The Student Room Group

Uk Has Less Progressive Laws Than Morocco After It Bans The Burqa

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Good bloke
There are legal issues, as there are with garments that incite crimes.

As long as a garment doesn't physically harm someone, they should be allowed to wear it. I don't think it is the role of the government to determine what it's citizens can and cannot wear.
Only among the SJW thought police, and nobody adult or sane worries about what they think.

Right okay, So if you walk into your conservative association wearing a big Swastika i'm sure that no-one would have any problem with it or call you an anti-semite.

I'm also sure that if I were to walk into a Synagogue wearing a Swastika, no one would class it as anti-semitic either...
Original post by Bornblue
Right okay, So if you walk into your conservative association wearing a big Swastika i'm sure that no-one would have any problem with it or call you an anti-semite.

I'm also sure that if I were to walk into a Synagogue wearing a Swastika, no one would class it as anti-semitic either...

I was talking about the swastika, not the nazis' rotated swastika. I thought I made that clear.
Reply 63
Hammer and sickle is the reason you're not in auschwitz right now.
(edited 7 years ago)
I was talking about the swastika, not the nazis' rotated swastika. I thought I made that clear.

Again, go into a synagogue wearing any version of the swastika. I'm sure no one would have any complaints or be at all offended...

I've seen some crap written on this site, but to argue that wearing a swastika wouldn't be seen as anti-semitic probably tops the lot.
If someone wants to wear a Swastika and oust themselves as an anti-semite then they are welcome to. I want to know who the racists are.

I don't think the Burqa is a hate symbol really. The women who wear it by and large want to wear it.

What we should aim to do is create a society in which they don't want to wear it, we shouldn't just ban it. It won't work.

The women and girls who don't want to wear it,you're happy to make it easy for their male "owners" to force them to wear it?

If the wearing of the burka was illegal, forcing a woman to wear it in public would be impossible.
Reply 66

It's still a ridiculous assertion.
I guess there are hygiene issues associated with that.

What about nudists who are kind enough to place towels on all places they sit/their genitalia comes into contact with? Do you then feel it should be lawful to walk around naked?
Original post by joe cooley
The women and girls who don't want to wear it,you're happy to make it easy for their male "owners" to force them to wear it?

If the wearing of the burka was illegal, forcing a woman to wear it in public would be impossible.

How do you know women don't want to wear it?
Original post by Iridocyclitis
What about nudists who are kind enough to place towels on all places they sit/their genitalia comes into contact with? Do you then feel it should be lawful to walk around naked?

Sure.
Original post by Robby2312
The people saying that women should have a choice might actually have a point if women wore it out of free choice.They don't.They wear it because Islam compels them to with the threat of hell.Also it is frowned upon if they don't whether that is by family or by the community.Either way it's not a free choice. Escepicially not in the many Muslim countries where not covering up is a crime.The burqa is a symbol of oppression and extremism and it is beyond me why anybody would wish to keep it in Europe.

Original post by Damien96
Exactly.

Thankfully the debate is shifting, but it didn't help when France missed the point and tried to ban the burkini. The line has to be covering the face. At the very least we have to condemn the burqa as a society.

Islam doesn't tell them to wear a burqa and yes some may be forced but I know some who I've begged not to wear in public because they'll get bigoted idiots like you guys attacking them because you believe they're being forced to wear them. I mean how does that even work? "herp derp those women are being forced to wear the burqa, lemme abuse them to show them my support and let them know we in the west are tolerant unlike Islamic country X".

I personally believe they should be banned in hospitals, airports and high security areas. However, bigots who want to ban a piece of clothing because they feel threatened and blatantly lie that they're worried about those poor muslim women and then go on to abuse them infuriate me.
How do you know women don't want to wear it?

I don't.

However, i believe that many do not want to.

Now, how do you know that every woman wearing a burka does so by choice?
I don't.

However, i believe that many do not want to.

Now, how do you know that every woman wearing a burka does so by choice?

Where's your evidence that they are forced to?
If you are alleging wrongdoing or undue influence, then the burden of proof is on you.

Polls have time and time again shown that Muslim women want to wear it.

I don't like it but it's their choice.
If you are alleging wrongdoing or undue influence, then the burden of proof is on you.

I don't like it but it's their choice.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/the-imam-who-took-on-the-muslim-mccarthyists-1666126.html

"Muslim women are being brainwashed by men into adopting customs that are not a religious requirement. Islam is not about superficial tokens. When I see women adopting the niqab [full face veil] I want to tell them that the niqab isn't mentioned in the Koran. Nor are veils. The only thing the Koran says is to dress modestly."

But what does an Imam know about Islam compared to you?

WOW! A poll showing that 100% of burka wearers want to wear it, i'd really like to see that!

Do you have a link?
Banning items of clothing is neither enlightened nor liberal.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/the-imam-who-took-on-the-muslim-mccarthyists-1666126.html

"Muslim women are being brainwashed by men into adopting customs that are not a religious requirement. Islam is not about superficial tokens. When I see women adopting the niqab [full face veil] I want to tell them that the niqab isn't mentioned in the Koran. Nor are veils. The only thing the Koran says is to dress modestly."

But what does an Imam know about Islam compared to you?

WOW! A poll showing that 100% of burka wearers want to wear it, i'd really like to see that!

Do you have a link?

Okay let's put it this way. If women are being forced to wear it, then your proposal of making it illegal will punish them.

In other words, you want to punish women who are being forced to wear something...

Far better is to educate them so they don't want to wear it, rather that punishing the ones who you believe are forced to wear it.
Original post by l'etranger
Banning items of clothing is neither enlightened nor liberal.

Exactly. If the justification is that women are being forced to wear it, then by making it illegal you punish the victim.
Exactly. If the justification is that women are being forced to wear it, then by making it illegal you punish the victim.

Some women are being forced to wear it, others are not, it's only when it comes to Muslims we have hordes of angry White teenagers eager to um, help out Muslim women with an arbitrary and heavy handed ban which will harm as many people as it helps. It's almost as if the well-being of Muslim women is not the first priority here.
Original post by l'etranger
Some women are being forced to wear it, others are not, it's only when it comes to Muslims we have hordes of angry White teenagers eager to um, help out Muslim women with an arbitrary and heavy handed ban which will harm as many people as it helps. It's almost as if the well-being of Muslim women is not the first priority here.

Personally I want us to become a society where people don't want to wear a Burqa but a heavy handed, arbitrary ban doesn't solve the problem and actually punishes the wrong people.
Okay let's put it this way. If women are being forced to wear it, then your proposal of making it illegal will punish them.

In other words, you want to punish women who are being forced to wear something...

Far better is to educate them so they don't want to wear it, rather that punishing the ones who you believe are forced to wear it.

Hold on, you've gone from:

(no link to these polls though)

To

If women are being forced to wear it .

Can you please make your mind up.

Basically you're happy to facilitate the abuse and subjugation of some Muslim women by some Muslim men.

Seriously, is an opportunity to signal your virtue worth the price paid by these women?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending