The Student Room Group

Uk Has Less Progressive Laws Than Morocco After It Bans The Burqa

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Good bloke
Which why we see women in the ISIS-held areas of Syria and Iraq choosing to get shot of full veil garments the minute they have been liberated from IS control, isn't it?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/syrian-women-pictured-throwing-off-niqabs-after-their-village-was-freed-from-isis-a7076221.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cxj3rbdFFZU

If you believe women generally wear these abominations out of choice, and are not held in thrall by the male-dominated family, in turn led by fundamentalist Wahhabi and Deobandi imams in Saudi- and Pakistan-funded mosques, you are very naive.

Here's one Moslem woman's view:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-1195052/Why-I-British-Muslim-woman-want-burkha-banned-streets.html

and many more:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/womens-life/11120588/Muslim-women-reveal-why-they-wear-the-veil-burqa-school-debate.html

Ironically, ISIS has banned the burkha in some areas, as it represents a security risk (which is, of course, also a potential problem in the west).

Don't think you read my post, i was talking about those women who choose to wear the Burka. If the best you can do is post random links, then I can post random links of Muslim women saying they wear it by choice. It lead to no where, just like this conversation.
Original post by joe cooley
Until it can be guaranteed that every woman/child who wears a burka in Britain does so voluntarily

What about naturists, they don't voluntarily wear anything, should we ban all clothes?
Original post by liberty cap
What about naturists, they don't voluntarily wear anything, should we ban all clothes?

Really, i can call to mind one case of anyone claiming they are forced to wear clothes, the naked hiker.

Obviously you must be aware of more such cases, why don't you share them with us?

Despite the cant spewed about Islam, it is a cult of misogyny.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/1874471.stm

Britain in the future?
Reply 43
Original post by niteninja1
After the tube failed to spot a practise IED we need to be vigilant that includes banning disguises such as the burqa and balaclavas

The tube? Are you referencing 7/7? Help me out here.
Original post by Damien96
Adding to a list that includes Malaysia and Tunisia. Yet here we are, tolerating women in this country are being put in bags. We can pat ourselves on the back all we like for showing tolerance to intolerance, but women in this country are suffering.

Let's be clear, the burqa is not Islamic, let alone cultural to Muslim majority countries. So let's not cowardly hide behind the moral inconsistencies of multi-culturalism and have a truly progressive multi-ethnic society.

http://thesatedire.com/features/islamophobe-of-the-week/islamophobe-of-the-week-morocco/

If someone wants to wear a Burqa they should be allowed to.
If a woman wants to be put into a bag, it's her choice.

Before anyone asks, yes I would also allow people to wear far-right symbols.

I think people need to stop getting angry what other people do with their own bodies.
Reply 45
Original post by macromicro
Yes it is. Your disagreeing with that Islamic interpretation is irrelevant. The point here is that certain Islamic tendencies ought to be reformed.

The problem with those on the left who wax lyrical on multiculturalism, as you touched upon, is their rather naive understanding of integration. The burqa (and niqab) ought to be exceptions to our freedom of choice in clothing in the same way that most of our choice-based freedoms have harm-based exceptions, including speech and expression. The most common reply is that wearing a burqa harms nobody, despite its being a form of indoctrinated self-harm and that it is in fact harmful to others in its expression of relegating women to invisibility and property. The latter is harmful to new generations, to Western culture, to feminism, to public security, and to our system of ethics. We are past the point where this needs to be debated. The other Abrahamic religions (and feminism itself) have come too far for anyone to take seriously the argument that the burqa is not other-harming and that it does not impede cultural integration. The UK will eventually follow suit, though I wouldn't hold your breath under May's term.

Although you seem to have entirely missed the point about it not being Islamic, I largely agree.
How about a t-shirt with one of these messages?

All gays should be castrated!

Kill the blacks!

Shoot Jeremy Corbyn now!

Deport all Moslems!

Fry a lesbian!

Hitler was right! Gas the Jews!

Absolutely.

If someone wants to expose themselves in public for being a racist/ homophobe/ Islamaphobe/ anti semitie then they should be allowed to.

Give them the chance to expose themselves.
Reply 47
Original post by Bornblue

I think people need to stop getting angry what other people do with their own bodies.

I am uneasy about clothing bans but I would ban the swastika, for the same reason I would ban the burqa, The burqa, however, is more problematic than a hate symbol. No one is forced to wear the swastika, no one can use the swastika as a disguise to engage in criminal activity and the swastika is not commonly worn in certain areas of the country.

The way the burqa is becoming normalised in the UK is nauseating, at the very least we should condemn it.
I am uneasy about clothing bans but I would ban the swastika, for the same reason I would ban the burqa, The burqa, however, is more problematic than a hate symbol. No one is forced to wear the swastika, no one can use the swastika as a disguise to engage in criminal activity and the swastika is not commonly worn in certain areas of the country.

The way the burqa is becoming normalised in the UK is nauseating, at the very least we should condemn it.

If someone wants to wear a Swastika and oust themselves as an anti-semite then they are welcome to. I want to know who the racists are.

I don't think the Burqa is a hate symbol really. The women who wear it by and large want to wear it.

What we should aim to do is create a society in which they don't want to wear it, we shouldn't just ban it. It won't work.
The Burqa represents the barbaric and sadistic teachings of Islam. It should be banned in all non-Muslim countries.
Although you seem to have entirely missed the point about it not being Islamic

Do tell
I would ban the swastika.

If someone wants to wear a Swastika and oust themselves as an anti-semite then they are welcome to.

The swastika, in its unrotated form, is neither a symbol of anti-semitism nor of hatred, but of good luck. You will find it in temples in Korea and India, commonly on Buddhist, Jainist, American Indian and Hindu artifacts, in British banks, on the outside of the India High Commission's building in Aldwych, London and plenty of other public buildings in Britain, including municipal buildings, None of these sympathisse with the nazis or their doctrines.

Carlsberg used it as their logo and there is still one to be found on its Danish HQ.

The Theosophical Society uses it on its seal, and even the British druids used it.

What about walking around naked?
Reply 53
How about a t-shirt with one of these messages?

All gays should be castrated!

Kill the blacks!

Shoot Jeremy Corbyn now!

Deport all Moslems!

Fry a lesbian!

Hitler was right! Gas the Jews!

This reads like the tracklist of my debut mixtape. 🔥🔥
Reply 54
Honestly though, no item of clothing should be banned in public, burqa's, horse heads, onesies, whatever. That includes slogans on clothing, and the face of homophobic mass murderers up to and including Che Guevara.

BUT there's exceptions. Including immigration, banks, that sort of thing.
Original post by Iridocyclitis
What about walking around naked?

I guess there are hygiene issues associated with that.
The swastika, in its unrotated form, is neither a symbol of anti-semitism nor of hatred, but of good luck. You will find it in temples in Korea and India, commonly on Buddhist, Jainist, American Indian and Hindu artifacts, in British banks, on the outside of the India High Commission's building in Aldwych, London and plenty of other public buildings in Britain, including municipal buildings, None of these sympathisse with the nazis or their doctrines.

Carlsberg used it as their logo and there is still one to be found on its Danish HQ.

The Theosophical Society uses it on its seal, and even the British druids used it.

Regardless of its heritage, the swastika is most definitely now an anti-semitic symbol. But still people should be allowed to wear it.

I think its better that we know who our racists and anti-semites are.
I guess there are hygiene issues associated with that.

There are legal issues, as there are with garments that incite crimes.
Original post by jape
This reads like the tracklist of my debut mixtape. 🔥🔥

We don't agree a lot but that was a quality line!
Fair play!
Regardless of its heritage, the swastika is most definitely now an anti-semitic symbol.

Only among the SJW thought police, and nobody adult or sane worries about what they think.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending