The Student Room Group

If you could go back and do secondary school all over again, would you?

I just found a load of photos from I think around year 7-9 and it's making me quite nostalgic :redface:

How did you all find secondary school? If you could go back and do it all over again would you (or even a certain year?)
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Yeah definitely
Reply 2
I will start by mentioning that my situation may be a bit confusing since I come from a country in which years 6-9 are middle school and years 10-13 are high school, yet moved to the UK after year 11 (I also repeated year 11 in the UK since I went to school with the April 1997-March 1998 generation when I am born in October 1998, and was thus too young for year 12 in the UK), so I went to three 'secondary schools'.

I would indeed go back and change a lot of things. First of all, I would actually study in middle school and in my UK secondary school and try not to have such a horrible attendance. I am pleased with my performance and attendance in the high school I was in before coming to the UK, so I would not change much about that academically or attendance-wise.

As for the social part of things, I would try to make friends in all of these. That is the area in which I have always been lacking.

Oh, and I would start volunteering at the age of 16 so I would not find myself with no work experience whatsoever at the age of 18 (which is my current situation).

In addition, I would choose other subjects at AS.

Now that I think about it, I think I may not even choose to move to the UK since I was supposed to be in my first year of university right now, but of course, since I had to repeat a year due to my age (even though my grades were good), I am now in year 13. Or, well, I would at least apply straight for AS despite my age. I would also tell my sister to choose A-levels instead of BTEC since she has now missed two years of school due to making the mistakes of going for a BTEC and moving back to our home country after a single year.

Overall, I found them to be meh. Just another passing period of my life, in which I made mistakes, had good times, had bad times, and experienced new things.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
No
**** no. In high school I was largely surrounded by ****s and a few people who were actually nice. I would, however, love to re-live my undergraduate degree without the social awkwardness that I suffered (particularly in first year) because of my high school experience.
Absolutely not! It was a *****y time in my life.

I would be happy to do undergrad uni again though; I miss those days.
Reply 6
Yes. I'd do everything so different and not get a detention every day, plus loads of exclusions and I'd stop myself getting expelled from school at the end of year 9 because I ended up in a sh**hole school for 6 months and flopped my GCSEs because I couldn't catch up. Glad I got myself together but it'll haunt me for ages just wish I could go back and draw the lines
I was horrifically bullied at school which caused anxiety that lasts to this day over a decade later, I was happy with my actual grades though as I worked hard for them and loved half terms and Easter/Summer/Christmas holidays and a general easy life.

Really depends, I think I would go back if it meant I could relive my life after that too and make new changes, like when I was timid aged 17 but got a lot of female attention, not dropping out of college aged 18 and not going back to 24, not sure about different field too as I studied Media originally but with the foreknowledge of blogging and online I could redo electronics or IT which I have natural skill in and could be well paid if I did it at young age.

Or just do the media course I did as it was an amazing year/2 years and then study electronics/IT after.
Not really, I think it's always best to keep moving forward. Fond memories of secondary school though, even year 7 when all the hard kids wanted to assert their dominance and I ended up getting sent home for fighting about once a week just for sticking up for myself :lol:
Yessss and then no only cos year 7 to 10 were the days I missed the most in secondary school
nope, hate school and hate uni
When people are like "high school were the best years of my life" and you're Just like "can't relate"
Original post by emerald7770
When people are like "high school were the best years of my life" and you're Just like "can't relate"

I know, right? I cannot wait to finish high school. I have been so done with high school for, like, two years now? I am very eager to go to university, get a job, and start my adult life. High school was not the best time of my life and I do not care anymore. I just want it to be over already :rolleyes:

Now I am starting to have doubts regarding whether I would go back since this post reminded me just how sick of high school I am. :laugh:
i would rather drink bleach lmfao
NEVER. Onwards and upwards!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Michiyo
I know, right? I cannot wait to finish high school. I have been so done with high school for, like, two years now? I am very eager to go to university, get a job, and start my adult life. High school was not the best time of my life and I do not care anymore. I just want it to be over already :rolleyes:

Now I am starting to have doubts regarding whether I would go back since this post reminded me just how sick of high school I am. :laugh:

You know, I totally agree with high school being so tiring and dreadful but the adult life really isn't glamorous either. Comes with a lot of responsibility leading to stress and obviously no free rides on the bus because our child oysters will be long gone lol. But yeah, same. High school was hella depressing for me but has also taught me a lot of lessons. Especially about friends. But straight line graphs didn't teach me **** lol
What a load of old ****, take your rose-tinted glasses off. Worst years of my life, the sleepless Sunday nights, the mental torture, the misreable PE Lessons and the social battlefield of a comprehensive Secondary School. I would rather gargle ten pints of bleach. Year 7 was awful you're suddenly ripped from the comforts of Primary School and SATs...(oh how I miss those) then thrown in the deep-end and seperated from all your primary school friends one-by-one, forced to make friends with backstabbing snakes and care about ramdom crap and trends that you didn't give two flying fks about before. Before you're indoctrinated with literall textbooks filled with ******** in order to condition the next working class into drones and use a quadratic equation to figure out the probability that Hannah picks an orange sweet out of the bag when she can just look in the fkng bag, I can think of a place or two she can shove it.

TL;DR: No I don't miss it.
Lol, I would appreciate my old Bio teacher about 1000000 times more than I did at the time. Also would have stood up to my parents about getting a tutor. I really needed one and now I'm suffering *cough*mathscangosuckthesenuts*cough*
Original post by prazzyjazzy
Lol, I would appreciate my old Bio teacher about 1000000 times more than I did at the time. Also would have stood up to my parents about getting a tutor. I really needed one and now I'm suffering *cough*mathscangosuckthesenuts*cough*

Maths is one of the easiest subjects to self teach - lots of youtube videos and stuff.

@TeeEm knows the location of some great resources too..
Original post by hezzlington
Maths is one of the easiest subjects to self teach - lots of youtube videos and stuff.

@TeeEm knows the location of some great resources too..

Aiyah, I'm not taking it for A Levels so I don't see the use. Years of terrible maths teachers has left me with a burning hatred for the subject. *cough*but physics is gr8*cough*

Quick Reply

Latest