The Student Room Group

Well done Switzerland - the only sane country left in Europe

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
So to be a sane country you need to force muslim girls to swim with boys?
Reply 2
Original post by Ibbyyyyy

No - not bowing down to the demands of a religious minority is sane unlike every other country in Europe. They also ban the building new minarets which is good.
Original post by Ibbyyyyy

That's your conclusion from this landmark decision? Oh, dear.
Original post by MeYou2Night
No - not bowing down to the demands of a religious minority is sane unlike every other country in Europe. They also ban the building new minarets which is good.

Why did you start this thread when theres is already a long established one?

Its wrong for you to say every other country because this was a single case on the ECHR and its application. Mobody else had the need to test this point. Your claim is silly.
Ah, the sleepy hamlet of Invergordon. It's a lovely little place where traditional Highland culture flourishes, with barely a Muslim in sight.

For example, women can enjoy a quiet Monday night swimming during the traditional ladies only session.

https://www.highlifehighland.com/invergordon-leisure-centre/wp-content/uploads/sites/25/2015/02/ILC-Swimming-Timetable-Jan-2017.pdf

Bizarrely, the leisure centre does not get weekly protests at their gender segregated swimming sessions. Of course, if such segregation could be linked to Muslims, an army of keyboard warriors would be getting very irate.
I appreciate the kind words but just to clarify, I would not have voted for Trump, if I was an American. I just wish the criticism against him was based more on facts rather than his character or appearance. I do prefer his politics over Hillary's but that isn't saying much. I identify with large part of the Republican movement but I still have a number of reservations about the alt-right.

In my opinion, far too many people are confusing religion with culture. In this case, several accommodations were made to respect both: for example, they would be allowed to wear 'burkinis', despite this being 'un-Swiss'. Knowing the country very well, far too many assume it to be an intolerant nation. This is simply false. The nation's true success has been in integrating foreign-born citizens into its economy (the current wave of Islamic migration is not the first time it's had to 'open' up). Enforcing laws on all residents of a nation does not equal a violation of rights; both parties need to come to an understanding
Reply 7
Original post by 999tigger
Why did you start this thread when theres is already a long established one?

Its wrong for you to say every other country because this was a single case on the ECHR and its application. Mobody else had the need to test this point. Your claim is silly.

I didnt see the other one until after I made this one.

It isnt silly. Forget the ECHR for a second - its the fact Switzerland made the decision in the first place before it got there. I highly doubt most other European countries (esp the UK) would do the same. This is especially the case for the banning of Minarets which Switzerland also ban.(decided by referendum).
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by MildredMalone
Silly islamic rules shouldn't be given an inch, any requests which relate to making sharia type concessions should be shot right down. Give 'em an inch, they'll think they're the ruler.

Agreed but the problem you have with people who would say you & I are wrong, are the type of people who like to have their cake and eat it, so itll never get through to them.
I didnt see the other one until after I made this one.

It isnt silly. Forget the ECHR for a second - its the fact Switzerland made the decision in the first place before it got there. I highly doubt most other European countries (esp the UK) would do the same.

You dont know though. You made a statement you cnat back up = silly

Why forget the ECHR thats what it was all about. It gave new insight to the extent of the freedom of religion under it. Signatories got to the ECHR all the time to get legal rulings. That is why they have a court especially for it.
Agreed but the problem you have with people who would say you & I are wrong, are the type of people who like to have their cake and eat it, so itll never get through to them.

Or the fact you are unable to construct a rational argument and you claim to be in favour of progressiveness, but your response is to ban things. How ironic.

Tell me again under what right you have to tell someone what they can wear, other than the areas I highlighted previously. If someone wnats to dress as Darth Vader thats up to them. What makes you think you have the right to say otherwise.

Feel free to explain why that is having your cake and eating it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Or the fact you are unable to construct a rational argument and you claim to be in favour of progressiveness, but your response is to ban things. How ironic.

Tell me again under what right you have to tell someone what they can wear, other than the areas I highlighted previously. If someone wnats to dress as Darth Vader thats up to them. What makes you think you have the right to say otherwise.

Feel free to explain why that is having your cake and eating it.

Whats not progressive about banning gender segregation?

Did I say people cant wear what they want? No.. My issue with a full face veil is, I like to see someones face, which is a cultural thing in Western society right? if people are moving into a new culture, they should assimilate to it. If they dont like it, dont move there, and move somewhere, which has a culture you like. - simple. I'm flabbergasted to how people cant understand that very simple notion.

Its having your cake and eating it,as people who criticise my stance will be like; 'gays have rights!" (which is good obviously), but then if I criticise islam and Muslims views towards homosexuals, theyll say"you racist Islamophobe how dare you!' - you might not, but a lot of people from your viewpoint do that.

Also alot of the people on the left who are like the above, are some the most antisemtic people Ive ever spoken too.

You dont know though. You made a statement you cnat back up = silly

Why forget the ECHR thats what it was all about. It gave new insight to the extent of the freedom of religion under it. Signatories got to the ECHR all the time to get legal rulings. That is why they have a court especially for it.

You equally cant back the opposite up. Ive gone on the basis of other occurrences where a Muslim has demanded the long established culture violiates their Human Rights.There are far too may to name.

I meant forget it if we are talking about Countries doing things as of Switzerland had already made the decision, at two governmental levels before it reached the ECHR, who made the correct decision to upheld it.
Whats not progressive about banning gender segregation?

Did I say people cant wear what they want? No.. My issue with a full face veil is, I like to see someones face, which is a cultural thing in Western society right? if people are moving into a new culture, they should assimilate to it. If they dont like it, dont move there, and move somewhere, which has a culture you like. - simple. I'm flabbergasted to how people cant understand that very simple notion.

Its having your cake and eating it,as people who criticise my stance will be like; 'gays have rights!" (which is good obviously), but then if I criticise islam and Muslims views towards homosexuals, theyll say"you racist Islamophobe how dare you!' - you might not, but a lot of people from your viewpoint do that.

Also alot of the people on the left who are like the above, are some the most antisemtic people Ive ever spoken too.

You equally cant back the opposite up. Ive gone on the basis of other occurrences where a Muslim has demanded the long established culture violiates their Human Rights.There are far too may to name.

I meant forget it if we are talking about Countries doing things as of Switzerland had already made the decision, at two governmental levels before it reached the ECHR, who made the correct decision to upheld it.

Stick to the point and this case. It wasnt about your support for gay rights.

I can back the opposite that in this country you can wear what you like, except for very limited circumstances.

There is nothing wrong with someone using the protection of the law or questioning whether they have the right or not. Are you against human rights or getting issues resolved in the courts? Where would you like to resolve them? in the playground?

You are speaking nonsense now. At any one time countries have multiple cases waiting to be heard, sometimes hey win and other times they lose.

People should be able to and can wear what they like* . Are you really that insecure?
Stick to the point and this case. It wasnt about your support for gay rights.

I can back the opposite that in this country you can wear what you like, except for very limited circumstances.

There is nothing wrong with someone using the protection of the law or questioning whether they have the right or not. Are you against human rights or getting issues resolved in the courts? Where would you like to resolve them? in the playground?

You are speaking nonsense now. At any one time countries have multiple cases waiting to be heard, sometimes hey win and other times they lose.

People should be able to and can wear what they like* . Are you really that insecure?

No, it has everything to do with gay rights and other things that Islam and the West have major conflict on. The only reason you wont engage with that topic, is because you either, 1 agree with me and cant bare it, or 2. you think that gays shouldnt have rights or 3. you defend islam so much, you wont admit you defend their position on this even if you actually find it wrong.- its one of the three - which one?

I didnt say there was anything wrong with questioning the law or having a case heard. I said that as Switzerland made the original decision, they made a sane one, regardless of what the ECHR said. - Dont see why you havent understood that already.

I also dont really know why, you brought wearing what you want up but no people shouldnt be able to wear what they like, when it conflicts with the pre-exisiting and long standing culture of a country.Same reason wny if you go to a Muslim country, the modesty should respected.

I also really hope you dont support gender segregation, as you totally ignore it when it is the topic of the case unlike what someone wears - youre the one who went of topic.
No, it has everything to do with gay rights and other things that Islam and the West have major conflict on. The only reason you wont engage with that topic, is because you either, 1 agree with me and cant bare it, or 2. you think that gays shouldnt have rights or 3. you defend islam so much, you wont admit you defend their position on this even if you actually find it wrong.- its one of the three - which one?

I didnt say there was anything wrong with questioning the law or having a case heard. I said that as Switzerland made the original decision, they made a sane one, regardless of what the ECHR said. - Dont see why you havent understood that already.

I also dont really know why, you brought wearing what you want up but no people shouldnt be able to wear what they like, when it conflicts with the pre-exisiting and long standing culture of a country.Same reason wny if you go to a Muslim country, the modesty should respected.

I also really hope you dont support gender segregation, as you totally ignore it when it is the topic of the case unlike what someone wears - youre the one who went of topic.

Or 4 we were talking abiut the right to wear what you wanted , which you were snearing at.

Other countries make decisions that dont always result in people going to law, before you carry on snearing at them you might find out what they are instead of just claiming you know.

Ofc people should be able to wear what they like as long as its not illegal. Are vistors only allowed to wear bowler hats and dress as pearly kings and queens?
The fact of you getting annoyed becayse people dont meet your fashion criteria is hilarious.

Everything was already talked though on the other thread.

I am not fussed if they have separate girls and boys schools. There were plenty in the UK already. If you bothered to read the ruling then you will see it only applies to pre pubescent children and that they cna have exemptions after puberty. I dont have any problem with that or the decision.
Liberate women by telling them what they can and not wear :rolleyes:
Or 4 we were talking abiut the right to wear what you wanted , which you were snearing at.

Other countries make decisions that dont always result in people going to law, before you carry on snearing at them you might find out what they are instead of just claiming you know.

Ofc people should be able to wear what they like as long as its not illegal. Are vistors only allowed to wear bowler hats and dress as pearly kings and queens?
The fact of you getting annoyed becayse people dont meet your fashion criteria is hilarious.

Everything was already talked though on the other thread.

I am not fussed if they have separate girls and boys schools. There were plenty in the UK already. If you bothered to read the ruling then you will see it only applies to pre pubescent children and that they cna have exemptions after puberty. I dont have any problem with that or the decision.

Im not sneering at it., and Im not sure why you want to talk about this but not gay rights?, as neither have anything to do with the case.

Anyway, I'd also say the same about Westerners wearing clothes in Muslim countries that are in conflict with their culture. - two different things., which you have conflated to suit your argument, as I know you're intelligent enough to understand theyre two different things.
Im not sneering at it., and Im not sure why you want to talk about this but not gay rights?, as neither have anything to do with the case.

Anyway, I'd also say the same about Westerners wearing clothes in Muslim countries that are in conflict with their culture. - two different things., which you have conflated to suit your argument, as I know you're intelligent enough to understand theyre two different things.

Why not just wear clothes that arent illegal? I find your belief that you have the right to dictate what people wear is a joke. Since when did you set yourself up as the fashion police? Keep on being progressive by banning things.
Why not just wear clothes that arent illegal? I find your belief that you have the right to dictate what people wear is a joke. Since when did you set yourself up as the fashion police? Keep on being progressive by banning things.

Oh, so muslim countries can ban clothes but we cant? kettle = black

Again, your the one who brought it up - not me.
Oh, so muslim countries can ban clothes but we cant? kettle = black

Again, your the one who brought it up - not me.

ofc we cam ban clothes if we wish to, its just retarded and as the law stands you cna wear what you like in this country. You claim to be progressive yet your solution is to ban things, couldnt make it up.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending