The Student Room Group

Would you pick passion over money?

I've seen alot of my friends with this problem and sometimes I don't know what kind of advice to give them. I want them to be happy but I also don't want them living off a small salary for the rest of their lives when they could have been earning almost twice as much if they picked something else that they aren't passionate about.

(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Jas1947
I was just wondering if you guys would pick something you enjoy despite others saying that it's "worthless" or if you would pick something that you find boring but get paid more.

Passion, 100%!:biggrin:
I would pick passion over money any day! My passion is to be a mental health nurse and to me the money is just a perk, id be okay with just the gratification of helping someone through a tough time :smile:
I would happily take a small paycut for a job that I enjoy a lot more, but luckily I have a passion for law.
But my passion is money so I would likley take a job with more money
Money to get started, then passion all the way. My partner wants to be a primary school teacher and will get a bursary for doing so, but he gets double the bursary if he becomes a seconday school teacher. So, he's gonna be a secondary school teacher for a few years for the bursary, then switch to primary.
Reply 5
Original post by MeganJayne99
I would pick passion over money any day! My passion is to be a mental health nurse and to me the money is just a perk, id be okay with just the gratification of helping someone through a tough time :smile:

Wow that's a really nice thing to do
Original post by Jas1947
Wow that's a really nice thing to do

Thanks! But its all ive ever wanted to do!
Life is a lot tougher if you hate your job.

No job is all fun but if you enjoy what you're doing then it doesn't feel as much like work.

You spend 40+ years of your life working - and (excluding sleep) will spend more time at work than you have free. The prospect of spending all of that time toiling at way at something you dislike (even if the money is amazing and you can retire after 20 years) is difficult.
majority of workers are sadly in jobs they hate simply because they need the money. only the lucky few ones are getting paid to do a job they love

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending