The Student Room Group

Uni concerns - Oxford - rejection

Hey everyone! So I got my Oxford rejection to study history yesterday, and it's left me feeling pretty conflicted.
I have offers from Exeter, Bristol, Birmingham & Sheffield, my predicted grades are A*A*A* (got 4 As at AS) but I just dont feel entirely confident about going to one of those unis (really not trying to sound conceited here - hope u get that lol).
I feel like I should have aimed higher and applied to places such as Durham, LSE & UCL - which I liked but struck off due to student satisfaction.
Anyway, what should I do?? I've had my UCAS sent of for months so obviously can't change any universities there, am I allowed to pay & send another application for history but at 5 new universities? Or is that fraud of some kind lol.

Please help/offer advice?? Thanks so much
Reply 1
Original post by tinyqueen
Hey everyone! So I got my Oxford rejection to study history yesterday, and it's left me feeling pretty conflicted.
I have offers from Exeter, Bristol, Birmingham & Sheffield, my predicted grades are A*A*A* (got 4 As at AS) but I just dont feel entirely confident about going to one of those unis (really not trying to sound conceited here - hope u get that lol).
I feel like I should have aimed higher and applied to places such as Durham, LSE & UCL - which I liked but struck off due to student satisfaction.
Anyway, what should I do?? I've had my UCAS sent of for months so obviously can't change any universities there, am I allowed to pay & send another application for history but at 5 new universities? Or is that fraud of some kind lol.

Please help/offer advice?? Thanks so much

Hey :smile:
I'm sry to hear u got rejected - happened to me last year and deffinitely wasn't pleasant experience.
I get that ur not sure where u want to go to, i'm guessing that you had ur heart
Oxford and with all the work u put into applying it's hard not to get sucked into it all. Tbh i don't know much about history courses so idk how good the unis u refer to are but i do think you should keep an open mind about them as when the disappointement wears off you might actually quite like the sound of their courses. About sending off another UCAS application, i'm afraid i don't think you can do that. as it would mean people could apply for as many unis as they like if they just paid more. What i'd suggest you do if keep your UCAS application as it is and not dismiss the offers you've already got. Go to offer holders visit days and see if you like the course and unis - give them a chance. If you go visit and decide you don't want to go then that's fine to, you can always take a gap year and re-apply next year to unis you prefer. you can even reapply to oxford it you want.
just want to finish by saying that not getting into oxford isn't as bad as it may initially seem, applying to oxford is a good life experience regardless of outcome and i'm sure you'll do great wherever you end up going :smile:
hope this helped and good luck with making ur uni choices!
Reply 2
I would re apply to those places you want to but keep on Exeter because it's somewhere between being hugely respected and being normal. Remember it's not your qualities that got you rejected but rather the Oxford system just wasn't compatible with your qualities, and from what I can see these qualities can take you a long way so do apply to those highly respected unis but do have a middle ground choice.
Reply 3
Original post by elenaxxx
Hey :smile:
I'm sry to hear u got rejected - happened to me last year and deffinitely wasn't pleasant experience.
I get that ur not sure where u want to go to, i'm guessing that you had ur heart
Oxford and with all the work u put into applying it's hard not to get sucked into it all. Tbh i don't know much about history courses so idk how good the unis u refer to are but i do think you should keep an open mind about them as when the disappointement wears off you might actually quite like the sound of their courses. About sending off another UCAS application, i'm afraid i don't think you can do that. as it would mean people could apply for as many unis as they like if they just paid more. What i'd suggest you do if keep your UCAS application as it is and not dismiss the offers you've already got. Go to offer holders visit days and see if you like the course and unis - give them a chance. If you go visit and decide you don't want to go then that's fine to, you can always take a gap year and re-apply next year to unis you prefer. you can even reapply to oxford it you want.
just want to finish by saying that not getting into oxford isn't as bad as it may initially seem, applying to oxford is a good life experience regardless of outcome and i'm sure you'll do great wherever you end up going :smile:
hope this helped and good luck with making ur uni choices!

Thankyou so much for the reply!! It's really really hard isn't it?? I literally feel like I'm in mourning lol. I think as I have some good offers I'm going to wait until my A2 results and see how I feel, thanks again for your advice :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by zayn008
I would re apply to those places you want to but keep on Exeter because it's somewhere between being hugely respected and being normal. Remember it's not your qualities that got you rejected but rather the Oxford system just wasn't compatible with your qualities, and from what I can see these qualities can take you a long way so do apply to those highly respected unis but do have a middle ground choice.

Yeah Exeter does look really fab, and thankyou it's a tough one especially seeing as I really liked Oxford. The Exeter entry grades are quite high, but I might put it as my firm choice anyway and work my butt off :smile: thankyou for your reply!!
Reply 5
Yeah Exeter does look really fab, and thankyou it's a tough one especially seeing as I really liked Oxford. The Exeter entry grades are quite high, but I might put it as my firm choice anyway and work my butt off :smile: thankyou for your reply!!

Yeah I had my heart on Oxford too but then you look at it and think, is it a system that creates the best or does it just look for the best and maintain that? Either way I know I'm not the best and oxford wouldn't have made me that, I would've probably struggled and felt the need to comepte, not sure if this is relatable so sorry lol

But you can still be the best if not better without oxford, you just won't have the oxford alma mater to prove you were the best when you started. And sorry for the overuse of the word best :tongue:
Reply 6
Thankyou so much for the reply!! It's really really hard isn't it?? I literally feel like I'm in mourning lol. I think as I have some good offers I'm going to wait until my A2 results and see how I feel, thanks again for your advice :smile:

ur welcome :wink: yeah was pretty awfull i get why u call it mourning haha
yeah waiting is a good idea as you'll probably be feeling very different then and in a better place to make decisions :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending