The Student Room Group

Tristram Hunt quits Labour for the V&A

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/01/13/tristram-hunt-quits-labour-mp-triggering-by-election-brexit/

Telegraph runs poll "Who would you rather work for? 1. The V&A 2. Corbyn's Labour" It's currently not that close.
Reply 1
I wish I could say that this was a surprise but there will more before the year is over. I think Labour has a tricky battle against UKIP here.
Original post by meenu89
I wish I could say that this was a surprise but there will more before the year is over. I think Labour has a tricky battle against UKIP here.

UKIP will win it - Paul Nuttall will stand I think.
Reply 3
"Mr Hunt's V&A appointment was signed off by Theresa May and the Culture Secretary Karen Bradley."

PM: Good work, Agent Hunt. Did anyone suspect?
TH: Thank you, Ma'am. It wasn't easy being named Tristram, but I know a lot about Marx and Engels, so they let me be.
PM: Any suggestions for candidate for your old seat?
TH: I was thinking Katie Hopkins. She'll take every. Single. Vote.
It is going to be a fascinating by election. Four way.

The Labour vote is up for grabs. They won't be making any voter gains and need to hold onto what votes they can.

Which leaves the Tories, UKIP and the Lib Dems.

The Lib Dems could well pick up Remain votes from both Labour and the Tories. But they are starting from a very low base. UKIP will pick up votes from Labour but could lose them to the Tories. Stoke isn't natural Tory territory but Leave voters will want to support this Brexit Gov't.

I think Labour could hold on with a vastly reduced majority, if only because the anti Labour vote is so split.

It shows you how bad things are for Labour though. Hunt is a bright guy and clearly realise he will never become a Minister so a proper job at the V and A is preferable to being in opposition for ever, listening to Labour's lefty nonsense which he personally despises.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending