don't overthink things too much with regards to college choice or your GCSE grades or whatever, just be yourself and let the interviewers judge you rather than judging for yourself if you think you have a shot :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending