The Student Room Group

Assignment on Ethical Dilemmas in nursing and can not think of a ethical dilemma.

I am studying an access to nursing course and have to do a 10 minute presentation on a ethical dilemma of my choice. I would like to make mine either mental health or drug/alcohol related.

Examples of peoples in my class are:

Should IVF be available to women over 40?

Should anti depressants be prescribed to teens under the age of 16 without parental consent?

Should plastic surgery by available to people under 21?

Any suggestions will be extremely helpful!
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tbhjuststop
I am studying an access to nursing course and have to do a 10 minute presentation on a ethical dilemma of my choice. I would like to make mine either mental health related or drug/alcohol related.

Should anti depressants be prescribed to teens under the age of 16 without parental consent?

Giving people who have lost capacity medications if a massive ethical dilemma
How about should patients with 'do not resuscitate orders' be treated in intensive care?

I have always found this question to be very intriguing

Maybe that could be an option for you

Edit: yeah, maybe you should change your topic
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by claireestelle
Giving people who have lost capacity medications if a massive ethical dilemma

Could you elaborate on this? Not sure if i understand what you mean by loss of capacity. Thank you for answering so quickly!
Reply 4
Original post by Blackstarr
How about should patients with 'do not resuscitate orders' be treated in intensive care?

I have always found this question to be very intriguing

Maybe that could be an option for you

That is very intriguing i am going to do some research on this now!
I hope you find the research
(edited 7 years ago)
Could you elaborate on this? Not sure if i understand what you mean by loss of capacity. Thank you for answering so quickly!

Say someone has dementia so can't make fully informed decisions anymore refuses to take medication they need to keep them healthy, what you do then if an ethical dilemma
Say someone has dementia so can't make fully informed decisions anymore refuses to take medication they need to keep them healthy, what you do then if an ethical dilemma

Would that be an ethical dilemma?

If they lack capacity then staff should do what's in the best interest of the patient, and if that means giving them medical treatment then that wouldn't be an ethical dilemma.

Probably comes under beneficence ...?
Original post by Perserverance
Would that be an ethical dilemma?

If they lack capacity then staff should do what's in the best interest of the patient, and if that means giving them medical treatment then that wouldn't be an ethical dilemma.

Probably comes under beneficence ...?

Good point, although it's that line of would the person really want that if they could make the decision for themselves I guess.
Good point, although it's that line of would the person really want that if they could make the decision for themselves I guess.

Yeah, but you can't think what if they would or wouldn't - as doing that could cause more harm to the patient by withholding treatment on that basis.

On the contrary, if they signed a DNAR when they were competent and possessed capacity that would still stand even when they lack capacity.

This is some tricky business. Just been trying to read up stuff for my interview which is why I know bits and bobs, otherwise I'd be a lost chicken on the matter :/

Please do correct me if I'm wrong tho :smile:
Yeah, but you can't think what if they would or wouldn't - as doing that could cause more harm to the patient by withholding treatment on that basis.

On the contrary, if they signed a DNAR when they were competent and possessed capacity that would still stand even when they lack capacity.

This is some tricky business. Just been trying to read up stuff for my interview which is why I know bits and bobs, otherwise I'd be a lost chicken on the matter :/

Please do correct me if I'm wrong tho :smile:

I left mental health nursing for various reasons, the forced treatment of people without capacity was a part of it. Yes a DNAR would still stand and it's a very tricky business as you have to be sure they aren't competent at all in that moment to make that decision, as it's a decision by decision basis.
I left mental health nursing for various reasons, the forced treatment of people without capacity was a part of it. Yes a DNAR would still stand and it's a very tricky business as you have to be sure they aren't competent at all in that moment to make that decision, as it's a decision by decision basis.

I've had a bit of experience with mental nursing and it put me off too...

I rejected a mental healthcare worker job because felt like I'd not cope with it :frown:
I've had a bit of experience with mental nursing and it put me off too...

I rejected a mental healthcare worker job because felt like I'd not cope with it :frown:

I think it's something you have to be a certain way to cope with it, but if you like me feel you couldnt that's nothing to be ashamed of.
Person with MH forced to take drugs or undergo treatment because their illness (e.g. schizophrenia) is deemed dangerous to others (even though the person has never hurt any one).
I am studying an access to nursing course and have to do a 10 minute presentation on a ethical dilemma of my choice. I would like to make mine either mental health or drug/alcohol related.

Assisted suicide.
Your sister says her boyfriend is off drugs. You know he's not - you've seen his blood results. What do you say, and to who?

For bonus points, you know they're about to try for a baby, and you know he's HIV+. She's never mentioned that. What do you say, and to who?
Reply 16
Original post by ThePricklyOne
Person with MH forced to take drugs or undergo treatment because their illness (e.g. schizophrenia) is deemed dangerous to others (even though the person has never hurt any one).

I really like this. How would you word it as a question?

Should a person with mental illness be made to undergo treatment if they're not harming others?
Reply 17
Original post by unprinted
Your sister says her boyfriend is off drugs. You know he's not - you've seen his blood results. What do you say, and to who?

For bonus points, you know they're about to try for a baby, and you know he's HIV+. She's never mentioned that. What do you say, and to who?

Really good one but someone unfortunately is already doing a question surrounding HIV and confidentiality!
I really like this. How would you word it as a question?

Should a person with mental illness be made to undergo treatment if they're not harming others?

Person A has Schizophrenia, but hasn't hurt any one.

If they refuse drugs/treatment, should they be forced to have it?
(edited 7 years ago)

There was a great one on TV last night - in my hospital - St Marys. A person brought in who failed to hang themselves - they were in a coma. How much treatment should you give them. Each Christmas you get the same people into ITU who have taken overdoses - when do you stop treating them.... they cost beds ( several thousand a night for an ITU bed) That money should go to treating cancers or kids.

Another one - should we pay for sex changes - they are expensive and first world problems. And having seen the results are not often very good. Many of these patients have severe mental health issues

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending