The Student Room Group

Well done Switzerland - the only sane country left in Europe

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 999tigger
ofc we cam ban clothes if we wish to, its just retarded and as the law stands you cna wear what you like in this country. You claim to be progressive yet your solution is to ban things, couldnt make it up.

Its progressive to want to rid the world or remove something from society, which I deem to be a regressive stone age garment that enslaves women. Dont see how anyone (other than aMuslim) cant see that?
If someone wnats to dress as Darth Vader thats up to them.

Not if they want Swiss nationality.

http://www.thelocal.ch/20160609/immigrant-family-denied-swiss-citizenship-over-choice-of-clothes

Just that Canton though and Imperial costumes were not tested.
Original post by MeYou2Night
Its progressive to want to rid the world or remove something from society, which I deem to be a regressive stone age garment that enslaves women. Dont see how anyone (other than aMuslim) cant see that?

Thats because you dont see a lot. I'm quite happy people should not be discriminated against and can wear what they want. Your answer is to ban things. If it doesnt affect me and it isnt illegal them im not bothered. I find people who wear pyjamas in supermarkets a bit odd, but it doesnt affect me. Cant really see why you are so insecure that you need to dictate what people can wear. Keep pushing the cause though. Do you live in a muslim area? When was the last time you sat next to someone wearing a Burka?
Thats because you dont see a lot. I'm quite happy people should not be discriminated against and can wear what they want. Your answer is to ban things. If it doesnt affect me and it isnt illegal them im not bothered. I find people who wear pyjamas in supermarkets a bit odd, but it doesnt affect me. Cant really see why you are so insecure that you need to dictate what people can wear. Keep pushing the cause though. Do you live in a muslim area? When was the last time you sat next to someone wearing a Burka?

At one point slavery was legal, and now it is banned and is illegal - do you oppose the banning this as you believe banning isnt progressive?

I like to see peoples faces. it is our culture too. You assimilate to the culture in which you live or have moved to. Dont like it? Move..

Thats why i have no problem with the Hijab for example as it doesnt cover your face. - its not a religious thing with me - its a cultural.

Why do you find that so hard to understand?
I see nothing wrong here.
Original post by Longshot004
I see nothing wrong here.

Thats because you're a sensible person :smile:
Thats because you're a sensible person :smile:

Erm, please don't confuse me though for someone who hates muslims though, I thought this post was gonna be about how The Swiss are banning muslims or something but this new rule means bringing more people together.
Its progressive to want to rid the world or remove something from society

Am I the only person here to be concerned that there is now a situation where the state has more say over how children are bought up than parents.

There is a general malaise of Islam = bad on this thread so most seem to support these actions, but imagine a scenario in this country where the government decided all kids should go to scouts or guides and some parents objected on the grounds of the Christian basis of the scouting movement but we're overruled in court. Would the UK be deemed sane? That parents had no choice but to ensure their kids participated?
Reply 29
Original post by ByEeek
Am I the only person here to be concerned that there is now a situation where the state has more say over how children are bought up than parents.

There is a general malaise of Islam = bad on this thread so most seem to support these actions, but imagine a scenario in this country where the government decided all kids should go to scouts or guides and some parents objected on the grounds of the Christian basis of the scouting movement but we're overruled in court. Would the UK be deemed sane? That parents had no choice but to ensure their kids participated?

Was it not a school run by the state? If so there is a simple solution home school or put them in a private school that will accommodate those beliefs.
If it is not and it is a private school then the parents should abide by the school rules.

If this was a science lesson would you support a push to make the lessons gender segregated?

In your scenario the parents could also start their own group or whatever it called.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ByEeek

The state will always have a huge say:

Examples in the UK

-your child must attend school (or some form offull time education) by law until 18 now I believe?
-your child isn't allowed to go to a pub/bar/club until their 18
-you're not allowed to starve your child
- your child isn't allowed to drive until they're 17
- you're child must not break the law
- you can't use you're child as a punching bag
- you can't feed your child bleach as punishment
-you can't perform an excorcism" on your child

What if parents think they should be allowed to go against these as: it's their child and if they want to do the opposite of these they can?

Plus some parents don't know what's best for their children. I'm a strong believer in not allowing anybody who wants a child, to have one.

Your example is silly - it is not the same as what the Swiss have done. The Swiss have stopped gender segregation - not forced religion on someone.

And as the other user said if it were a maths, science, IT etc lesson would you say the same? Or do you support gender segregation?
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm a strong believer in not allowing anybody who wants a child, to have one.

Only unwanted children permitted :confused:
Original post by nulli tertius
Only unwanted children permitted :confused:

Nothing to do with unwanted children.

Some people are just bad parents that let "perfect little jimmy", grow up to be a scummy yob who also will be a bad parent and bring up the same type of child.

People who will obsviously make an awful parent should not be allowed to have children. You know the type of people I mean whether you want to admit it or not.
Nothing to do with unwanted children.

Some people are just bad parents that let "perfect little jimmy", grow up to be a scummy yob who also will be a bad parent and bring up the same type of child.

People who will obsviously make an awful parent should not be allowed to have children. You know the type of people I mean whether you want to admit it or not.

Then surely you meant:-

I'm a strong believer in not allowing everybody who wants a child, to have one.
Original post by nulli tertius
Then surely you meant:-

I'm a strong believer in not allowing everybody who wants a child, to have one.

You know what I meant - don't be pendantic :tongue:

-your child must attend school (or some form offull time education) by law until 18 now I believe?
-your child isn't allowed to go to a pub/bar/club until their 18
-you're not allowed to starve your child
- your child isn't allowed to drive until they're 17
- you're child must not break the law
- you can't use you're child as a punching bag
- you can't feed your child bleach as punishment
-you can't perform an excorcism" on your child

But this isn't any of those. It is swimming. If a parent doesn't want their kids to do school swimming lessons fair dos. You may disagree but I object more to the compulsory nature of it. There are a gazzilion reasons kids don't do PE.
Original post by ByEeek
But this isn't any of those. It is swimming. If a parent doesn't want their kids to do school swimming lessons fair dos. You may disagree but I object more to the compulsory nature of it. There are a gazzilion reasons kids don't do PE.

Doesn't matter. The reason for this was specifically to stand against gender segregation which is not a reason not to do ANY lesson. If they had some sort of physical problem then fine but not because their parents demand gender segregation. If they don't liken the way Switzerland does things, they can leave - simple.
Doesn't matter. The reason for this was specifically to stand against gender segregation which is not a reason not to do ANY lesson. If they had some sort of physical problem then fine but not because their parents demand gender segregation. If they don't liken the way Switzerland does things, they can leave - simple.

And we wonder why levels of integration, tolerance and respect are so low.
Original post by ByEeek
And we wonder why levels of integration, tolerance and respect are so low.

Because we stand against gender segregation? Okay...

Are we meant to tolerate and respect gender segregation?

Are we meant to tolerate and respect gender segregation?

We already do. And indeed, we positively encourage it. We have girls state schools and boys state schools. We have the scouts and the guides. We have the Women's Institute and we have London Gentlemen's Clubs. We have ladies tennis clubs and men's golf clubs. Need I go on?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending