The Student Room Group

Are you serious?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Chichaldo
I'm not a girl so I'm not in the best place to state a view but in the current position of this being not allowed shows it's possible to work whilst on your period. However I understand that for some it could be near impossible to work or simply unbearable and you shouldn't be obliged too and miss out as a result. But the poll suggests everyone will get one, which would surely be exploited by those who could easily work. Also, do they not last for a week and not a day? A week would certainly be out of the question unless it is near impossible or unbearable as aforementioned.

Hang on? Who says it is not allowed? It is. I know a woman who suffers really badly with her period, as in throws up and feels faint, and she is allowed to go home. If a person is unfit to work that day because of health reasons, then that person phones in sick. It's not a case of that 'not being allowed' because a period is the cause. I highly doubt a woman has been denied a day off because of her period. And, since you are commenting about something of which you know little (oh, internet!) you might like to know that while a period lasts a whole week, it is often only a day or two that causes the suffering.

And anyway, what with more and more women becoming bosses, the idea that a woman can call in sick because of her period will probably lose its stigma. No more ignorance from people who don't know what they are talking about. No more situations of a woman being ignored by a man who refuses to acknowledge what she is saying, on the grounds that he has no experience in that matter whatsoever, yet somehow believes he is objectively right.

If the workplace was equal, and certain men didn't ridicule and diminish womens problems, then there wouldn't be a fuss about a woman missing work if she suffers with her period. The first step to this, is ignorant people acknowledging that a period that can be painful. And that pain is real, it is not a woman being irrational and overreacting.

If a woman loses a significant amount of time over this, then as with any case of an employee having a high sickness record, it'll be checked and she'll have to provide evidence that her period significantly inhibits her from working. Oh, maybe one day woman's issues will be regarded in the same vein as any other health issue. But of course, many naturally jump to the conclusion that women will use this as an opportunity to have loads of days off, because, when it comes down to it, women don't want to work....do they.

I will say that this defensive response is a response to many comments in this thread. I currently only know the world of academia (liberal intelligent men) and fashion retail (women and gay men) and so I can honestly say that I haven't experienced any discrimination against women taking a day off because of their period.
Reply 101
Original post by Nirvana1989-1994
I really don't care, I'll get you banned mate for trying to cause an argument in the first place.

Good, actually go to bed this time, and don't pretend. :h:

Seriously, stop. Reported again.
Original post by Wardog
Seriously, stop. Reported again.

Yeah, I've reported you too, for posting inflammatory things.

Just do what you said and go to bed.
Reply 103
Yeah, I've reported you too, for posting inflammatory things.

Just do what you said and go to bed.

What exactly did I say that is offensive? If you're offended that I called you aggressive then i apologise. You however need to stop harassing people on the internet, not cool. This is bullying.
Reply 104
Your first reply to me, wasn't exactly 'cool', Mate, the only person doing the 'bullying' here is you. You keep replying, and insulting me, and then you post on my profile for some reason.

Wow you're a really mean person you know that? Why dont you go and take a look at what I said, ive opened up about my mental condition and you continue to attack me!
Original post by Wardog
Wow you're a really mean person you know that? Why dont you go and take a look at what I said, ive opened up about my mental condition and you continue to attack me!

Idc about that, I care that you won't leave me alone.
Original post by Inexorably
I hope you get cancer :smile:

You're a vile and disgusting being for using cancer as an insult. Grow up .
Original post by Inexorably
I hope you get cancer :smile:

why would you say this?
Original post by cherryred90s
Nobody said that being on your period automatically warrants a day off.

No, worse than that, they're saying being a women automatically warrants an extra day a month off, period or not.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by liberty cap
No, worse than that, they're saying being a women automatically warrants an extra day a month off, period or not.

Who said that
Who said that

Original post by discobish
So in Zambia women are allowed to take a day off for their period once a month, also known as 'Mother's Day'. :borat:

This day doesn't have to be taken on 'day one' - it can be taken at any time of the month when ladies feel their menstrual cycle is interrupting their work (e.g. stomach cramps/back aches leading up to etc). (Read it in full here)

Do you think this law is something that should be practiced in England/other countries? :hmmmm:

Here's the op for the original thread
Original post by liberty cap
Here's the op for the original thread

I think they meant any day of their period because cramps can occur throughout. PMS can be bad too but I don't see why you'd need a day off for that
(edited 7 years ago)
I think they meant any day of their period because cramps can occur throughout. PMS can be bad too but I don't see why you'd need a day off for that

Don't think so, they were talking specifically about Zambia.

www.independent.co.uk/news/world/africa/zambia-period-day-off-women-menstruation-law-gender-womens-rights-a7509061.html

All women can claim a mothers day at any time of the month, it needn't be due to their period, they just need to be ill or at least make sure to stay at home all day.
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm happy I'm a guy. Screw this period crap, sounds awful. :rofl:
Original post by Twinpeaks
Ahh here we go, a guy weighing in when he knows nothing.
:colonhash:

Period pain, sickness, etc tends to peak at its worst for 1-2 days for most girls. Yes, some girls are unfortunate enough to suffer extreme cramps and sickness for the duration, but for many, there tends to be 'the worst' day.

I don't believe you can dispute that people can't work whilst on their period as people clearly do and have done for years, but I did say "However I understand that for some it could be near impossible to work or simply unbearable and you shouldn't be obliged too and miss out as a result" and wasn't ruling it out all together.
Original post by SophiaNeuning

Hang on? Who says it is not allowed? It is. I know a woman who suffers really badly with her period, as in throws up and feels faint, and she is allowed to go home. If a person is unfit to work that day because of health reasons, then that person phones in sick. It's not a case of that 'not being allowed' because a period is the cause. I highly doubt a woman has been denied a day off because of her period. And, since you are commenting about something of which you know little (oh, internet!) you might like to know that while a period lasts a whole week, it is often only a day or two that causes the suffering.

And anyway, what with more and more women becoming bosses, the idea that a woman can call in sick because of her period will probably lose its stigma. No more ignorance from people who don't know what they are talking about. No more situations of a woman being ignored by a man who refuses to acknowledge what she is saying, on the grounds that he has no experience in that matter whatsoever, yet somehow believes he is objectively right.

If the workplace was equal, and certain men didn't ridicule and diminish womens problems, then there wouldn't be a fuss about a woman missing work if she suffers with her period. The first step to this, is ignorant people acknowledging that a period that can be painful. And that pain is real, it is not a woman being irrational and overreacting.

If a woman loses a significant amount of time over this, then as with any case of an employee having a high sickness record, it'll be checked and she'll have to provide evidence that her period significantly inhibits her from working. Oh, maybe one day woman's issues will be regarded in the same vein as any other health issue. But of course, many naturally jump to the conclusion that women will use this as an opportunity to have loads of days off, because, when it comes down to it, women don't want to work....do they.

I will say that this defensive response is a response to many comments in this thread. I currently only know the world of academia (liberal intelligent men) and fashion retail (women and gay men) and so I can honestly say that I haven't experienced any discrimination against women taking a day off because of their period.

"However I understand that for some it could be near impossible to work or simply unbearable and you shouldn't be obliged too and miss out as a result", I've clearly stated that if someone is unable to work they should be allowed a day off... don't get your tampon in a twist.
Original post by SophiaNeuning

Certain people will ridicule and diminish any and all health problems, are womens problems really any worse in this respect than say mental health problems, or autoimmune disease?
Original post by Mshaga94
You know what a cramp is? A simple, straightforward cramp? I guess you have had several throughout the course of your life, and might even found them to be painful? Or maybe you have enjoyed the ones you've had? Or maybe you are a couchpotatoe who has never engaged in physical activity and experienced the pain of a cramp?

It is not our fault that SOME women have a uterus that contracts with such force during our periods that it cuts off it's own oxygen supply and causes pain.

And by the way, if men had a muscle in their body, that for one day a month had a cramp for 24 hours, you would all have synced your periods and declared a monthly world wide "Men's day off" years ago....

Random assertions are fun, well men are biologically inclined to be easily aroused so they should have a 'day of relief' off with full paid perks right? It's not their fault biology made them horny! If I ring in sick with a splitting headache, a concussion or a broken leg I'm harassed until the last possible minute they realise I can't come in and then don't pay me as a 'no show'. Why does a different condition get special treatment? A member of my family has anemia so can't work every day due to random basically paralysing tiredness and fatigue and they don't get paid on days they physically can't be there.

Add to this how would you tell how many women are actually suffering and those who can't be bothered to turn up but want to get paid anyway? It's not as if 100% of women all have this horrible debilitating reaction, especially at schools and other careers dominated by women how would they cope if they kept getting random calls about period pains and a third of their staff just didn't show up but got paid anyway? They'd be breaking the law by not looking after the kids properly, and every working day would be chaos. It's a nice idea in theory but where is the practicality? Should they have a 'reserves list' of men who can turn up if the women are experiencing period pain? (I'm sure that would be called sexist), should they force their colleagues to work twice as hard to cover their absence (businesses only have as many staff working as they need)? Will the entirety of corporate culture change to give one day off a month? Should the day be written down? Mandated? Logged? Should businesses have 'period absence databases'? How would this work practically

Original post by Nicoley-oley
As a girl who suffers with debilitating period pains, I can see why this is being considered.

Periods are something we have little control over, and being forced to work on a day when you feel like you can't even stand up is horrible. Not every woman will need this day or so off but some women will.

People who don't experience such severe period pains or even experience periods at all shouldn't have an opinion on this because quite frankly it doesn't at all affect them.

So the discussion about leave which would affect everyone should only be had by certain people? Riiight

Original post by Tiger Rag
Oh what a surprise - men discussing issues about painful periods. I assume you've dealt with a period which has mean you can't walk, (which codeine doesn't touch) you've vomited or you've had back ache? And if you vomit, you can't go to work for 48 hours.

And no, the pill doesn't cure those issues. I was put on the pill because my period was giving me migraine. I still get the back / kidney pain. There are issues with the pill as well. My periods are now all over the place.

So men can't have an opinion why? You've never been kicked in the balls but if there was a discussion about that nobody would say 'women go away you don't have testicles'. Its ridiculous in every sense of the word.
Original post by GonvilleBromhead

So men can't have an opinion why? You've never been kicked in the balls but if there was a discussion about that nobody would say 'women go away you don't have testicles'. Its ridiculous in every sense of the word.

You've never had a period; so how the hell do you know what they feel like?

Men in this thread and the other have just said to take the pill or other medication and we'll be fine. if only it was that simple. It's not. And the pill has side effects.
(edited 7 years ago)
There was this one time, during class, i started to get really sick. And went to the toilet and realised it was my periods. I told my medical teacher to call my mum to pick me up because my vision was getting blurry and I had the worst migraine. She was like "it's just periods, we all get it" and sent me back to class. I eventually, fainted and spent 4 days at the hospital. No lie. And it was all to do with my periods.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending