The Student Room Group

maths alevel

what actually are asymptotes and could you give some examples
Original post by Mf1999

Asymptotes are functions which your main function approaches as xx tends to a particular value or ±\pm \infty

For example; the asymptotes of y=1x+2y=\frac{1}{x+2} are y=0y=0 and x=2x=-2 because for those values the function is not defined. If I was to change the denominator into y1=1(x+2)(x1)y_1=\frac{1}{(x+2)(x-1)} then I still retain the two asymptotes as above but I also have one more which is at x=1x=1 as the function is now not defined at that point.

Another example; y=tan(x)y=\tan(x) has asymptotes at x=π2+πn,nNx=\frac{\pi}{2} + \pi n, \forall n \in \mathbb{N} so the graph approaches x=π2x=\frac{\pi}{2}, and x=3π2x=\frac{3\pi}{2}, and π2\frac{-\pi}{2} etc...

Another example; y=x2+2x+1x25x+8y=\frac{x^2+2x+1}{x^2-5x+8} has an asymptote at y=1y=1 but this is one of the scenarios where the curve DOES intersect the asymptote (at 1,1) unlike most others which are more common. The function merely has to approach the asymotote, not necessarily avoid intersecting it. So as x±x\rightarrow \pm \infty the function tends to 1 hence why y=1 is the asymptote.

Final example; y=x3+2x2+7x+1x+2y=\frac{x^3+2x^2+7x+1}{x+2} has an asymptote of y=x2+7y=x^2+7 because the original function can be represented as y=x2+713x+2y=x^2+7-\frac{13}{x+2} so as x±x \rightarrow \pm \infty you have yx2+7y\rightarrow x^2+7 so this is an example of a non-linear asymptote that the original graph approaches.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Mf1999

Asymptotes are points on a graph which a line doesn't usually meet as the values are undefined, and instead gets closer and closer to that and carries on infinitely.

It's usually shown graphically with dashed lines like this

RDKGames has provided some good examples and explanations above which are probably of more use :h:

Quick Reply

Latest