The Student Room Group

Cambridge Medicine 2017 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jjcoolio
Offer from Murray Edwards, 2018 entry....!! Quite unexpected

2018 entry? how come?
Original post by I can do this
Well done man, just as expected! I got a rejection unfortunately, but everything will work itself out :smile: SO happy for you!!

nooooooooooooooooo, you have no idea how sad that makes me feel! You should've got it man, remember often these things are luck - it may have been a particular competitive year at Clare! Did you apply to imperial btw?
Original post by Lementation
2018 entry? how come?

Not a clue..... Caius pooled me - and Medwards thought I was good enough but didn't have spaces left for 2017 I suppose? Not a problem, though! Just means they didn't think I deserved a rejection which is always good!
Offer from clare college!!!!!!:d:d:d
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by helennic
Congratulations.
may I ask what your BMAT and GCE offer was. Which part of EU are you . I am from EU too . thanks

My BMAT was 5.4, 4.9, 3.5A and I've already got achieved IB grades, so it's an unconditional offer for me. I am from Poland. What about you? Are you an applicant?
Reply 705
Offer from Murray Edwards!!:eek::banana2:
Reply 706
Anyone else with A*A*AA offer?
Original post by emi01
Anyone else with A*A*AA offer?

Yep. My offer is A*A*AA with A* in biology and chemistry and A in maths and physics
Guys, congrats to all.

I am in year 12 and I have a few questions:
What did you guys get at GCSE?
(I got 11A*s 2As and B (state school and highest in year)- would that suffice?, as most AMAZING people on this threas probably have all A*S)
I am doing Chem, Bio, Maths and Economics A levels with EPQ on utilitarianism in medicine. Should I drop a subject, becuase I would rathe rget an offer of A*A*A than A*A*AA
I have had shadowed a consultant for a week, an oxford experimental psychologist for a week, when applying I will have volunteereeed for 2 years at a care home and I shall seek more work experience:smile: and apply to relevant summer school

What else do you guys think I could do to maximise my chances?
Do I have a chance?
Original post by jjcoolio
Not a clue..... Caius pooled me - and Medwards thought I was good enough but didn't have spaces left for 2017 I suppose? Not a problem, though! Just means they didn't think I deserved a rejection which is always good!

If anything, that's actually wonderful mate!!!! You've got this year to work hard and get 2A*'s and an A, then you've literally got an unconditional offer and can spend one whole year working and getting huge amounts of money, go travelling, visit family, spend a year with mum and dad and live your life before going into the crazy study mayhem of Cambridge medicine! And you can even go help volunteer at like homeless shelters and make food for them and stuff :smile: tbh, your 2018 entry sounds wicked. Wish I had that! It might be worth emailing just to be 100% sure they meant 2018 cuz that sounds v v v unusual. Email politely just double checking.
Original post by BULL14
Guys, congrats to all.

(I got 11A*s 2As and B (state school and highest in year)- would that suffice?, as most AMAZING people on this threas probably have all A*S)
I am doing Chem, Bio, Maths and Economics A levels with EPQ on utilitarianism in medicine. Should I drop a subject, becuase I would rathe rget an offer of A*A*A than A*A*AA
I have had shadowed a consultant for a week, an oxford experimental psychologist for a week, when applying I will have volunteereeed for 2 years at a care home and I shall seek more work experience:smile: and apply to relevant summer school

I have a chance?

GCSEs are great. Drop econ if u Cba with it or don't like it.
To maximise ur chance, take physics, do more work exp, read scientific books and articles and just binge on Wikipedia pages and YouTube videos on everything about the human body. Learn every organ and associated diseases and the clinical application, every system like hearing, smelling, tasting, seeing etc.
^ that's a huge amount of work, it's what I did and it aided me for interview. But do it because you enjoy it, not because you want to get into Cambridge. If you're prepared to do what I just said just for Cambridge, then you really should rethink applying to medicine. But I'm sure you're interesting into mechanisms like sensory reception - topics like phototransduction and olfaction and general sensory transduction mechanisms are so fascinating. I'm not allowed to say what was in my interview but I knew what the interviewer was asking for one of my interviews because of the binging I did - so that's the most "prep" u can do. Honestly mate, once you get an interview I think most of the decision lies on the inteview itself - and most of that is literally unpreparable. In hindsight, was the amount of work I spent preparing worth it? No, not at all. But I enjoyed the wider reading and I learnt a huge amount. So don't stress about it - if you don't get in, you don't get in. Just do what any normal person interested in medicine would do - read books and other stuff in your own time and go for it :smile: best of luck
GCSEs are great. Drop econ if u Cba with it or don't like it.
To maximise ur chance, take physics, do more work exp, read scientific books and articles and just binge on Wikipedia pages and YouTube videos on everything about the human body. Learn every organ and associated diseases and the clinical application, every system like hearing, smelling, tasting, seeing etc.
^ that's a huge amount of work, it's what I did and it aided me for interview. But do it because you enjoy it, not because you want to get into Cambridge. If you're prepared to do what I just said just for Cambridge, then you really should rethink applying to medicine. But I'm sure you're interesting into mechanisms like sensory reception - topics like phototransduction and olfaction and general sensory transduction mechanisms are so fascinating. I'm not allowed to say what was in my interview but I knew what the interviewer was asking for one of my interviews because of the binging I did - so that's the most "prep" u can do. Honestly mate, once you get an interview I think most of the decision lies on the inteview itself - and most of that is literally unpreparable. In hindsight, was the amount of work I spent preparing worth it? No, not at all. But I enjoyed the wider reading and I learnt a huge amount. So don't stress about it - if you don't get in, you don't get in. Just do what any normal person interested in medicine would do - read books and other stuff in your own time and go for it :smile: best of luck

Thank you so much. This is the best advice I have been ever given. Would you mind me asking your stats?
Original post by BULL14
Thank you so much. This is the best advice I have been ever given. Would you mind me asking your stats?

my first interview - 15% of it was aided by my reading of books
My second interview - 40% of it was aided by work experience, another 50% was aided by teaching myself the rest of A2 chemistry early
My third interview - 0% aided by any wider reading
The remaining % that I missed out came from my ability to discuss, reason and think. It involved maths, ethical thinking, clinical knowledge, analysis of stuff and on the spot thinking. Most of this was forged by AS level content and work experience.
As you can see, teaching yourself the rest of a2 biology and chemistry is a good idea. I missed that out in my previous post. Add that to your list of things to do.

My stats:

Spoiler

Original post by BULL14
Guys, congrats to all.

Do I have a chance?

Looks like you've got a pretty sick chance buddy! You're doing very well and should be proud of how hard you've worked so far. I am a current offer holder for Medicine at Peterhouse. Definitely where you should apply, no bias or anything I swear😉 I got:
4A* 5As and 2Bs in my GCSEs so way below average.
In my opinion for Cambridge, it's less about how much volunteering and work experience you've got. They're very important to do for other medical schools! But for Cambridge, they look for you to truly, truuuly LOVE what you do. If you can get across that at interview you'll be doing well. Also, being academically able is very important. I achieved AAAA at AS, with 90% UMS or above in Three of the four As. You need to show you're able to cope with the academic rigour Cambridge will bring!
In terms of dropping a subject- that is your choice. Personally, I dropped Physics and carried on with the typical Bio, Chem, Maths. But if you feel comfortable doing four- go for it! Always bare in mind, Cambridge would rather A*A*A* than A*AAA because you had too much work to do.
You're doing great so far, if you'd like to direct message me I'm more than happy to give you more info on what I did to get myself into medicine. If not, good luck with your road to medicine. If you want it bad enough- you will get it.
Original post by Elliottmanwaring
Looks like you've got a pretty sick chance buddy! You're doing very well and should be proud of how hard you've worked so far. I am a current offer holder for Medicine at Peterhouse. Definitely where you should apply, no bias or anything I swear😉 I got:
4A* 5As and 2Bs in my GCSEs so way below average.
In my opinion for Cambridge, it's less about how much volunteering and work experience you've got. They're very important to do for other medical schools! But for Cambridge, they look for you to truly, truuuly LOVE what you do. If you can get across that at interview you'll be doing well. Also, being academically able is very important. I achieved AAAA at AS, with 90% UMS or above in Three of the four As. You need to show you're able to cope with the academic rigour Cambridge will bring!
In terms of dropping a subject- that is your choice. Personally, I dropped Physics and carried on with the typical Bio, Chem, Maths. But if you feel comfortable doing four- go for it! Always bare in mind, Cambridge would rather A*A*A* than A*AAA because you had too much work to do.
You're doing great so far, if you'd like to direct message me I'm more than happy to give you more info on what I did to get myself into medicine. If not, good luck with your road to medicine. If you want it bad enough- you will get it.

Thank you very much for your support. And so MUCH CONGRATS on your offer. This is AMAZING. Would you advise me to do a science based EPQ, rather than philosophy (how far is utilitarianism being deployed in the NHS?)
And, as I live in Oxford, I have access to quite a few science based work experience (e.g. lab work), would that be any useful?
And does anyone have any tips on how to achieve a high UMS in AS Maths?
my first interview - 15% of it was aided by my reading of books
My second interview - 40% of it was aided by work experience, another 50% was aided by teaching myself the rest of A2 chemistry early
My third interview - 0% aided by any wider reading
The remaining % that I missed out came from my ability to discuss, reason and think. It involved maths, ethical thinking, clinical knowledge, analysis of stuff and on the spot thinking. Most of this was forged by AS level content and work experience.
As you can see, teaching yourself the rest of a2 biology and chemistry is a good idea. I missed that out in my previous post. Add that to your list of things to do.

My stats:

Spoiler

Wow, thank you so much.Your AS UMS is above extraordinary. Do you have any tips for doing so well for AS Maths? I am doing stats 1 and C1 C2 OCR. May I ask what you use to revise for generally and specifically for Maths
Original post by BULL14
Wow, thank you so much.Your AS UMS is above extraordinary. Do you have any tips for doing so well for AS Maths? I am doing stats 1 and C1 C2 OCR. May I ask what you use to revise for generally and specifically for Maths

Do every single past paper, and make sure you're careful in the exam :smile:
ALL OFFER HOLDERS:
we have a facebook group for medic offer holders.
PM me your Facebook name so I can add you to it!
Original post by BULL14
Guys, congrats to all.

Do I have a chance?

I would say go for it. The only thing you can do is try and it sounds like you've got everything to make a strong application.
Original post by y.l1
Got an Open Offer! Does anyone else have this too?

I also have an open offer! I hadn't heard of it until I got one though!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending