The Student Room Group

Graduate Employment

Scroll to see replies

Original post by __Anonymous
Exactly!

Once you have that job what then ? You need something challenging.
Original post by redleader1
Benefits lol, jk. True however I have a job and fair enough it pays well. I need something challenging, its mind numbing for me and not relevant to my degree.

What is your job if you don't mind me asking out of curiosity? I know how you feel but the bills needs to be paid! :frown:
Original post by Boreism
What is your job if you don't mind me asking out of curiosity? I know how you feel but the bills needs to be paid! :frown:

Its a call centre, however i'd rather not say but the organisation is really good, so it gives me a positive experience the pay is not bad either. However I need something more challenging !!
Its a call centre, however i'd rather not say but the organisation is really good, so it gives me a positive experience the pay is not bad either. However I need something more challenging !!

I used to work in a call centre, I definitely know how you feel because sometimes its soul destroying not being able to hit your targets (although I've never not met my targets!), but how long have you been doing that?
Original post by Boreism
I used to work in a call centre, I definitely know how you feel because sometimes its soul destroying not being able to hit your targets (although I've never not met my targets!), but how long have you been doing that?

About 10 months, Lol true. I have had interviews in my related field but was unsuccessful. But im still trying but the more you try, you lose a bit of motivation. Not saying im going to give up !
About 10 months, Lol true. I have had interviews in my related field but was unsuccessful. But im still trying but the more you try, you lose a bit of motivation. Not saying im going to give up !

10 months - that's round about the same time I was there!

What degree did you study, just out of curiosity?
Original post by Boreism
10 months - that's round about the same time I was there!

What degree did you study, just out of curiosity?

Criminology and Forensics

Posted from TSR Mobile
Criminology and Forensics

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sounds very interesting! :smile:
But I do definitely know how you feel and plus its the rat race, you don't exactly get much for working in a call centre if I'm being honest. :frown:
I understand that you have difficulty getting hours to do this but would you consider to volunteer part time or something to get experience in your field?

This is one of the exact reasons why people are considering to emigrate. Better job prospects and possibly better living too.
I already have an offer from one of my aunt's business contacts from America who's expanding their business to Hong Kong, so I'm seriously considering to make the move! :yep::woo: :jive:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Boreism
Sounds very interesting! :smile:
But I do definitely know how you feel and plus its the rat race, you don't exactly get much for working in a call centre if I'm being honest. :frown:
I understand that you have difficulty getting hours to do this but would you consider to volunteer part time or something to get experience in your field?

This is one of the exact reasons why people are considering to emigrate. Better job prospects and possibly better living too.
I already have an offer from one of my aunt's business contacts from America who's expanding their business to Hong Kong, so I'm seriously considering to make the move! :yep::woo: :jive:

I am doing some volunteering in the police force. But its just when an opportunity is available. If you dont get into the the police you have to wait 6 months.

Sounds very intresting I wouldnt mind going abroad for work like human rights etc so ling as it wasnt where I would have to live there, 12 months or something in like India or Africa sounds fine.
Original post by tonystark
I've not yet tried charity shops, but I joined a work development programme which lasted around 3 weeks (Making The Leap) - and I even have a certificate from the company. I worked in retail for a year for over 40 hours a week. I can't gain anything else from it.

Hey....I saw a National Careers Service advisor...she was really helpful, telling me how to look for internships. You can contact them about anything job/education related. They are really knowledgeable.

Ratemyplacement ;
Graduateland - these are two good websites for mostly placements, internships, entry-level jobs. Graduateland has a lot of international opportunities as well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending