The Student Room Group

I've been offered admission, but I can't afford it.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TomHibbs12
One option is to try crowdfunding.Often people will donate a portion of your fees to go, and I've heard stories of this being successfull

And many sites let you collect the money ever if the target's not hit so in any case, free money.
Original post by Little Toy Gun
Indeed, plenty have done that. But I don't think Oxford gives undergraduates particularly more opportunities, and it's possible to work with academics from another university so I don't see how that's a reason for going to Oxford for undergraduate studies.

Well no it's definitely not just Oxford (Imperial even has actual formal university-wide schemes to get undergrads into research), I was responding to someone who said that research opportunities are very limited which isn't entirely fair.
Original post by Plagioclase
Are you sure about that? I found it pretty easy to get a research placement and I know many other undergraduates who have done similar things...

Ah. You'd know better than me. Scratch some of that then.
Original post by Plagioclase
Well no it's definitely not just Oxford (Imperial even has actual formal university-wide schemes to get undergrads into research), I was responding to someone who said that research opportunities are very limited which isn't entirely fair.

Indeed, plenty have done that. But I don't think Oxford gives undergraduates particularly more opportunities, and it's possible to work with academics from another university so I don't see how that's a reason for going to Oxford for undergraduate studies.

As I pointed out earlier in the thread, doing research is part of the Oxford biochem course. Just like it is for other science courses. You can't pass without it... That's why they are 4 year integrated masters courses.

I don't know what other unis are like.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by nexttime
As I pointed out earlier in the thread, doing research is part of the Oxford biochem course. Just like it is for other science courses. You can't pass without it... That's why they are all 4 year integrated masters courses.

Oh you mean that final research project year? That's the same for all undergraduate masters and one might make the argument that all undergrad degrees with a dissertation are similar to that.
Original post by nexttime
As I pointed out earlier in the thread, doing research is part of the Oxford biochem course. Just like it is for other science courses. You can't pass without it... That's why they are 4 year integrated masters courses.

Well that's what all integrated masters courses are like, I assumed the OP meant additional research.

Countries with Her Majesty as their head of state are called "Commonwealth realms". Commonwealth countries are all members of The Commonwealth of Nations.

Haha that Trump lol! Okay I see that :smile:
Original post by Moura
Unfortunately university is subsidised for British students because our parents pay tax and international students have to pay the full fee... it can't really be helped as they bring a lot of money to the university and if the fees were cheaper it might not cover the costs and there would be too many applicants.

"Unfortunately"?
Surely you are glad it is?

I dont see why anyone should expect to be able to study in another country as a right! Why should other people fund you?

The OP has already been given excellent advice, to do an undergraduate degree in his own country and then top it up with a masters, maybe overseas.

I think there should be commonwealth exceptions though it's pretty unfair after everything we've done..

There are generous scholarships for the very best students. Surely youre not suggesting British people should pay for every Commonwealth student who wants to come here? You must be mad!
Reply 188
Original post by Ringstone
You need to be talking to the university - Oxbridge is not short of a bob or two and neither are their alumni. They will be able to point you in the direction of possible funding streams - but at the end of the day no cash, no go.

Will do.
Overseas students face essentially the same conditions that American citizens do if the go to private colleges - catastrophically high tuition rates. I am surprised that members of the commonwealth are not offered some kind of dispensation or UK-like fees.
Original post by CurryHead
Yep, boards in Feb-March. Going through some particularly harrowing preboards though.

Haha if I don't die during pre boards, I'll surely die when boards arrive.

Even though I've not applied to Oxford ( it doesn't offer my course) I know british council offers scholarship.
It won't pay you as much, but something.
All the best!
Reply 191
Crowdfunding?
Original post by Moura
Unfortunately university is subsidised for British students because our parents pay tax and international students have to pay the full fee... it can't really be helped as they bring a lot of money to the university and if the fees were cheaper it might not cover the costs and there would be too many applicants.

I think there should be commonwealth exceptions though it's pretty unfair after everything we've done...

My parents have been paying tax for 5 years here and we have two houses here yet I don't have a passport so I have to pay double or whatever that British citizens have to pay :biggrin:
Original post by ANM775
If you really want to study here and are prepared to wait, then move to the UK and live here for like 3 - 5 years [or for the time to elapse for you to be eligible for government funding] then apply for the universities again.

simples.

And just how can this be done? I mean you need a visa. So which visa would do this favour
Original post by gonza nelson
And just how can this be done? I mean you need a visa. So which visa would do this favour

unless I am mistaken a visa is what you need for a temporary stay. You would actually need to become a British citizen to be eligible for government funding for university ..therefore a visa would not help you.

tbh, it doesn't seem like it's that hard to move to the UK [to live permanently], as we get so much immigration each year that the British people have had enough and have voted for Brexit.

If I were you, I would look into moving sooner rather than later as once we leave the EU it will be harder for foreigners to come and live here.

I remember once I was curious about going to university in wales or scotland [I can't remember which] because university was completely free in one of those places. After I did my research it turns out that I would not be eligible for free university there as I lived in England ...and I would need to be living in scotland or wales for 3 - 5 years before I would be eligible for free university
Original post by ANM775
unless I am mistaken a visa is what you need for a temporary stay. You would actually need to become a British citizen to be eligible for government funding for university ..therefore a visa would not help you.

tbh, it doesn't seem like it's that hard to move to the UK [to live permanently], as we get so much immigration each year that the British people have had enough and have voted for Brexit.

If I were you, I would look into moving sooner rather than later as once we leave the EU it will be harder for foreigners to come and live here.

I remember once I was curious about going to university in wales or scotland [I can't remember which] because university was completely free in one of those places. After I did my research it turns out that I would not be eligible for free university there as I lived in England ...and I would need to be living in scotland or wales for 3 - 5 years before I would be eligible for free university

I guess I should take the plane now.
Original post by alcibiade
I am surprised that members of the commonwealth are not offered some kind of dispensation or UK-like fees.

Student Finance England can't really afford to fund English students, nevermind the potentially 2.3 billion in the Commonwealth (of which 1+ billion alone are in India)...
Original post by gonza nelson
I guess I should take the plane now.

I found this link:

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/who-qualifies

Your nationality or residency status

You can apply if all of the following apply:

you’re a UK national or have ‘settled status’ (no restrictions on how long you can stay)

you normally live in England

you’ve been living in the UK for 3 years before starting your course

It does seem like it is indeed possible to do what I suggested.
To be absolutely sure though, I would give them a call [and lie] and say you are from India and have already been living in the UK for 3 years but you have no money for university ...and ask them what options are available to you. If they say yes, you can receive funding then this will confirm that all you need to do is move to the UK for 3 years and then re apply to universities and you will get funding.
Reply 198
Original post by Mair18919
"Unfortunately"?
Surely you are glad it is?

I dont see why anyone should expect to be able to study in another country as a right! Why should other people fund you?

The OP has already been given excellent advice, to do an undergraduate degree in his own country and then top it up with a masters, maybe overseas.

There are generous scholarships for the very best students. Surely youre not suggesting British people should pay for every Commonwealth student who wants to come here? You must be mad!

Obviously I meant unfortunately for OP... the rest of my post went on to explain why internationals don't get subsidised...
I wouldn't bother putting yourself under too much financial stress. I was in a similar situation to you a few years back, only i'm a UK student who was accepted to a university abroad. The UK doesn't provide any financial support for its own students if they study abroad, annoyingly, unlike most of the rest of the world.

I decided to just roll with it and see what happens. The costs were nowhere close to what you've mentioned in your OP, but I spent the money that I had managed to save on tuition and accommodation fees for the first year. After realising that staying wasn't financially viable, I had to return home after at the end of that year. It was an enjoyable year in truth, so I don't have too many regrets, but I suppose in the long run it set me back both time-wise (as I wound up applying to UK universities a couple of years later) and financially.

Quick Reply

Latest