The Student Room Group

School direct interview!

Hi everyone,

I've recently been invited to interview at one of my chosen schools. They've asked me to pick a story from the national curriculum recommended reading list. Does anyone have a link for this? I can't seem to find it anywhere!

Any help will be really appreciated :smile:
Reply 1
PS It's the year two reading list ideally :smile:
Reply 3
Ah I found that too! I spoke to a friend who is a NQT and she has said that there isn't an official list.
Original post by tash13
Ah I found that too! I spoke to a friend who is a NQT and she has said that there isn't an official list.

Hi I had my interview yesterday for a School Direct placement, starting in 2017 and was offered a place :smile:

I know I needed advice beforehand so hopefully this is helpful.

My classroom task was with Year 1 (about 20 children) and the book I chose was
The Penguin by Polly Dunbar, which you can get in Waterstones). I'd narrowed it down to about 5 books and tested them all with my own family and The Penguin was the firm favourite. It was really successful on the day. It is quick to get going ( I only had 15 minutes) , funny and offers lots of opportunities for the children to engage.
By about page 3 of the book they were able to join with the repeated refrain, demonstrating engagement to those assessing you. I took a teddy Penguin as a prop and had all of the children pull faces at the penguin, shout at it etc (if you read the book that will make sense). The core message of the book is about actions speaking louder than words, people still loving you even when you're not nice to them or get angry with them and so on. Essentially it is about emotions/feelings and
how you manage them - which is still relevant to year 2. After I'd read the book we talked about things they had done to show people they love them and vica
versa. Some talked about giving their mum a blanket when she was poorly,
going to the shops and helping to carry things. There are also lots of ways you
can use the book to teach other areas of the curriculum - should they ask you
about that.

Hope this helps & good luck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending